Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to get 13 year old son in USPSA

aandabooks

Good luck getting your boy interested with USPSA, I tried and tried but my 13 year old just never took to it..wish you well...

To that end, I set up a G34,, 9lb recoil spring, sevigny sights, gen4 to gen3 recoil rod conversion,skelotnized striker, adj over travel housing and slightly reduced grip with silicone carbide texture and a zev heavy magwell.. Dawson base pads.

In fact ill sell it to ya for a great deal to hopefully get you started...

PM me if you're interested. Been planning to list in classifieds, but would rather help a dad out!

post-38037-0-64160800-1386365428_thumb.j

Thanks for the offer but I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 17 on a Black Friday sale at MC Sports for $499. I picked him up a Safariland holster and modded it up to disable the ALS system. It is the same holster that I have for my SA. Need to run down some mag pouches and a belt. He is only a 26" waist. Also need a good day to do some load testing.

I figure by Feb/March he should be ready to go. Need to work on gun handling skills. He 's never drawn from a holster or done a reload from a belt. He has a couple years of pistol shooting experience but it has always been the informal range type.

We did do a bowling pin match last week and he can't wait to try again next month.

Have him try the different pistols if possible. I started shooting an XD9 and also have a G23. That said, I shoot an STI Spartan 5" 9mm 1911 and carry a 3" custom SA EMP 1911. I MUCH prefer the 1911 platform, and he might as well. I sold the XD and have never looked back.

If he likes the 1911 platform but doesn't like the recoil of the .45, get him a 9mm Spartan. They can be had for $600-650, get the Dawson Precision mags and you'll be good to go!

That said, if he enjoys shooting the XDM over the 1911 platform, I would certainly go with an XD over a Glock, but that's personal preference for me. If you have the same guns, gear, etc. it would make things easier, but not a necessity.

Besides, you can always sell that G17 if he finds something else he likes more...

Edited by polizei1

He doesn't shoot the 1911 platform worth a crap. Of all the 1911s I have owned and can guarantee that pistol is accurate he makes it look like a shotgun pattern at 10 yards. I've owned 1911s in .22, 9mm and .45 and the results are the same.

I think he will be ok with the Glock. If not, I feel like I got a good price on it and won't get hurt too bad if I sell it. I've got a bunch of loads made up for it to try out. Maybe as early as tomorrow evening.

I had a very similar situation with my son when he was 13, he is about to be 17 now. He doesn't shoot much anymore, mainly because he finds shooting Glocks, M&Ps, and XDms boring. He finds it boring shooting 10 rounds through a simple gun not much "fun". Currently I'm looking into tricking out one of my Glocks or M&Ps and start shooting Limited and/or 3gun. Or taking the hit and having a custom 2011 build or CZ custom build.

Just don't want you to fall into the same trap.

Little background: I am only 2 matches into shooting USPSA but I love it. My son has been shooting/hunting for about 3 years. Shooting pistols for about 2 years and is a pretty good and handles firearms well. The club I shoot at is primarily older shooters with a few young 20s. My son was a little standoffish about shooting with so many older guys. Last match we had an 11 and 14 year old show up. Said they normally shoot monthly. My son is now much more interested.

So with that said he is going to need a gun to use. I just bought myself a XDM9 5.25". He hasn't shot it yet. With my research in buying the SA, I really see 3-5 options for a gun for him to use in production. Here they are with some pro/cons:

1.) Glock 17-under $600, no adjustable sights, lead might be an issue, mags readily available

2.) Glock 34-under $700, adjustable sights, """"

3.) S&W M&P Pro 5"-Can't locate one, adjustable sights, lead not a problem, mags hard to find

4.) S&W M&P 4.25"-Low $500s, no adjustable sights,"". ""

5.) SA XDM 4.5"-Mid $600s, good range gear, mags easy to get, lead not a problem

6.) SA XDM 5.25"-$700s, I already have one so I obviously like it so far

Having him shoot my SA may rule 5/6 in or out depending on how he likes it. I'm leaning toward the Glock 17 but I reload alot of lead. If I can't run my reloads that is a huge problem. What way would you all go if you are starting up a 13 year old to shoot USPSA?

