Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is it with...

Checked out e-bay a few minutes ago and what these people are willing to pay is nuts.

1K of .40 brass is currently up to 32.45 delivered. Hqbrass sells it for $20 delivered. Saw the same quantity sell for $5 on e-bay yesterday.

A crappy Lee single cavity mould started at $14.95 - Midway sells it for $14.29 - Somebody has bid $32.45 for it already.

These people are just nuts.

I used ebay to recycle hobbies. A couple of years back I sold some Magic cards,some old roleplaying books and a few roleplaying novels and miniatures. I turned those into a Savage 10FP and a scope plus it payed my for my build of an AR-15 and some other small bits. All together maybe $2000 for things that cost me less then $1000 and where now used.

Ebay, where you can sell a quarter for a dollar!

Oh yeah, so I'm a geek. You have a problem with that?

Vlad

I once sold some Federal Once fired 45 acp brass for like $70/k. Back when 40 brass was not as plentiful, I could easily get 2 to 3 cents each for nickel plated Winchesters. E-bay made me a pretty good chunk of change in brass sales alone. I think I sold 5 or 6 - 5 gallon buckets worth. Sometimes it sold for a lot, other times not so much, but they were always ok to pay for shipping. I certainly didn't mind selling it to them.

Vince

There's no way I'm ever going to pay over retail for anything on e-bay or anywhere else. Some folks appear to get some odd personal satisfaction over winning an auction. The $125 Wal-Mart card is a really good example, or that's the only reason I can think of anyway.

I just "won" an auction there for 2000 once-fired .45 auto cases. I bid $45 since I know it would cost me $80 (shipping included) from HQBrass. Shipping seemed a little high but my max total would still be a hair over $72.

In the last 2 freaking minutes of the auction that I was winning, I saw my cost increase from $27 to $45. I was half hoping the prick would go ahead and bid once more and I'd say screw it. Still, at $72.50 or whatever it ended up with shipping, it was a fair price.

I've sold a few moulds on e-bay, but so far I've never benefitted from these over-bidding types.

Not sure you can sell loaded ammo Erik. eBay is getting pretty weird about stuff of late and they have gone totally PC on the surface at least.

Gunbroker however has many of the same eBay types and you can sell guns.

It's not just ebay, it's all auctions. Ebay is just the most visible. Back in the good old days, there used to be deals at auctions. Well, somewhere along the line the sheeple decided that "all things at auction must therefore be a good deal." And prices went through the roof. Basically, anything under about $500 is generally a very bad deal at auction. The deals start at prices beyond people's pocket money / Visa card limit.

I love selling stuff on Ebay. I simply cannot believe how much I've made on stuff. I'll never buy on there again, however.

you really have to watch your bids..and add the shipping in..some have really high shipping..some items.the seller has no idea what it is and throws out a manufacturers name..

You eventually find some sellers that are very good to work with and sometimes there are deals and sometimes the price is fair..

but you really got to wonder sometimes about buyers and sellers..

The Secret: Just know the value of items both buying AND selling. I've had reasonable luck for a year on eBay. It's disconcerting that I sometimes can't sell a couple of really classy items (jewelry, let's say) that are really, really nice (no matter how often I list it), but some sort of other person's bogus crapola WILL sell. :rolleyes: It's not fair. (whine, whine).

But I've also had some predictable luck: My 1964 Jaguar XKE owner's manual with extras still in it--sold VERY quickly and nicely. Guys came out of the woodwork for that one. B) Sold a quantity of wristwatches by lot recently and guys were begging me to do a buy-it-now, so I made a quick $100 on it in a split second (to Canada). Listed a similar lot of watches a little later during a time when there were suddenly a great number of wristwatches at auction--couldn't get a nibble even though there were several buying 'watchers'. Relisted the watches... no nibbles... same number of buying 'watchers' in the background. How do you explain that...? And I still have to recoup the cost of the lot of watches I bought AND the lost listing fees!

Tonight I'm listing some vintage but excellent-condition computer components. Very risky IMO as they're all over the auction block right now... but if I keep them too long they'll be too old to sell at all. Gotta sell 'em. Nice photos, though. Much better than anyone else's. B):D

True antique items sell reliably well--things with OBVIOUS value. Antique dealers are lurking everywhere. But timing is everything... list something when the quantity on that item is DOWN, not when there's a million of it currently listed.

Know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em. B)