Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun ready rifle for junior shoter

StjepanK

Hi,

Any direction whatsoever would be great on getting my daughter ( 14 ) year old equiped with 3 gun rifle?

She has shot some 3 gun matches with 22. AR and .22 pistol and is hooked.

Im in real pickle now!!

Requirements:

Weight is an issue. It can not be too heavy; my Stag 3 g she can handle only for small periods of time

Recoil needs to be under control

Budget $1,000-1500

Thanks ahead and any help would be appreciated

Stefan

Yeah, the Stag is a nice rifle but it is nose heavy and just heavy. To get something you need, it would probably need to be a custom build finding all the right parts such as light weight barrel (pencil barrel), possibly carbon fiber handguard, and a light but sturdy stock like the ACE, STR or MOE. There is a junior that shoots with us and his rifle is setup similar to this and it feels like a toy that it's so light.

Could you build the rifle or are you looking for a builder or a factory rifle that could close to what you need?

We build quite a few very light uppers. Depending on the lower, you can be in the range of 5 to 6 pounds for a complete rifle. Just had a customer in yesterday. 16" lightweight barrel with the Carbon Arms parts on it mated to a basic M4 style lower with a Hiperfire trigger. He walked out with a smile and a 6 pound AR.

I have my boys shooting a 3.9 pound .22AR and a 5.1 pound .223 AR built in a similar way, but with a bit more weight out of the lower. Both of those have a Burris Fastfire with a ARF mount to further keep the weight down. A lower you can build yourself easily. If you want some help in direction on parts and such, feel free to drop me a note or give me a call at the shop.

I would look at a basic M4 style rifle, and maybe swap out the handguard. It will be a little lighter, and you will probably pick up some accuracy going to the free float forend. I built my son a Del-ton kit for about $600 and the dang thing shoots 1.5" at 100yds with an inexpensive Millet in a pepper mount. I've got less than $900 in the whole gun. I won't say that you will get that kind of accuracy in every rifle from Del-ton, but it does show that there are some bargains out there. If my son wants to upgrade some stuff in the future like a new fore end, grip, stock etc, that kind of stuff will make great Christmas gifts and such. Good luck with your daughter and shooting! It is always great to hear about families doing this together.

Well thanks a whole lot. Here I am dreaming/scheming about a new 18” upper AR build for me and you come along and remind me I need to be thinking about building a light AR for my little princess! Humm, maybe I could re-work my back-up gun for her. Yeah that’s the ticket, it already has a 16” pencil barrel. Throw on a lighter handguard and she’s ready to rock! Daddy might get that new upper yet!

yeah I would also say go for a thin barrel and carbon tube, for sure. You can save some weight by milling out the middle of your scope mount, using an adjustable stock that's light and shaving it down some, and try to keep as little weight out front as possible.

Another suggestion would be to build her a registered SBR to start. It's a good of an excuse as any, and my 10" with light tube, thin barrel, and light stock is stupid light. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but if you're ever in DFW I could let you check it out. Not much paperwork, and then it's a great range toy when you're done. It's old set up was a 6" barrel, can, and Carbon Arms tube. it was like running around with a squirt gun!

I built my son a 16" Adams Evo UL barreled rifle this year. Put a Samson HG on it and aim point h1. Magpul CRT stock. Rainier comp. jake is 12 yo.

It is a lot about the barrel and HG choice. This thing is about 6 lbs and will shoot.

If I were in your shoes I would be building from the ground up. For barrel I'd get a ightweight 16" barrel (stainless or not) with a nice light handguard (personal choice would be the seekins mcsr v2). I would probably add handstops. For the muzzle I would use a miculek brake- very effective and not too much perceived loudness to the shooter (very loud to bystanders though). Final major components would be the stock and optic. The stock I would leave up to her by taking her to the local gun store and seeing what she likes. I would have her use an aimpoint pro or some other 1X magnification sight for her to learn on and not worry about eye relief/eye box or flipping the scope power lever.

I just built a rifle for 3 gun nation matches. Same concept with being light and nimble. Few suggestions brought forward by many smarter and better than me. You may have seen them on tv!!

First I suggest a criterion 16 inch hybrid mid length barrel. Match that with syrac adjustable gas block and Benny hill rolling thunder comp. Build on a forged upper of your choice and 15" rapid configuration handguard from JP along with their lightweight carrier. This combo yields a light upper that you can tune with gas block and comp to shoot very flat and light. The barrel has also shot sub MOA out to 300 yards in both uppers I have seen plus you get a barrel that is chrome lined and gets many thousands of rounds past stainless for this application. Put it on an upper of your choice with a good trigger and stock that fits.

Rifile success is all barrel comp and trigger along with fit. Add a healthy dose of practice and you are well on your way!!!

If you have no experience in building than contact carbon arms. They can get you where you need to be !!

Bets

I built a light weight ar a little while back. comes in at 5lbs 6oz. as pictured (minus mag) and is very pleasant to shoot with the comp.

20131025_231837.jpg

there is still weight to be saved with a non f/a upper, aimpoint with low pro gas block (or poly sights), shaved down a2 grip, standard charging hamdle, thread protector instead of a comp, or poly lower.

Edited by jon49erfan

jon, nice work. FWIW, the DPMS slcik side upper weighs more than a standard upper. I know there are some companies who claim they are less, but weigh them. A Delrin plug in the FA port deletes the FA assembly and takes out a few ounces, so you can use what you already have. The new Dynamic Resistance comp weighs less than anything else on the market that actually works, and only an ounce more than a thread protector. Not much effort and you should go sub 5 pounds.

The Ace UL stock is a great weight saver too.

thanks. reading your past posts inspired me to build light. I was looking at the new aero precision or Rainier arms uppers. I have a dpms slick side upper on my 22lr upper and it is definitely heavier. if the dynamic resistance comp is the one you sell, it's already on the rifle. it makes it MUCH better to shoot than the thread protector. double taps are impossible for me without it on this light of a rifle.

I'm sure I can get it under 5lbs, but I'd be giving up something I can't live without.