Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#4 or #4.5 Striker Spring With Extended Striker?

jcshelto

I have scored every thread and searched every forum, and have not found this specific question.

Reliability is the most important thing to me; it stresses me out to have a gun in the house that A) has light primer strikers or B) has failures to reset. With that in mind, I build and run all my guns with reliability in mind.

In my Glock 24, 34 and 35 I either run Jager or Zev lightened, extended strikers. Currently I am running the 4.5 striker spring. Is this overkill? Is the #4 more than enough with CCI and WIN primers? Will there be failures to reset?

Just wanted the consensus, because man, those triggers feel good with the #4 springs.

I am not trying to sound like a smart***, but you will get a multitude of answers all of the spectrum on this one. As cheap as the springs are (less then $3), buy a couple and give it a try.

Having said that, I use a 4lb spring, extended striker from Jager and WIN primers and it works flawlessly for me.

I just wanna add that the striker spring doesn't hand anything to do with a failure to reset. That's the connector and trigger bar or failure of the striker to catch the cruciform of the trigger bar. Changing striker springs has no effect on the engagement of striker sear and cruciform. I have ran Zevs lightest spring and my guns still set off Tula w/ the ext tip striker. I now use TTI springs and same reliability

I am not trying to sound like a smart***, but you will get a multitude of answers all of the spectrum on this one. As cheap as the springs are (less then $3), buy a couple and give it a try.

Having said that, I use a 4lb spring, extended striker from Jager and WIN primers and it works flawlessly for me.

No, you're totally right. I had surgery and can't shoot for 2 more months, so I am just stir crazy.

It looks like everyone runs the 4.0, and you're right, it is easy enough to switch or even TRB or there is an issue. Thanks!

The glock OME striker has always worked fine for me till I used a #4 spring from "ghost" but then same gun with a #4 from wolff spring co.-not "lone wolf" and no issues at all and I like ZEV's springs too.

I really prefer the springs with several coils closer at head and tail

. Now lone wolf stopped selling there #4 spring I think maybe because it came from the same source as "ghost" but that's just me guessing cause I do like Lone Wolf stuff these days

.so all springs are not made equal

also no one has brought up the topic of inertia here

. The lighter strikers have less force behind them so they must must be extended to be functional and reliable. So I also found a way to smith the OME strikers into extended strikers while keeping them safe. I heard the round life on a Jager is 1000-1500 rounds and he does not warranty anything- that came from other threads I have read and personal stories told to be by competitive shooters I know and sponsor. The ZEV striker is good but I don't care for the longer length of the lug face with that beveled tapper the Glock ome will break sooner in transfer because it's shorter. So if you run a ZEV you should be aware of that.

And as a martial artist of weaponry I would like to see some evidence of lock time and how it really factors. I mean the Glock 18 fires 1200rpm so I don't think anyone out there is gonna out run that gun which comes with the same striker as what's stock in your box Glock. Find the research and give a valid rational for spending 100$ and I'm in otherwise I'll I'm not the psychological edge kind of guy. to shed some light on the rational it's like drinking your pee in a survival situation- guys who drink their pee don't have a clue however a lot of survival instructors may have said it's acceptable but it really won't help AT ALL in fact it's worse to and science proves it.

So show me the evidence that shows the micro second it takes to release that spring less than 1/2 inch plays into user input and also show me research that's not done buy some party who will benefit with the results being in their favor because that's important as well.

I split the difference. I have been running the 4.5 spring with the oem striker for several thousand rounds without any issues using federal, winchester, and cci's. I went through 3 Jaegers, the first one didn't fit correctly, the second one broke after about a 1000 rnds and the third one I sent back because it made the trigger pull terrible. Jaeger refunded my money no questions, he really was a stand up guy. His product just did not work for me. I just change the 4.5 spring every so often.

This will vary slightly from pistol to pistol but my experience has been this:

The 4# Wolff spring has been flawless using a LW firing pin when changed every 10,000 rounds.

The 4.5# Wolff spring has been flawless with a OEM firing pin when changed every 10,000 rounds.

The 5# Wolff spring has been flawless with a OEM firing pin when changed every 10,000 rounds.

None of the 4# springs were reliable very long when used with a OEM firing pin.

One G34 with a 4# spring and OEM firing pin was good for about 1,200 to 1,500 rounds without a light strike and all others lasted much longer.