Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having an open gun built should I ?

sandrooney

my vote goes to HARD CHROME.. get chrome first ... save the extra bucks for ammo ,,, I just got my 3rd STI STeel Master hard chromed.. I have to manually cycle it.. I only shot about 30 rds thru it.. and its already getting easier.. it almost cycles.... so I went to a different spring on the recoil master.. will shoot it at the range this weekend to help break it in..

Edited by cecil

Don't know why you would assume you would need a preliminary finish waiting for the better finish to follow. While I have 1 open in IonBond, which looks as good as the day I took delivery, the rest of my opens and limiteds are Hard Chrome. I think Hard Chrome will last longer and handle the wear much more gracefully. If taken care of properly it may never need refinishing. Going forward it will be my finish of choice.

It is my humble opinion that one should shoot and break in a gun in the "white" meaning no finish. Then when she is running good apply the finish of choice.

Being somewhat new to race guns curious why you would want to break it in in the "white" before choosing a finish. Wouldn't the slide to frame fit change (tighten) after finishing then requiring another "break in" period?

For just that very reason. The gun settles and allows you to add a finish that, depending on the finish, could add up to .001" snugging things up. If you go straight to a finish, depending on the quality of the fit and machine work, could be too tight but it will eventually shoot in.

It is my preference when building a gun to make it as tight as operationally sound. Shoot it for about 500rds and decided if any changes or additions need to be made then apply the finish of choice. This gives me more time to make the correct decisions.

I think instant gratification when building any sort of precision custom comes at the detriment of quality and accuracy.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

It is my humble opinion that one should shoot and break in a gun in the "white" meaning no finish. Then when she is running good apply the finish of choice.

Being somewhat new to race guns curious why you would want to break it in in the "white" before choosing a finish. Wouldn't the slide to frame fit change (tighten) after finishing then requiring another "break in" period?

This is true. You are shooting it to make sure it works. Its "harder" to work on hard chrome haha

Even the best smith can have a gremlin gun that requires a trip back. That said many many smiths ship guns hard chromed that work great. I'll bet they test em in the white first though, then hard chrome

Does nitride qpq give anything close to the wear protection of hard chrome? I really like my gun black

Cerakote black over the nitride treatment. The nitride black stuff rubs off but treatment stays in the metal.