Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jerry Miculek IDPA BUG?

I read a few gun writers websites after the S&W IDPA BUG Nats, (who were attending) they mentioned there were quite a few rumblings about re-writing the BUG definition. The rules are vague, which does allow K/L, I guess N frame also with 3" barrels. It also allows 3.8 XDm full length grips and short barrel 2011's.

8.2.6. Back Up gun (BUG)
8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:
8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.
8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.
8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber
8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.
8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs
- 38 -8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
8.2.6.3.1.3. Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are legal if they comply with all other division rules and the laser is not activated.
8.2.6.3.2. Revolvers:
8.2.6.3.2.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.2.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.2.3. Grip tape, skateboard tape, etc. may be used.
8.2.6.3.2.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.2.5. Bob hammer spur.
8.2.6.3.2.6. Chamfer cylinder.
8.2.6.3.2.7. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.3.3. Semi-Automatics:
8.2.6.3.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.3.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.3. Slip-on grip sock and/or grip tape, skateboard tape, etc.
8.2.6.3.3.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.3.5. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.
8.2.6.3.3.6. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.7. Cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted.
8.2.6.3.3.8. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.4. BUG Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
Refer to Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions

I don't shoot IDPA but the rules don't seem vague. A 3'' barrel L frame fits the requirements.

Edited by toothguy

Looks like I will need to get a Ruger Alaskan for the next bug match.

Funny, like I said the rules are pretty vague. It needs to be a revolver with a barrel less than 3" or a pistol with a barrel less than 3.8", and it has to be centerfire.

I think some of the rules gurus were a little shocked at all the gaming BUG guns. I don't know why, because if it's legal, game away. If had gone I would have taken a 3.8XDm with a full size grip or a S&W 325 down loaded with 185 semi-wad cutters.

Oh, so arguably not really a BUG...

Thanks!

by whos standard?

Yeah sorry, I guess I mean by my standards. Unless I was going into Falluja I probably wouldn't have a K frame strapped to my back on ankle. I do like the premise of the BUG category though. I don't carry my GP100 around with me all the time, my LCR is my carry gun, and its nice to get to practice IDPA with my "true" carry weapon.

• 3 weeks later...

BUG rules make IDPA into an equipment race. In no way is an LCP or a J frame (Real BUGs) competive with a k/L frame revolver or a 3.8 auto. I have several autos that fall under the 3.8" limit. Among them are a Glock 36 and a 3" 1911. Both of which shoot about as well as some fullsize pistols. Neither of which have I ever carried as a backup. I'll continue to shoot my P3ATs/PF9/J frames, guns that might actually be used as BUGs.

Not to take anything away from Miculek. he likely would have won with a J frame.

:bow:

• 2 weeks later...

The IDPA brass seems to be shocked when competitors choose legal gear that gives them the best chance to win - versus gear that's probably more common for real life BUG or conceal carry. If they want to solve that, they need to go with something like USPSA's approved production list. Otherwise, competitors are always going to push the envelope.

• 3 weeks later...