You may want to look at shooting a steel match to get your son use to the timer, pressure and develop gun handling skill without the movement. I think you should take your son with you and get what fits his hand and he is comfprtable with. I started with an HK p30 due to a thumb injury and have moved on to a CZ shadow since my hand has gotten stronger. Plus letting him help pick out the gun will develop ownership of the gun. Good Luck.

We don't have a sanctioned steel challenge near us. Our club does a monthly .22 steel match. The bowling pin match we did last week was indoors and we shot the self healing bowling pins on a rack. Went from low ready at the buzzer and recorded 3 times for a cumulative score. When they do it outside it is with actual bowling pins that you knock off a table.

I'll be looking to do as many of these matches as I can over the next several months before he participates in his first actual USPSA match. Thanks everyone for all of the advice. My son loves to shoot but I definately don't want to bore or burn him out early.

Hi,

It's more expensive but I think for a young shooter open is the way to go. It's more like X-BOX! The advantages are, there is very little reloading and not a lot of thinking, very little recoil, easy to shoot because of the dot and no thinking. Just a thought.

ALSO, if its not FUN he will not want to do it again.

And just from personnel experience, I would try to refrain from giving unsolicited advice. Always be positive.

Oh, if he has a friend thats better---but costs you more. LOL, good luck!

I picked him up a Safariland holster and modded it up to disable the ALS system.

I would not have done that. I get you want him fast and "just like Dad". But a fellow used to the system can be pretty dang fast, and very safe. My thumb just naturally disengages the retention on my ALS holsters and I don't see it as slowing me down any. I am not blazing fast anyway. I would just tell him I was preparing him for 3 Gun where pistol retention over the course is more important.

Edited by chevyoneton

My now 14 year old started shooting USPSA as soon as he turned 12. He started on an XDm 4.5, we moved him to a 5.25, and now he shoots a 1911 hi-cap 9mm (all LTD division). He'll likely move to something in .40 next year so he can shoot major PF.

Definitely let your son shoot the XDm and see if he likes it. They are a fantastic "low cost" starter option that is very reliable and easy to maintain and they eat anything you put in them. If it doesn't fit his hand well, I strongly suggest an M&P. They are a bit smaller grip in my experience and contour better to smaller hands.

Hi,

It's more expensive but I think for a young shooter open is the way to go. It's more like X-BOX! The advantages are, there is very little reloading and not a lot of thinking, very little recoil, easy to shoot because of the dot and no thinking. Just a thought.

And just from personnel experience, I would try to refrain from giving unsolicited advice. Always be positive.

I am a junior and i can agree with this, i started off with a glock 17 open gun almost 2 years ago, now i am shooting a tanfoglio. I started off shooting minor 9mm which as everyone knows is a big disadvantage in open unless you shoot all alpha's, this forced me to have to concentrate on accuracy if i wanted to stay competitive. Doing this really helps get your fundamentals set before stepping into the big league.

Any questions just ask

Hi,

[/quote

I am a junior and i can agree with this, i started off with a glock 17 open gun almost 2 years ago, now i am shooting a tanfoglio. I started off shooting minor 9mm which as everyone knows is a big disadvantage in open unless you shoot all alpha's, this forced me to have to concentrate on accuracy if i wanted to stay competitive. Doing this really helps get your fundamentals set before stepping into the big league.

Any questions just ask

Hey I thought I was the only junior shooting a tangfolio. What model do you shoot?

Hi,

[/quote

Any questions just ask

Hey I thought I was the only junior shooting a tangfolio. What model do you shoot?

V8 eric

We're in Central Illinois.

I don't think keeping him interested will be a problem. He is all about shooting across many different disciplines. In addition to hunting squirrel, rabbit, coyote and deer we shoot trap, bullseye and practice pistol shooting all the time.

I have been reading like post for years, I also Quizzzzz if you thought to ask the boy what he really would like to shot ???

Most of todays teens are savvvy, and good researchers, and may know more than one may think.

Point 2 - Keeping him intrested, Maybeeee, when he/your teen gets interested in the GURLS/girls, we will see.

I have spent a lot of miney on my grandsons, they seem to be more fond of GURLS and damnnn old junk cars than POPs shooting BS.

Keep us posted.

Have FUN,

Perry - LOL