Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B jams with Speer brass?

Just got my 550 from Brian and started up. Loaded 300 rounds 9mm and I've had about 6 stuck cases in the sizing die. Didn't pay attention to the first couple, chalked it up to newbie. But tonight I noticed the jammed cases were both Speer. Jams fully in the die and rips past the rim of the case on the down stroke.

Thoughts? Thanks gang.

Lubrication? Bulged brass? Did you clean storage grease out of the new dies before you started using them? I'd guess the Speer connection is coincidental although could have been shot out of the same unsupported chamber contributing to bulge. I'd clean your dies out good, make sure the brass were slick with One-Shot and keep going.

No lube. Everything cleaned. Other brass runs smooth as can be. Just the Speer gets jammed all the way in. I'm saving cases now to double check. If I can find a Speer case in the bin I'm gonna pull it and mic it, see what the specs are compared to everything else. It's not the shell plate for sure, happened in all 4 positions.

My buddy has put 100k through his 550. I've had more stuck cases in two days than he's had in 8 years. Literally. I'm getting good at removing them......too good.

Edited by LearningIsOccurring

Something is wrong with the dies I would guess. I have found speer and FC to be really thin walled which means they usually size quite easily.

Also, you will find lubing your cases is the way to go. Needed? no. Causing your problems? Probably not. 5 times easier to load? absolutely!

Are the Speer cases new or have they been fired prior to trying to load them? You might have some cases that were previously fired in a significantly over-size chamber. Your plan to measure the dimensions on the Speer cases and perform a comparative analysis with them and cases from another manufacturer is a good starting point.

Something is wrong with the dies I would guess. I have found speer and FC to be really thin walled which means they usually size quite easily.

Also, you will find lubing your cases is the way to go. Needed? no. Causing your problems? Probably not. 5 times easier to load? absolutely!

What Sarge says. I de-prime and size on a single stage and I can tell a Speer.40 from the others by the lack of resistance. I have also seen nickled Speer .40 brass crack on the first re-sizing. I shot several boxes of Gold Dots and picked up the brass. Out of 150 once fired brass, three or four cracked on the first re-sizing.

I just started loading with my newly acquired 650 (from BE) a few weeks ago and I have loaded 4,600 9mm which included many Speer brass and had no issues with stuck cases (I didn't have one). It was mixed range brass and washed/tumbled with media (not SS). I do lightly lube and used Redding dies.

I believe I would be looking at the shell plate. Sounds like you have the wrong one or one that is out of spec or maybe it's not tightened down enough. What is the number on the one you have?

I thought so too. Shell plate and pins correct. Tightened. Marked the station it got stuck on - all 4. So it's not that. I can feel the shell getting stuck. It is a lot harder to move the handle as the shell is almost all the way in the die. Hoping to find some cases in the pile to measure, wonder if it's bulged and that's why it's jamming. Takes a lot of force to lift the handle and tear the edges of the shell base as the shell plate rips free. Then disassemble the die and a fat screwdriver and 4 pound hammer and it takes a few whacks to free the shell.

Can't do anything until I make it home. So frustrating! I wanna crank out a few thousand 9. At least solve this problem and then swap to 45acp. I'm gun shy of 9mm on this thing now. It sucks!

I believe I would be looking at the shell plate. Sounds like you have the wrong one or one that is out of spec or maybe it's not tightened down enough. What is the number on the one you have?

Marked the station it got stuck on - all 4. So frustrating! I wanna crank out a few thousand 9. At least solve this problem and then swap to 45acp. I'm gun shy of 9mm on this thing now.It sucks!

Wait. Are you saying they are all happening at the same slot in the plate? That's how I read it. If so, the plate is out of spec and rounds are being bulled through in one slot. Call Dillon and explain it that way.

Also let me add... I called Dillon about this, could it be a bad die or shell plate? Gist of their reply was "bad luck, sucks to be you." So then I turned to y'all. More info in a few days, promise.

I do not believe you. Dillon customer service is second to none. I have never heard of them not going above and beyond to help a customer troubleshoot a problem with their equipment.

I'd agree with Sarge that Dillion goes above and beyond in their customer service. Try another call. Now that you've gone over the possibilities here, you might be able to better explain the problem on the phone. I'm sure Dillon will make it right.

Marked the station it got stuck on - all 4. So frustrating! I wanna crank out a few thousand 9. At least solve this problem and then swap to 45acp. I'm gun shy of 9mm on this thing now.It sucks!

Wait. Are you saying they are all happening at the same slot in the plate? That's how I read it. If so, the plate is out of spec and rounds are being bulled through in one slot. Call Dillon and explain it that way.

No, got stuck at any spot, not just one on the plate.

Yeah, I've always heard about their customer service. Not impressed. No help at all and borderline rude.

I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds of 9mm on a 550 and never once had this happen with any kind of head stamp. I don't know what the problem is but you have one. Best thing to do until you figure it out is stay away from Speer brass, trade the shell plate out with a known good one and the sizing die. Between the 3 you will find it.

FWIW this was an old post on another site.

Speer brass
My only experience with Speer brass is in 9mm. I picked some up at the range and quickly found that the Speer 9mm +P does not mix well with my sizing die. They stick, I have carbide dies and don't use lube. Now when I find +P brass, I throw it out.
Could your brass be +P? Also that brass may have been previously loaded hot.
Also, Is it possible that the decapping pin is hanging up on a small flash hole? If the hole is small in the brass the pin will bind and stick the case.
Edited by Youngeyes

FWIW this was an old post on another site.

Speer brass

My only experience with Speer brass is in 9mm. I picked some up at the range and quickly found that the Speer 9mm +P does not mix well with my sizing die. They stick, I have carbide dies and don't use lube. Now when I find +P brass, I throw it out.

Could your brass be +P? Also that brass may have been previously loaded hot.

Also, Is it possible that the decapping pin is hanging up on a small flash hole? If the hole is small in the brass the pin will bind and stick the case.

Good to know. When I get home I'll hopefully find some Speer and measure them, see if they're bulged or whatever. Hopefully gather some good intel and call Dillon after the holiday and see if I can get any help.