Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the trick to chamfering the Black 38super 8 shot cylinder

mrmetalweld57

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if someone were to make a 45 degree chamfer tool that uses the pilots and handle from the Brownells tool only out of carbide if it could be chamfered by hand. I was thinking maybe just a 4 flute. I know it probably doesn't matter but I have never seen a hand chamfered cylinder that didn't look like it.

Lee

I am not what doctors refer to as "coordinated". Dremels and I don't really get along and I feel like I need something a little more like this:7AEB7082-76C5-4EC6-9AE3-DE8292D35F95_zps

damn that's ugly

Perhaps it is but I have seen it in action and it is accurate.

Lee

I sho glad that that ain't mine

Function over form. I don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe, fast and doesn't affect accuracy.

No doubt, I understand function over form... but I think that's quite excessive.

No expert, but doesn't the 38 spl cartridge sit on the rim ? that looks like the round will sit down much lower into the valley they carved out effecting ignition ??

Function over form. I don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe, fast and doesn't affect accuracy.

No doubt, I understand function over form... but I think that's quite excessive.

No expert, but doesn't the 38 spl cartridge sit on the rim ? that looks like the round will sit down much lower into the valley they carved out effecting ignition ??

Should have mentioned this is a Super and only starline/hearthco from here on out. I like the funneling effect but doubt that could ever be done without a CNC or dremel. It leaves enough meat for the clip to headspace on both the center and the arms and is 100% ignition reliable. Oddly enough, still a really accurate gun.

Should have mentioned this is a Super and only starline/hearthco from here on out. I like the funneling effect but doubt that could ever be done without a CNC or dremel. It leaves enough meat for the clip to headspace on both the center and the arms and is 100% ignition reliable. Oddly enough, still a really accurate gun.

oh ok, so it's now a " moonclipped only " cylinder.

I dont mind seeing a nice big chamfer, but I still think that's excessively unnecessary, and with practice you can load a * normal * chamfer just as fast as your skill level should provide.

Here are some other chamfers I have done

9344434991_f3202240d6_h.jpg

( hadnt cleaned up the extractor star in this picture as of then )

9244184446_012f816758_h.jpg

and here is my bosshossed cylinder, which is the most extreme I have. loads slick, but so does my other less extreme ones.

8543908506_b29b7006db_h.jpg

to each his own.

Edited by alecmc

I need to find someone who is willing to do a semi aggressive job chamfering my Super. I don't want to ruin my HSS cutter and don't know that I want to waste the energy trying to make a carbide cutter that may or may not work.

Edited by RevolverJockey

maybe try 38 / 357 45 degree chamfer kit

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-chamfering-tool-kits/45-muzzle-cylinder-chamfering-cutter-brass-pilot-prod18298.aspx

38 super isnt listed, but maybe you can figure out the closest size to use.

I use one of those for 625 cylinders, and a dremel for my 38s

Alec,

That's the tool I have. Even made myself a pilot for .38 super, but I talked to several folks that do cylinder work, TK, Apex etc and they all pretty much said the same thing - don't use a multi flute high speed steel chamfer tool on that black coating unless you want to ruin the cutter. I believe the phrases "harder than the hinges of hades" and "tough as woodpecker lips" were used.

Lee

I am not what doctors refer to as "coordinated". Dremels and I don't really get along and I feel like I need something a little more like this:7AEB7082-76C5-4EC6-9AE3-DE8292D35F95_zps

damn that's ugly

Lee

It does have a certain Artistic Charm, and I bet it would load well.

damn that's ugly

Lee

It does have a certain Artistic Charm, and I bet it would load well.

Like it's a so ugly it's kinda cute vibe ?