Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt Choices....

shel6977

As a shooter new to competitions, I'm in need of some gear but have time on my side since there aren't any here in Iowa this time of the year. My biggest concern for gear right now is what belt to use. I tried to search since this has obviously been brought up before but it's hard to search belts because there are hundreds of topics that have "belt" in the posts.

I plan on shooting a little of everything next spring IDPS, USPSA, 3gun, etc. Being as I'm not 100% which I will enjoy most, I need belt suggestions that will cover all of them. The way I read IDPA is your belt must go through the loops, so that rules out a 2 belt system unless you get rid of the inner belt where as USPSA and 3 gun are a little more open concerning belts.

I'm looking at one of the Wilderness Instructors belts because the only downside I can see is the speed of moving/switching holsters but they are stiff enough to load about anything you could want on them. This doesn't bother me too much because if you put a techlok on the holsters they are easily moved unless I'm missing something about them.

I'm looking into the belt first and then will be on to magazine holsters and so on next but need to get the belt so I can get used to practicing draws and shooting with it before I throw in the challenges of reloads. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as belts go?

Sounds like you are looking for a one belt for all disciplines.

I tried this and honestly it did not work for me.

For IDPA I use one of my carry belts- Wilderness or Ares

USPSA/3Gun- CR Speed which is wearing out after less than 1yr.

Next belt will be a DAA.

For IDPA you can even use the inner belt.

Wilderness Tactical for IDPA and carry, DAA for everything else. The best thing about the double-belt system is that you leave all your gear permanently attached to the outer belt. Gearing up for dry fire takes seconds.

Edited by Andreas

I don't think you will be happy trying to get one belt to do it all. If you are on a budget just get a good stiff belt like the wilderness you mentioned. But it does suck threading holsters and pouches on and off the belt. I did just that twice I think. I bought a CRSpeed and never looked back.

The DAA belts have a few drawbacks in my opinion. They are way too stiff I think. If you tighten a CRSpeed up enough it is solid as a rock. And they are oversized enough that putting gear on them is a PITA. I know they are going for rock solid but damn! Even DAA gear is hard to get on them.

The DAA belts have a few drawbacks in my opinion. They are way too stiff I think.

Every other belt has a few drawbacks in my opinion. They are way too flimsy. And they are so undersized that your stuff moves around on them over time instead of staying put. I tried another brand belt for a while, then tried a DAA, and I am going to stick with DAA in the future because they are stiff enough, and my gear stays put without any shenanigans.

for idpa I just use carry holster and cheap magpouch. It's not like it's serious competition or anything.

Well I've been doing some looking at CR Speed and Double Alphas and it looks like a Chevy vs. Ford deal. I've also looked at the Blade tech belt which looks exactly like the CR belts. I'm guessing they are made by CR? I think I will just end up with one of the mentioned belts and go from there. I'm leaning toward the CR unless someone has a better alternative for someone just starting out.

I've ended up with all three you mention - Double Alpha, CR Speed, and Blade Tech, for me I'd probably put in this order:

- Double Alpha outer belt is notably thicker and stiffer if you are not changing out equipment often. I do run an extra velcro belt keeper by holster just to lock it into the inner belt and pant loop by holster

- CR Speed is a little thinner and maybe better if you need to swap things out, not as much of a pain to slide things on and off.

Both of these have nice inner belts that have a finished edge like the outer belt.

- Bladetech - similar in look to CR Speed, but enough differences in finish that its not a CR Speed relabeled if in fact they are made in the same spot. The blade tech fabric seem a notch lower in quality that CR Speed (but hard to tell), and and 'extra' sewing stitch line through middle of the belt that the CR Speed doesn't have. Also the inner belt does not have a finished edge like the other two, its more like velcro sandwiched to the fabric belt.

I'm leaning more Double Alpha than CR speed for USPSA. But if you are going to use this belt for 3gun, maybe CR Speed will be easier to change setup.

But starting from scratch, I'd also think about the Safariland 032 ELS Belt and ELS system, especially if 3GUN in your future.

You should contact CRSpeed and talk to them about that. These belts last for years and years typically.

Sarge,

Thanks. I will. I had the same problem with a DSG Competition Belt. What happens is the Velco on the outer belt starts separating form the outer belt.

DSG replaced it.

All the belts I have seen only have stitching on the outer belt velco around the outside edge.

I have looked at the ELS system and am not opposed to it but what kind of price am I looking at with those forks? They are considerably more expensive than teclocks, are they that much more secure and strong or is it just the ease you are paying for?

The sticker shock isn't terrible since I'm buying over time instead of all at once. Will the ELS work with all the holsters and magazine holsters without modifications?

