Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is "Long Stroke" option worth $200?

srv656s

Jack if you are against it then don't sell any of your guns with it I guess

And that's the reason only one smith in the country offers the "package" and even he only does it to less than 10% of the guns that leave his shop.

This is not correct. SVI does it on their IMM's as well, IIRC.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's the reason only one smith in the country offers the "package" and even he only does it to less than 10% of the guns that leave his shop.

They do it, or well do it if you ask? I have not read one thing on their website about their IMM being stroked. What does Infinity call it? I just did a couple searches, and didn't get any results.

Nope. Brandon doesn't do that to his pistols. .As I said much earlier in this thread, I short stroke my Limited guns with two shock buffers. An alumabuff in front of a Wilson Shock buff. It just makes sense to me and I like the way it makes the gun feel, but I'm not a gunsmith.

Edited by SV-COP

How do you know how many guns Akai makes that are stroked? Are you going off the "standard" build options and assuming he doesn't or won't customize them per customer request?

Correct. I have yet to be there and not see him do it. It is an option that can be added

Nope. Brandon doesn't do that to his pistols. .As I said much earlier in this thread, I short stroke my Limited guns with two shock buffers. An alumabuff in front of a Wilson Shock buff. It just makes sense to me and I like the way it makes the gun feel, but I'm not a gunsmith.
Thanks for clarifying, was pretty sure Brandon didn't offer it, but didn't have enough knowledge on svi's to say so. Edited by jrbet83

Well I like it. And you do not have same recoil impulse. Jack if you are against it then don't sell any of your guns with it I guess

Florida NFA trusts

I appologize if it seems like I was taking a jab at anyone, that was not my intention. Didn't have time to read preceeding posts to get a better feel for the thread.

It helps me remember why I don't like to post on the forums as intentions are sometimes misunderstood. See ya in three more years:)

Jack

Edited by Jack T

Different stroke for different folks I guess :goof:

I prefer short stroked guns myself, Chuck Hiett used to sell his Red Buff shock buffs in three different thicknesses so you could tune the length of the stroke. I ran one gun with two of the thick buffs, one with a single thick buff and after playing with my new Trubor I settled on a single medium thick buff (Chuck gave me a big care package of buffs back when he sponsored me)

Different stroke for different folks I guess :goof:

I prefer short stroked guns myself, Chuck Hiett used to sell his Red Buff shock buffs in three different thicknesses so you could tune the length of the stroke. I ran one gun with two of the thick buffs, one with a single thick buff and after playing with my new Trubor I settled on a single medium thick buff (Chuck gave me a big care package of buffs back when he sponsored me)

Good one Pat :cheers:

Ummmm, I know at least one of the team shooters open guns ARE stroked from Brandon. I talked to Bill about it less than a month ago. And a buddy of mine in NC got a new IMM last year that was stroked. So apparently it is available.

Ummmm, I know at least one of the team shooters open guns ARE stroked from Brandon. I talked to Bill about it less than a month ago. And a buddy of mine in NC got a new IMM last year that was stroked. So apparently it is available.

There is no doubt they can do it. But, from conversations with Brandon, he if a fan of short stroking Limited guns for sure. If a customer or Team shooter absolutely wanted it done, he would probably do it. But, I'll talk to him today report back here tonight.

Edited to add: I've spent many hours at the factory over the last 5 years and I have never heard Brandon or anyone else for that matter, mention "stroking or long stroking" any of the pistols. Like I said, I'm sure its something they can do, but I don't think it's very common or I would have heard/seen it.

Edited by SV-COP

Just a short add... Havent posted on Enos in years.

There are two ways to increase the stroke on a gun, frame rails or slide rails. The IMM models that I have seen are built on commander rail frames. In other words, the frame rails are 0.100 shorter than a regular Gov frame. Hence, they are stroked 0.100.

We chose to increase the stroke on the slide side, since we wanted to keep the frame rails as long as possible and can go much further on the stroke by using the slide instead.

There are two parts to recoil. First, bullet exiting the muzzle end, equal and opposite reaction on the gun. Can't do much about that. Second, the gun unlocks, a lot of the recoil is absorbed by the actual unlocking, compensator and so on. When the slide drives back, it hits the frame (actually the head of the guide rod, shock buff if you run one). When the slide hits the frame it creates the muzzle rise. It is not only the muzzle rise that matters, it is also jarring the gun. Watch slow motion videos of guns firing and you will notice that most of the muzzle flip is created by the slide hitting the frame. Youtube has plenty of those.

By increasing the stroke, you can use more of the recoil system and thereby allowing the slide to just kiss the frame instead of crash into it. The result is softer recoil, but more importantly, less jarring of the front sight.

Jules Magyari, Shane Coley and Lesgar Murdock shoot stroked systems. Blake Miguez is about as conservative as they get with guns, same as Max Michel. Blake shoots a very heavy front end gun because thats what he is used to. Shane and Lesgar took 3rd and 5th at the Nationals last year with stroked guns.

I would not stroke a 9mm minor gun. Have done it before, but I dont believe it is needed. We notice a huge difference in 40 and open guns.

As for splits, I have seen 0.07 on stroked guns. Lesgar does 0.10 regularly in a match. I think it is fast enough.

We made a decision to focus on developing guns that will get maximum points, not just speed. We measure a design by the number of snakeeyes that a shooter gets. I want the dot or front sight to settle in the same place, as much as possible, in order to allow the shooter to time the gun perfectly. With Lesgar's shooting, we noticed a huge increase in the number of snake eyes, even on far targets with fast splits.

(Ok, I lied about the short add part)

Edited by Shay1911

Edited to add: I've spent many hours at the factory over the last 5 years and I have never heard Brandon or anyone else for that matter, mention "stroking or long stroking" any of the pistols. Like I said, I'm sure its something they can do, but I don't think it's very common or I would have heard/seen it.

The SV IMM gun I had years ago used a frame with the rails cut back to what was commander sized, and a shortened slide, and had some machining which in effect made it " stroked". I think as the advent of 9Major stroking ( or whatever you want to call it) has become less desired.

FWIW, my gun was at least 15 years old as it was used when I bought it and owned it around 2004 or 2005 for a brief time? It was one of the older guns that the sweated on comps kept cracking on, and was built well before Brandon was running the shop.

thereby allowing the slide to just kiss the frame instead of crash into it.

Did you use to sell used cars?

What's the standard stroke? How much do you add? What do you add, less than 10%? Physics still apply. Crash to kiss by adding 10%..... not buying it.

Edited by jrbet83

You do not have to buy our guns. You are also not required to agree or understand what I post. As for personal attacks, I think you are on the wrong forum.

What's the standard stroke? How much do you add? What do you add, less than 10%? Physics still apply. Crash to kiss by adding 10%..... not buying it.

uncalled for ...

no need for personal attacks when you dont agree with someone.

You do not have to buy our guns. You are also not required to agree or understand what I post. As for personal attacks, I think you are on the wrong forum.

Not name calling, but to say by adding .100-.200 stroke is going to transform a gun that hammers the back of the frame, to one that kisses it, is just not true.

Not name calling, but to say by adding .100-.200 stroke is going to transform a gun that hammers the back of the frame, to one that kisses it, is just not true.

Relative terms. Its not that hard.