Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacIrons rear sight, what are y'all using?

GreenDragon64

My CTR-02 is a one of a kind rifle from J.P. to my knowledge he has never made another dedicated Iron Sight Rifle. The front sight is a J.P. clamp on with a .035" front post. They did turn down the barrel so their sight would fit, but it is done so well it looks like it grows out of the barrel, and the comp looks like part of the front sight tower.

That sounds sexy!

My new build for next year has a full length top rail I have the option to mount a front sight on or a barrel clamp style but the barrel is only 18" (Nordic of course)

What front (rail mount) sight do you recommend?

Thanks,

MC

No I'm not a "rapid gun abandoner". You will never win a match on dumping a gun real fast, but i have seen plenty get D.Q.ed for doing it too fast and having them bounce out or slide off.

I use an A2 upper for my practice rifle and for shooting over seas. I would sure hate to loose a J.P. rifle in Hungary, but a cheapo A2 rifle I can replace. I also use one because of sight radius and if you are going to just shoot irons, why not use an upper that already has them built right in?

I've seen some foaming at the mouth mister....Rabid! Oh...you said rapid :roflol:

That sounds sexy!

My new build for next year has a full length top rail I have the option to mount a front sight on or a barrel clamp style but the barrel is only 18" (Nordic of course)

Thanks,

MC

No self respecting iron sighter would ever recommend a rail mounted front sight. In my mind there are only 3 front sights for serious competition use. The JP clamp on tower, the Armalite clamp on tower or the PRI flip up and clamp on front sight. On an 18" barrel, you can fit a clamp on A2 FSB in front of a 15" handguard. It will be right up against the comp and looks like money. Still get a decent sight radius too (although a 20" barrel is advised for serious work. I also use a .035" blade, but I use the KNS blade, which steps down from .070" to .035". This makes the sight visible for fast work while at the same time fine enough for distance work.

Why not but the sight on the rail? too much movement? im just wondering because I am building a rifle now that has a site on the rail and wondering if I should change before finalizing it.

You want it attached to the barrel for a fixed reference. Mounted on the handguard, it can be influenced by pressure from a barricade, sling, etc.

Why not but the sight on the rail? too much movement? im just wondering because I am building a rifle now that has a site on the rail and wondering if I should change before finalizing it.

You want it attached to the barrel for a fixed reference. Mounted on the handguard, it can be influenced by pressure from a barricade, sling, etc.

makes sense. thank you

I have a PRI same plane gas block clamped right behind the comp on my 18" Nordic barrel with a Troy HK style fixed front sight clamped to it. It has a .040 sight post I bought from WOA. The OD of the Nordic barrel is big enough that you don't have to shim it.

Rear sight is the DPMS shorty A2. Gives me kind of a circle in a circle sight picture. I use the same set up on my heavy irons rifle.

That sounds sexy!

Thanks,

MC

No self respecting iron sighter would ever recommend a rail mounted front sight. In my mind there are only 3 front sights for serious competition use. The JP clamp on tower, the Armalite clamp on tower or the PRI flip up and clamp on front sight. On an 18" barrel, you can fit a clamp on A2 FSB in front of a 15" handguard. It will be right up against the comp and looks like money. Still get a decent sight radius too (although a 20" barrel is advised for serious work. I also use a .035" blade, but I use the KNS blade, which steps down from .070" to .035". This makes the sight visible for fast work while at the same time fine enough for distance work.

Well I shot NRA HP a year before 3 gun so I have a clamp on A2 FSB w/bayo lug I could use. Where do you get a KNS blade?

Thanks,

MC

Brownells used to carry the KNS variety pack, it had several different size and style sight posts. If you know which one you want, you can go to KNS precision and buy them individually. Most styles are around $8.00 each.

Hurley

• 2 months later...

I run an A2 upper so the sight choice is limited..... :)

On my CTR-02 I running the DPMS sight, I cut an extra slot in the upper to move the sight all the way to the rear and cut the sight base so it clears the charging handle.

Cheryl is gonna be pissed when I start cuting on her gun...........

I run an A2 upper so the sight choice is limited..... :)

On my CTR-02 I running the DPMS sight, I cut an extra slot in the upper to move the sight all the way to the rear and cut the sight base so it clears the charging handle.

Cheryl is gonna be pissed when I start cuting on her gun...........

It's not your gun!

I run an A2 upper so the sight choice is limited.....:)

Kurt, may I ask why you cut that slot in the upper?