Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero FMJ vs Xtreme plated for a newb?

JLeeCZ

Accepting the obvious, plated vs FMJ, which is best for the new reloader. Will be using 230 gr, 231 powder, out of a Glock 21 for training, practice, and some local club shoots.

Edited by XDMer

Neither is harder to load than the other. With the plated you just need to make sure you don't overcrimp. For .45ACP you really just need to remove the flare anyway. I use the same crimp and loads for both plated and FMJ. With 231, 5.2-5.4 is a classic load that seems to be accurate for lots of folks but work up yours accordingly.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Buddy of mine uses tons of Xtreme 230 RN's, work well in his XD's and they have shot fine in my 1911's.

Never used the Zero's myself but plated are probably much cheaper.

Not sure if plated are included in the Do Not Use Lead issues with a Glock though. You may need to ask a Glock guy since I have heard you are not supposed to run straight lead in them and plated are not that different from straight lead.

Plated are definitely different than straight lead. My suggestion is to get both extreme bullets and zeros and see which your gun likes most or if there are no difference go with the extreme as they are cheaper and you can get them just about any time of the year. I have been shooting zeros for the last couple of years and have since switched to extreme just cause I can get them when I need them. Zeros are great bullets but they are hard, hard, hard to find. Hope that helps.

J

Zero has always been a superbly accurate bullet for me. They do very well at 50 yards. I have used a bunch of the 230 RN for bullseye device pistol and loads of the 115grain 9mm. The 148 HBWC is great for PPC too.

More than you asked for sure. Zero is an accurate bullet. That's one of the reasons they are so hard to get.

No experience with the 230gr Xtreme but have had great results with the 200gr hollowpoints and Xtreme 180gr .40sw. Great prices too. Just don't over-crimp...as everyone else says...ask me how I know....

Cheers623

DVC

How do you know?

• 4 weeks later...

I preferred Zero's and shot thousands of them in .40 S&W. They became difficult to get so I switched to Berrys and X-treme bullets and did not notice any accuracy mean shift. X-treme has a much shinier outer surface than Berrys or Zeros but that is about all I noticed. I have had some feeding issues with X-treme 200 grain copper plated SWC .45s but their LSWC shoot fine. They look like identical bullet shapes but perhaps lead makes them feed better than the copper plated? No experience with their 230s though.

Zero are very good bullets.

For a newb, I'd recommend any jacketed bullet over plated, if you can get them. As mentioned, overcrimp is easy to do and a much bigger problem for plated bullets than FMJ/JHP.

Xtreme seems to have lovers and haters. I shot a few boxes of their 147gr 9mm, and had tumbling issues depending on which of my Glocks I put them through. Never had that problem with jacketed.

Zero are very good bullets.

For a newb, I'd recommend any jacketed bullet over plated, if you can get them. As mentioned, overcrimp is easy to do and a much bigger problem for plated bullets than FMJ/JHP.

X2 for a newb plated can be very finicky and zero's jacketed bullets are not only very good but also a good price when you can find them.

Experiment with plated in small batches it may take a little more time to dial things in but once there they work fine.

I have used Xtreme bullets for a couple of years and have shot at least 10 thousand of them in 9, 40, and 45. Never had any problems with them. The price is good and the quality is great. One thing that I noticed is that the plating is so thick you have to load close to jacketed bullet data so you have to be careful with heavy bullets and fast burning powders. I highly recommend Xtreme.

• 4 months later...

As another newb, I started with xtreme plated and so far I have not seen any issues with them in my g30, I used 4.6 grns of 700x and seated to 1.200 the min, the brass flew about 7 feet where the factory speer and other factory brass I had flew about 10. recoil was controllable. I just ordered another k of the 230 from xtreme.

As another newb, I started with xtreme plated and so far I have not seen any issues with them in my g30, I used 4.6 grns of 700x and seated to 1.200 the min, the brass flew about 7 feet where the factory speer and other factory brass I had flew about 10. recoil was controllable. I just ordered another k of the 230 from xtreme.

I have 700x, alot of 700x, that I also plan to use with 230 Xtreme and PD FMJs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

I still have a very old Lyman book, the book I started with loading for my 30-06AI years ago. I like Lyman for reference as the load data seems to be mid range between conservative and hot (if I remember right). Problem is that it doesn't have the newer powders. I have probably half a dozen books out there.

If I were you I wouldn't buy any books though. A lot of load data is available online for free. Every powder maker I know of has data for free. One might not have it in the bullet/powder combo you want, look around though. I shoot 185g xtreme flat noses over 8.6g of Accurate 5 (Nosler load) and the accuracy is great. (I like that Nosler lists their most accurate, its a good starting point) For now I'm going to stick with it as I'm just starting and don't want more variables as I learn. I would like to find a powder that does as well with less charge weight (and maybe one easier to find than no 5) and I'd like to try the hollow points instead. I haven't chrono'd but going off what their book says I'm probably not making major power factor, for now I don't care but at some point I'm going to have to push it a little faster.

Some guys love load development, I never have. I hit on a great combo I have a real hard time bringing myself to mess with it.

Red