Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal bull barrel

achard

the AET barrel has less recoil since the rifling (groove) is far different than the usual barrel. the AET's rifling starts going straight and half-way goes twisting like the usual barrel does so it gives out less recoil than the other barrels. now the difference of Bar-sto from others, is of course, bar-sto has the reputation...but that doesn't mean shuemann or other barrel makers are not good at what they do, it's just that for me the ultimate barrels are the AET and bar-sto. barsto is considered as the lightest bull-barrel in the market since the bigger part of the barsto starts from the muzzle and decreases towards the middle unlike others, it's full bull barrel from muzzle to the lugs. instead of buying from the stores in manila look for people who can sell it to u (personal barrels of shooters) it's not that i'm bad-mouthing the stores out there it's just that u'll save tons of money rather than buying from gun stores. just my personal opinion. thanks

infinity B)

The gain-twist rifling on the AET barrels has zero effect on recoil. It does reduce the torque of the bullet in the barrel. As the bullet is driven throught the rifling and rotational spin is imparted on the bullet, there is an equal and opposite reaction of the gun wanting to spin around the bullet. This is generally understood as torque. While I'm sure there is a reduction in the effects of torque with a gain twist as opposed to a conventional twist barrel in a laboratory setting, I'm not so sure it's a practical difference.

I would heed Benny's advice and practice.

Where's our resident rocket scientist? ( Used in the most respectful manner)

Detlef, care to chime in?

Erik

I believe there is a benefit to a bull barrel as the extra weight seems to help muzzle flip somewhat. After seeing friends with the AET barrel, though, I think it may be a solution in search of a problem. I have a Scheumann standard bull barrel in my P-16 and could not ask for better accuracy nor does the so called torque seem to be a problem as the barrel tracks straight up and down (running an 11lb recoil spring and an aluminum shock buff). Practice with the money you save and it will be worth a lot more to scores.

By the way the one thing that did seem to make the gun track off to an angle was when I was shooting it with a Sprinco which is now gone.

Couple of items, probably just rehash mostly, but my $.02....

It was an eye opener for me reading an article in HANDGUNNER a few years back where they clamped a bunch of different barrels in a fixture and fired groups at 50y. "Match" barrels from Barsto, Wilson, Nowlin, Schueman, Some factory Colt barrels pulled out of rattle trap 80 series gun, and you know what? They ALL shot about the same.

The difference is in how well your GS fits it and if it will shoot your favorite bullet well. I LOVED the way the West Coast plates 180 RNFPs fed, but they key holed out of my Schuemann. Now I have moved on to different barrel and bullets.

The EDM barrels (Nowlin & Brown as I recall) did not seem to shoot as tightly as the cut rifled barrels. They are also more finicky.

"Match" just means oversized for GS fit. That being said, find something truly oversized your GS likes. I have heard that Brown barrels are almost drop in, and you're just not going to get as tight a fit, plus I think they are EDM.

As far as truly oversized, cut rifling goes Barsto you mentioned, they are the big name, but STI and KKM barrels are just as good, and cheaper.

For my money, and because I am down here shooting damn near anything roughly .40 sized I can cram in a case, I need an accurate, NON finicky barrel. The AET is a sexy idea, but I haven't seen anything that truly shows an advantage, and I know of several folks who see them as the ULTIMATE in finicky. Clamp one in a fixture and prove to me it shoots groups half the size of a $150 KKM or STI and I will think about paying twice as much.

At our course with "the Burner" in June, he had AET's in his Limited guns and raved about the accuracy, so maybe everything I told you is crap..... :unsure:

AET finicky? Not So! Properly ream the chamber, break the sharp edge at the mouth, and it will feed anything. Forget tuning mag lips. If there is a round at the top of the mag, it will chamber.

OK, so this is based on one unit. A .40 Para. I switched from a Schuemann bull to the AET. It used to run great if you kept the mags tuned. Now it's perfect. I've stopped tweaking mags. Accuracy did not much change on IPSC targets, but the supreme reliability is worth the extra $60.

Don't all AET barrels come with fluted chambers? If so, will reaming it remove the fluting? unsure.gif

You won't be taking enough out by reaming to affect the flutes.

They come chambered to a minimum dimension. Took a little off of the hood to fit it, and ended up with the chamber short by about the same amount. While waiting for the reamer to come in, it ran fine if you sorted brass by length, and only used the shortest.

They also have a very short, tight, throat at the rifling. If you want to use lead, or load long, you will need to open up the throat. I got my reamer from Dave Manson. He modified a standard .40 chamber reamer to cut a longer throat.

any barrel fitted properly and given to cap[able shooters will win the match.

i think mc_o's feat of landing in the top 5 in standard at a level 2 match two months ago using an ARMSCOR barrel proves this. and to think he declared at the chrono stage that he was using minor loads (to the RO's disbelief) ;)

any barrel fitted properly and given to cap[able shooters will win the match.

i think mc_o's feat of landing in the top 5 in standard at a level 2 match two months ago using an ARMSCOR barrel proves this. and to think he declared at the chrono stage that he was using minor loads (to the RO's disbelief) ;)

things like that happen. i suspect that he was bumped to major.

A few months back i shot a level2 or 3 match and i was too tired and forgot to chrono. I should have been declared zero.

being known, the people who scored it told me that they declared me minor and i ended up top 16. and i got a trophy ;)

lesson is be known and be kind, the human factor still works

• 4 weeks later...

I like my aet barrel. Shot my reloads and factory Federal 165gr fmj's about the same. One hole at 15 yards.

Never had any feed malfunctions with the factory (shorter stuff) or the longer longer loaded reloads.

Besides, I love the bronze color....