Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salient Arms Tier 1 M&P

Cundiff5535

You guys are making me jealous, I want to do an open m&p build but living in canada doesn't give me too many options. I agree with the others though the price is pretty steep for a polymer framed handgun.

Well the trigger is expensive. But that said, while they say its a drop in install they ask me to send them my gun. They had it a week, and they installed my trigger and set it to run at 2.5# pull. The only pre travel if you call it that is when pulling the trigger you press back on the safety release lever, the its breaks just like my 1911. So they did a great job, they paid the freight back as well.

I am happy and plan on doing another.

Did they charge you for install?

• 2 weeks later...

All of salients pricing is high, shop around there are a few smiths doing cool work. Its worth it if its cool to you, but you will never get your money back out if you try to sell. So plan on keeping it forev's. I had glockworx do two glock frames for me. My friends make fun of me but I like them.

I'd really like to try the new salient m&p trigger. My OEM sucked and the apex is better but not what I'm looking for.

• 1 month later...

I finished this econo M&P Limited/Major tupper-gun. Did the whole thing in about 30 days, under $1500 total. Shot my first USPSA match yesterday. Moved up 15% from average, probably since my crappy shots score more now

Found the 40L Pro on GB.com for $575. The rest consists of...

1. Polishing of trigger components and hook adjustment.
2. Slide porting, nose job and Cerakoting by DPCustomWorks.com
3. Adjustable FO sights by Williams Gun Sight Co
4. Red grip insert by DamatoCustomStippling.com
5. APEX FSS Trigger (Poly), USB and comp springs. (RAM too).
6. KKM Drop in Match Barrel.
7. Speed Shooters Brass Magwell and Brass pin.
8. Extended Mag Release (Costa Catalyst) by 21st Century.
9. Tungsten Recoil Rod with 15 and 17lb springs (to see if either is better).
10. 5 Taran Tactical magazine extenders 140mm - 20 rnd
11. 4 additional magazines to make 6 total.
A-Hatchling_8.jpg
A-Hatchling_7.jpg
A-Hatchling_9.jpg

so does the nose cut serve any purpose other than looking cool?

In the end, just for looks. If you have seen an original 9L (not CORE or PRO) versions, the profile is like this too. Orignally, along with the ports, it all was done to lighten the slide, although lightening may not be all that effective.

• 7 months later...

I had all my work done at Mod1firearms.com by Pike Spraggins for a fraction of what Salient charges. Was about $590 total and it was done in about 4 weeks! He also put in the apex trigger for me breaks clean at 3.5 it's basically a costa gun for a fraction of the price (no top serrations) and yes the slide cuts make a huge difference in how fast the gun comes back for me on target. I didn't need Costa's name on my gun, do I respect what he does yes, but I don't need to have it laser engraved on my gun.

post-56195-0-91693900-1412397842_thumb.j

post-56195-0-73913700-1412397854_thumb.j

Ive been looking at Mod 1 since I saw them at the pro-am. Especially since I have a 2nd gen barreled pro thats been sitting in my safe for years with only 20 rounds through it.

590 makes me even more curious. Was that just for the work? Or did it include the barrel/trigger? Because if so Im going to have to get one (even though ive got a fistfull of 2011 parts waiting as well).

I can't say enough about Mod1 in Lexington. Pike built a 5" M&P Pro that I have that is every bit a Salient. I'm not clever enough to post pics, so here're some links:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/dd/7b/83/dd7b8373723869be4a57e308148b23dd.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/81/b6/c681b6c366bebfc427c75fde59150aae.jpg

Pretty pictures are one thing...how does it perform???

Edited by KY1911

• 1 month later...

Here's another M&P customized by Mod1 Firearms that I just got back from Pike this week - in 45ACP for IDPA CDP.

15363088004_5c65f29822_s.jpg

15799338399_a15fd7c1de_s.jpg

Novaks front and rear, Apex FSS full kit, undercuts, stippling all around (disregard the safety frame holes; plugs are coming).

Edited by KY1911

I had all my work done at Mod1firearms.com by Pike Spraggins for a fraction of what Salient charges. Was about $590 total and it was done in about 4 weeks! He also put in the apex trigger for me breaks clean at 3.5 it's basically a costa gun for a fraction of the price (no top serrations) and yes the slide cuts make a huge difference in how fast the gun comes back for me on target. I didn't need Costa's name on my gun, do I respect what he does yes, but I don't need to have it laser engraved on my gun.

Did they use the stock recoil spring or a lighter one?

$600 for the gun plus 2k to do the work? If you look around you can find some nice used custom 2011s for that price. If the price was half that, then maybe

You can buy a brand new 2011 for that and still have money for a magwell, sights, and 4-5 mags for $2600.

Edited by twodownzero