Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

646 or 610?

Sixgun

I've decided that I want to go back to what started me in shooting... the revolver.

In a bid to be "competitive" I've accumulated an STI open gun and an STI Limited gun, both in .40. A friend has said that I'm too "emotionally attached" to my brass, and I'm tired of scrounging around on the floor picking up brass. Due to the fact that I'm kinda lazy and don't want to switch primer sizes, the 625's are out.

I currently have a 686+, but don't really want to shoot it in IPSC due to leaving an unfired round on each reload. Plus those .40 cal holes seem much bigger than those .357 holes!

I really like the L frame, but have heard that the 646 is a bit light with 170 pf loads. I'd also like to use this revolver for pins, and generally run 195 - 205 pf.

The N-frame doesn't feel quite as nice to me, but is much easier to find, and has a bit more recoil dampening weight.

If you were in my situation, which revolver would you pick?

Thanks.

Ray

I've not held a 646 so I can't tell you much about it, however if the 646 is 40 S&W only, I'd say go for the 610 since you can load 10's or 40's and down/upload it. With the 646 you are limited to only 40 cal. Maybe what you might want to do is check on moonclip prices if that may influence you. 610 moons are pretty inexpensive probably in comparison to the 646 clips. I got some 686 clips recently and spent about $4 a clip. OUCH!.

I have a 610 classic wearing a 6.5" tube. it's big, beefy, and the 40 powder puff loads for ICORE are awesome, but it also tames down the major pf loads for IPSC pretty well.

Vince

Sixgun,

My wife shoots .40 S&W revolver in IPSC. She started with a 646 and liked it. When I had the chance to buy a 610, she liked it better.

I thought the 646 was a handful to shoot (recoil). The 610 is much more manageable IMO.

Moonclips are cheaper for the 610. Ranch products is the place to go.

Have fun,

Dave

Sixgun, I tried my 646 in USPSA. Only once !!!! It WILL wack the heck out of you @ 165+ PF. I can only imagine it at 205 PF. I now shoot my old 5" 610 using 40's. I'm not a small guy (6' 180#'s) and can take recoil with the best of them but the 646 is NOT the way to go.

I really, really like my 646 for IDPA shooting, where the power factor for SSR is only 125. The smaller, lighter revolver is fast from the kydex, fast transitioning from target to target, and plenty fast on the reload (with the correct moonclips). However, I must agree with the others who have posted above that the 646 is a little too jumpy with 165+ power factor loads. My 646 has a great trigger, and I would really like to be able to shoot it in IPSC over my old 25-2, but the difference in recoil is pretty significant. If the goal is to be competitive in USPSA Rev. division, choose the 610 and chamfer the chambers fairly heavily.

Good luck,

Mike

I have been shooting a 646 for a year and love it. I have small hands and the 610 and the 645 where just to big for me. I don't find the recoil to bad but may not beaing saying much. One of my guns that I enjoy to shoot the most is a 2" 357. Brownells hase the moon clips

I shoot a 646 in USPSA once per month with 170PF loads, and frankly, I don't notice the recoil. I have used factory ammo too, and that was noticeably hotter, but still no problem to control. For reference, I am 6 feet and 210 pounds, since all shooters were not created equal. My last revolver classifier with this ammo was 78.2552.

I like the L-Frame for many reasons, but mostly because it feels better in my hand and has a shorter trigger stroke than any N-Frame I have experienced. Mine breaks smoothly at 7-8 pounds DA, and the accuracy is awesome. My original motivation was so that I could load the same .40 round for my Edge, Trojan, Glock, and Revolver in bulk, and just grab a couple of boxes regardless of the gun.

I will be shooting ICORE 4 times a year starting in March, and will use this gun, probably with my major power factor ammo since I wouldn't reload a lighter load for 4 matches per year.

Moonclips are getting a lot more reasonable and easier to find. There is a thread in the revolver section of the forum with a link for where to get them for a good price. I personally think the reloading advantage goes to the 625. That said, the 646 is next, and the 610 requires the most dexterity. The distance between the charge holes in the cylinder is greater on the 610, and that is why I think the 646 loads faster. It is like a mini 625 in that respect.

