Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get rid of the stacking feeling in Tanfo

eerw

onagoth. as far as rules go I cannot quote you a number, but IPSC production division coordinator Vince Pinto posted on this question in the IPSC global village: http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=15688&page=2

basically said that guns that come with or without it can have it removed (like apparently some CZ shadows were shipped with FPBs, most are without though. STI GP6 aparently had one but the GP6C does not). sadly as far as I know all stock II's have always had the FPB. perhaps if tanfoglio would write a letter stating that a customer could order a pistol without the FPB then we could chose to remove them (as it would mean it was possible for a gun to be shipped from the factory without FPB). I would love to remove mine. it certainly adds weight to the DA trigger...

Edited by BeerBaron

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BeerBaron...that settles it. Personally, I find the IPSC rule book inconclusive and poorly worded regarding removal of parts, but its obvious this issue has been addressed and ruled on.

I'm not a range lawyer by any means, but I do prefer clarity within the rule book if it can be...maybe that's just a function of what I do for a living.

Thanks BeerBaron...that settles it. Personally, I find the IPSC rule book inconclusive and poorly worded regarding removal of parts, but its obvious this issue has been addressed and ruled on.

I'm not a range lawyer by any means, but I do prefer clarity within the rule book if it can be...maybe that's just a function of what I do for a living.

yes, I tend to think the ruling is a tag unfair. If I bought a CZ that had a FPB I could remove it as that model was also available without FPB. but since the tanfog was always sold with FPB it can't be removed? that is not really 100% legit in my eyes (and yes I shoot a CZ shadow and a tanfog stock II). My point is if a CZ 75 with FPB removed is safe and more importantly legal for me to shoot in IPSC production, why isn't a stock II? but as you said. it's been asked and ruled on. so until we can somehow influence it otherwise (or prove that tanfog have shipped a model without FPB) then it has to stay in if we want to stay legal.

If I bought a CZ that had a FPB I could remove it as that model was also available without FPB

Is this true in IPSC? As I am aware it's not legal in USPSA.

According to Vince it is. As long as the model is offered without it from the factory.

Honestly I don't understand why people make a big deal about the FPB. I doubt anyone can tell there is one is in there if everything has been properly polished and the "hook" on the block fit to the firing pin (with the 1 piece sear). It actually reduces pull weight because the spring is pushing the sear open.....

The problem is in IPSC production you are not supposed to polish anything. You are allowed to remove an imperfection but fitting hook to pin etc is pretty much not allowed.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it does happen), but when pulling the trigger you are pushing against the FPB spring? it's creating more friction in the tigger action. removing one more piece that rubs on other bits is always going to help lighten and smooth out the trigger pull.

Over time internal parts will have some kind of polish in them specially the rubbing parts. Saying that one is not suppose to polish a part means that a used part with polished area should be replaced to be legal.

I have shot my stock 2 with and without FPB and it didn't change squat. Trigger pull is the same range, in number and by feel. But i do understand that one part lesser that may contribute the trigger pull, is lighter. in some extent. But the FPB on this one is about negligible. YMMV.

It actually reduces pull weight because the spring is pushing the sear open.....

Yes, the CZ FPB spring is compressed during the trigger stroke while the Tanfo spring is relaxed. Trying a heavier spring has been on my list of stuff to try (albeit fairly low).

Yup, the way the Tanfo FPB spring antagonizes the sear spring is pretty clever. I toyed around with that heavier spring idea as well but I haven't been able to find a spring small enough to fit in the FPB block and yet strong enough to make a difference on the trigger pull.

The problem is in IPSC production you are not supposed to polish anything. You are allowed to remove an imperfection but fitting hook to pin etc is pretty much not allowed.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it does happen), but when pulling the trigger you are pushing against the FPB spring? it's creating more friction in the tigger action. removing one more piece that rubs on other bits is always going to help lighten and smooth out the trigger pull.

If something is not fit properly fitting it would be considered removing a imperfection.

As the sear lifts up from th hammer...it goes down at the front, lowering the block out of the way. It won't add anything to the trigger...but may aactually lower it. I took mine out of my open and standard gun as it is not necessary, and if not paired up right the pin may strike the block, causing a light hit or no hit in the primer

Edited by Mo Hepworth