Well I've been doing some looking at CR Speed and Double Alphas and it looks like a Chevy vs. Ford deal. I've also looked at the Blade tech belt which looks exactly like the CR belts. I'm guessing they are made by CR? I think I will just end up with one of the mentioned belts and go from there. I'm leaning toward the CR unless someone has a better alternative for someone just starting out.

Some are thicker and stiffer than others. From what I can tell the double alpha is stiffer on the outer but other offerings are stiffer on the inner. I imagine they're about all the same if you've never had one. BladeTech even has a new one that looks way cool due to the logo but like you said, that logo is about the biggest difference. I mean, it's plastic backed with velcro. Not rocket science.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I like CR speed. It's durable and stiff. Been using it for 4 years now with some minor worn out velcro stitches on the belt tip. Easy to place your mag pouch and holster anywhere you want. Just make sure you add 2 inch to your actual waist size.

CRSpeed is the one that I have been using now for a year and have no problems. I shoot steel 2 times per week and dryfire pratice.

If you get the CR make sure you go a size up from your waist size.

Does anyone have any input on the safariland els belt system? I like the look of them but don't really know if the higher price is justifiable considering how much extra the attachments cost. I've heard the term "buy once, cry once" but does anyone have any experience with it?

Does anyone have any input on the safariland els belt system? I like the look of them but don't really know if the higher price is justifiable considering how much extra the attachments cost. I've heard the term "buy once, cry once" but does anyone have any experience with it?

Somebody that's very good that I know bought the ELS stuff, only to realize that it's completely not necessary. They sell it as having the ability to change stuff around quickly but doing so all the time apparently isn't reality. Keeping the belt attachment in place but switching what attaches to it isn't going to happen much.

However I do like the BladeTech TekLok's. Playing dress up with your belt non-stop probably isn't necessary but the clamps do keep stress off the velcro seams when you do put things on the belt. More than anything though, the TekLok's are tighter on the belt. If you have a BladeTech TekLok attachment next to something with a BladeTek belt loop, the TekLok will stay put on your belt more, things like mag pouches won't twist nearly as much. I sent my belt loop stuff back to be replaced by TekLok's, especially since it costs the same. It works like a clamp instead of passively just sitting on your belt.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You should contact CRSpeed and talk to them about that. These belts last for years and years typically.

My first outer belt started coming apart, on the end, at 10 months of age. They sent me a replacement, from South Africa, along with a label to return the defective belt.

Well after looking at more belts than I can count, I made my mind up on a CR Speed belt. That's when I came across a DSG completion belt. I searched the forum but didn't have much luck finding a whole lot on them. They are a 2 piece 1.5" belt with plastic inside to stiffen it up. They are a little pricey but I believe they are US made which I'm very interested buying unless I have no other choice. They also have a locking buckle which would get rid of a belt keeper. I'm leaning toward this belt since I could just put the buckle in back to free up the front for gear. Does anyone have any knowledge on these belts or know anyone that has used one?

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/KTDSGBC-15-BLK.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Well I take it no one has any experience with these belts. My DGM competition belt just showed up yesterday. I haven't tried it out yet but if anyone is curious on them, I will reply back as to how it is when I get to try it out and see how it goes.

looking at buying a belt and would be interested in what your thoughts are on that belt. I have been leaning towards the DAA belts.

Well since I'm new to these types of shooting belts, I don't really have anything to compare it to except a trusty leather belt. I have only shot with it once and I like it so far. I think it is a good quality belt but don't have lot of time using it to see how it holds up. Hopefully I can get some more time using it soon. The sizing was kind of tricky for me because I fall in between medium and large and went with a medium so I wouldn't have so much overlap on my gun side.

All in all, I'm happy with this US made belt. I was also looking at the wilderness instructors belts which the DSG belt is essentially that same thing with a inner belt and a different buckle. My only complaint right now is the sizing. I'm a 34" jeans so with the medium, I have about 3" of Velcro overlap and with a large I would have about 8" overlap and it would be right where a right handed shooters holster would be.

I recently went with a CR Speed, 2 piece belt and their mag pouches. Overall I'm very happy with it. The pouches aren't super locked into place and can slide a little when you're not wearing the belt. So basically you need to keep an eye on this so your pouches don't end up in a different than expected location. Mentioned this to a local GM and he showed me how he used little set screws on the bottom of his pouches to secure them to the bottom edge of his belt. Make sense? I haven't done this to mine yet, still playing with where I want them.

You really have to watch what those "local GM's" tell you. :goof: The screws in the bottom work great! Just go to ACE and get a handful, drill a hole a little smaller and let them thread themselves in. They never came loose for me.