It would be nice if you could try both guns first, then decide for yourself. A good revolver gunsmith can get a N-Frame pretty smooth, but I have always liked the K & L frames better. Not the same opinion as the other posts, but based on my limited experience as a part-time wheelgunner(when I have already shot limited).

I bought two 646s earlier this summer, one to shoot and one to sell.

I have shot two IDPA matches with one and recently sold the other one.

In a recent conversation with Steve of Ranch Products he told me that he hoped to have his first run of moonclips for the 646 duriing the Thanksgiving wekend and that they would be $1 - $1.25, which is about the same cost of 610 moonclips.

I have had a 625 for many years and while I really like it I personally think that it can't compare to a 646 with blance and pointability.

I have never shot any real hot loads out of it so I can't comment there but I have shot some 125 grain sizzlers out of 686s and while you knew you had touched off a stout one it was never what I would call severe.

Perhaps you could get someone to let you try both before you buy or just buy both and sell the one you don't like. I think they both are sellinig very well now.

One thing also, they only made 900 of the 646s and have made LOTS of 610s.

JNT

6gun,

Welcome HOME ;)

I have both, the 646 is still rather new to me and I really like the little gun as I have small hands too but with Jerry Miculeks grips the hand thing becomes a non issue for me.

I really like the action on my 646 and have yet to really get into it and smooth it out and put a good trigger kit in it but it is now sitting at around 7 pounds.

The 610 I have had for 3 years and have been all inside it and it has a 6 pound trigger so as you see the trigger thing is a non issue too. (this is a 4 inch gun)

UP until this spring I shot the 610 in USPSA and IDPA and just shot the same Major ammo and did not worry about light and heavy stuff. but then I got the 625 5 inch gun so I started playing with light loads in the 610 for IDPA (4 inch barrell rule)

When I got the 646 I thought that it would be the cats a$$ as Carmoney said as far as quick pointing and better reload and such.

Well a freind and I went to a state IDPA match the other day and he saw I had the 610 and said "where is the 646" and this was my reply...

"If you see me shooting the 646 I am just having a good time, but if I have the 610 I am here on business"

I had a problem with my 625 and sent it back to S&W for repair and had to shoot the 610 at an Area match and did as well with it as the 625.

the biggest thing in revolvers is you reload so many more times a match than any one else that the disaster factor is higher because of it.

My partners in the wheel gun world are right the 625 is the reload KING, then the 646 and then the 610, but with a real good chamfer job and some good moonclips I will take my 610 anytime.

I took it and the 625 to the range about a month ago and did some reload drills for comparison and this is what I got.

625 average reload 2 shots reload 2 shots (standing still and shooting As) 10 yds

2.27 (10 times)

610 same drill as above

so as you see the time difference is very small especially if you are shooting the 610 exclusively.

Now for recoil between the two....

the 610 wins hands down, in my opinion the 646 felt like I was shooting my 610 with 10 mm factory loads. it was controlable but the recoil was pretty mean.

and for minor... as I do know a few that even shoot their 625 with Minor at USPSA matches....

the extra weight of the 610 just absorbs it.

So in conclusion....

646 or 610?

for competetion in USPSA/IDPA/ICORE/NRA Bianci cup the 610

remember the 4 inch rule in IDPA

646 for ccw or automobile use. BUT did I tell you I really like this gun?

Sorry for the long reply but I thought that the info would be of help...

Hopalong / SAM KEEN

oh yeah, HI Shred!!! that sound right , coming from you :P

Get tricky.  625 with .45 GAP brass.  Small primer.

Shred,

the .45 GAP made some troubles with moonclips, or yours works fine ?

I would like to try some Starline .45 GAP ....... in my 625, which brand are yours?

Get tricky.  625 with .45 GAP brass.  Small primer.

Shred,

the .45 GAP made some troubles with moonclips, or yours works fine ?

I would like to try some Starline .45 GAP ....... in my 625, which brand are yours?

Honestly.. I have no idea, not having a 625, GAP brass or moonclips therefor... It's just a theory to me at this point, and I've heard the rim is somewhat different on GAP, but I bet one of the moonclip folks (moonclips.com, hearthco, etc) will be able to set you up.