Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag pouches for production

RickyH

No experience with Ghost but tried the CR and didn' like the way they felt. It felt like the mags were going to come out while running. I just got the DAA Racer pouches and so far they are really nice. They clamp on to your belt and will not move. They adjust with a simple turn of a wheel, they can also be adjusted so the bullets face out. They stick out far enough from your body that getting a good grip is easy. They do take up a little room but that wasn't a desl breaker for me. They are a little pricey I think about 32.00 bucks each but you won't buy another pouch again, they are well made.

I have two DAA Compeition mag pouches which I will be replacing soon. I have found my left hand grabbing the thumb screws along with my magazines. One thing that really irritated me about them was putting them on my DAA belt, it was not an easy task. According to them, they make their belts thicker for a reason, so why wouldn't they add longer screws for their own mag pouches.

I would go the CR speed. come with inserts to suit a range of mags, can easily fit a magnet to them to carry your LAMR mag or for table starts etc (if your division allows it), they are mega adjustable.

as far as mags falling out? no way. they hold all mags very securely. I have one set that are now 5 years old and still going strong. get used weekly. the DAA plastic ones are very nice too. but I still like the CR speed.

On the ReadyTac vs CR/Ghost/DAA mag pouches

For those who have experience with both, are the CR / Ghost / etc mag pouches noticeably faster than the Ready Tactical-type holsters, or just more convenient?

Edited by ummm

On the ReadyTac vs CR/Ghost/DAA mag pouches

For those who have experience with both, are the CR / Ghost / etc mag pouches noticeably faster than the Ready Tactical-type holsters, or just more convenient?

I use ready tacticals in Production and DAA Race Masters in Open. I'm sure somebody will say they are faster with one over the other but not me. The RM's are extremely well engineered, well built pouches. In a division where you only need a few such as Open they are fine being as big as they are. You can tilt them, cant them, spin them, magnetize them, adjust them, etc....

For Production you have to get at least 4 pouches on your belt. Unless you have gangly arms that you can scratch the middle of your back with you need something that pretty much stands straight up and takes up as little space as possible. You don't need pouches that are adjustable every which way like RM's. I can't see paying a premium for pouches that you are probably going to mount one way and never move or change them. Ready Tactical pouches are perfect examples of the KISS principle when gearing up for Production.

If you have long arms you may find every little bit lower you get your pouches on the belt helps you a lot. The pouches in posts 2&3 above are a good bit lower than CR Speed or Safariland or Ghost as set by the factory. They look really good.

In the old days some guys would flip the belt attachment upside down and get the pouches a lot lower; just tried that w/my CR Speeds and that crashes your hand right into hard square corners, ouch.

Just got the Ghost pouches, set them up to go "outie" like Ben Stoeger does. Again the long arms create problems, inconsistent reloads. Tilted them back 2 clicks - about 40 degrees sweep back - better. Looked at belt attachments. If you flip the Ghost attachment and then shim the bottom under the belt (because now the adjuster is in the wrong place) you get pouches about 3/8" lower which I love. Using 1 click - about 20 degrees sweep back - and all the pouches as close as possible except pouch 1 & 2 left a little more space.

post-354-0-07035100-1385571533_thumb.jpg

post-354-0-37241400-1385571545_thumb.jpg

If you have long arms you may find every little bit lower you get your pouches on the belt helps you a lot. The pouches in posts 2&3 above are a good bit lower than CR Speed or Safariland or Ghost as set by the factory. They look really good.

In the old days some guys would flip the belt attachment upside down and get the pouches a lot lower; just tried that w/my CR Speeds and that crashes your hand right into hard square corners, ouch.

Just got the Ghost pouches, set them up to go "outie" like Ben Stoeger does. Again the long arms create problems, inconsistent reloads. Tilted them back 2 clicks - about 40 degrees sweep back - better. Looked at belt attachments. If you flip the Ghost attachment and then shim the bottom under the belt (because now the adjuster is in the wrong place) you get pouches about 3/8" lower which I love. Using 1 click - about 20 degrees sweep back - and all the pouches as close as possible except pouch 1 & 2 left a little more space.

attachicon.gifGhost 1.jpg

attachicon.gifGhost 2.jpg

Great stuff, eric, thanks. I frequently wish for a dropped mag holster...about 2 inches, maybe 3? ;) If all I can get is 3/8", I guess I'll have to settle for 3/8".

To everyone....does anyone know if there's a rule in production about dropped mag holsters? I read Appendix D4 to say my mags can't be further away from my inner belt than 2", but it doesn't say from which part of my mag the measurement is taken. If my basepads are 2" below my belt (and therefore the feed lips are down my leg somewhere), they would still seem to be legal, according to my reading.

Neither. Take a look at Ready Tactical pouches. Very simple, very slick, and take up less room on the belt than any other brand. And they are only $22 or so from Chris Patty at CPWSA

I see they sell one that is offset. It says they stick out about 3/4 inch further away from the body. I'm guessing those are still legal in Production?

Edited by TroyB