Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sling Technique & Mounting

zachvu

I decided to post this in here, as it applies to both shotgun and rifle. I know most 3 gun matches don't require a sling, but the upcoming Hard as Hell 3 Gun will for all long guns.

My first question is quite simple. Where do you mount a two point sling on an AR and why? I know there are QD, Uncle Mikes, Hooks, and all sorts of mounting options for just about any location, but I want to know where on your rail (or elsewhere) the front of your sling is attached, and where on the rear. Most of what I have seen has the mounts close to the receiver on the front, and the back of the stock on the rear. My concern with this is the front of your rifle banging around in your shotgun caddy / mag pouch area. Would the base of the buffer tube be a better location, as a tight sling would lift the rifle up higher?

Now it gets a little more complex..... Shotgun - How can you sling a shotgun with an extension, while not hitting the ground when facing down, and being able to maneuver safely? Vertically over your back on an angle seems more practical, but how can that be done without breaking a 180? Also, is there any reason a shotgun can't be slung in front upside down using the UM style pin holes that are already in the stock and fore end?

Please answer what you can, along with the advantages that method has, and the technique for deploying from the given slung position. I've watched quite a few videos from other matches requiring slings, but want to know what works and why!

This is my experience. It's likely different from others- but that doesn't make mine either right or wrong.

Rifle- I like to mount my sling as near the buttplate as possible and as near the front of the forearm as possible without affecting my grip. My front qd mount is about 6" from the end of my 15" handguard. How you do this is going to depend upon your type of equipment. If there is much movement before the rifle is needed, I sling muzzle up with the rifle across my back, muzzle above my right shoulder. This allows me to grab the barrel w/ my left hand and rotate the rifle around my body to my front.

Shotgun- I use either a barrel clamp w/ a sling mount or a qd lug that goes between your barrel ring over the mag tube and the nut for the extension. The other end is attached at the butt of the shotgun, either by drilling a hole and installing a QD in the side or just using the regular Uncle Mike's swivels. I also sling the shotgun muzzle up across my back w/ the barrel above my right shoulder. I use a 26" M1 and I'm vertically challenged so muzzle up keeps it out of the dirt.

I like muzzle up for both guns because it keeps the muzzles clean and also keeps the gun from hitting props if there is any climbing or jumping involved.

But, if there is little movement involved before needing the slung gun, I'll sling across my chest, muzzle down to the left, using the same sling attachment points.

Share with us your type of rifle stock and handguard and you'll get some recommendations on hardware.

Edited by Bryan 45

I'm currently running a Benelli Nova with a Nordic Comp extension, and a Ruger with a full quad rail, original M4 Style stock with bottom sling attachment, and a place to run a sling through the top rear of the stock. I have a few pieces of hardware to try out, just trying to figure out where exactly I should mount them! Thank you for the advice also!!

Couple options on the Nova. If you're willing to drill a hole in the stock, one of the neatest sling options I've seen recently is available from the Shooters Source. Check their vendor forum for info. It comes with the qd insert for the stock and the qd ring to go between the barrel lug and the mag tube.

If you don't want to drill, VTAC makes a but stock adapter that goes over the pad and allows for a side sling mount. It's a little bulky though. You can run a barrel clamp with a qd point on the muzzle end, available from Nordic.

On the rifle, probably the easiest thing to do is use a picatinny mounted sling mount. Magpul makes several different styles as well as other companies. I don't have direct experience with these types so I'll refrain from recommending anything particular.

Personally, I like to use as similar of hardware as I can on my rifle and shotgun slings so that if something breaks I have a backup.

My approach was that I wanted to be able to move the sling between shotgun and rifle (since I haven't yet heard of a match that requires both long guns slung on a single stage). So the solution was defined by my shotgun; I'd had my M2 worked over and the 'smith had installed a sling swivel stud on the forearm. I drilled a hole in the stock to insert a Noveske QD socket. Therefore I got the Magpul QD socket for my ACS stock on the rifle and put in a 6-o'clock swivel stud (which double as a bipod attachment point) on my Lancer carbon fiber forearm.

I am going to look into finding a decent way to put a front QD on my shotgun (I do not use a barrel clamp), which will simplify the whole setup, but what I have works for now.

I run an AR15 G.I. sling with a sling swivel at the back for the stock and then make a loop for the front that just slides over the mag tube. As long as the overall length of the sling is shorter that the length of the tube it cant come off. It is light weight, costs about $10.00 and is just as fast as anything else I've tried.

I have QD flush cups in every long gun.

Guns are tools, if I need my tool to perform a certain job, I have no problems modifying the tool to do it.

I just ordered 2 from Jeremy at Shooters Source....they work slick, although they don't allow the swivel to rotate. When you install the cup make sure it's in a position that you want your sling swivel to be.

I do the same as Kurt with my shotgun, the vtac sling and strap for the rear and a loop around the tube.

For the rifle, as a right handed shooter, mount the rear of the sling as Brian said as far back as possible. If you have the ability, mount the rear of the sling on the right side of the buttstock as opposed to the left and the front of the sling on the left side of the gun. This keeps the sling out of your face.

Jay

My old 1100 CM came with QD sling mounts front (barrel clamp) and rear (traditional spot on bottom of buttstock) so that was easy. I did not have a sling long enough, so I made one from 1 1/4" Nylon strap and a couple of Uncle Mike's QD mounts. On my AR I run a standard A2 buttstock and found a great QD replacement rear stud. It fits in the same slot as the rear A2 sling mount and is held in by the same screw but is a little QD stud instead of sling mount. Bought it at Midway, they have a couple of different ones for under $10 as I recall. For the front of my AR I carefully drilled and tapped the bottom of my picatinny rail gas block. It is a set-screw gas block and I had room between a couple of the set screws for a short-screw QD stud. The gas block is a dummy, out in front of the free float handguard (for the longest sight radius) and is used only to hold my offset front sight.* As luck would have it, the same length sling I made up for the shotty worked for the AR, although I still made another one to have a spare (two is one, one is none). I am right handed, and sling both guns butt down to right and muzzle up over left shoulder. I find it pretty quick to grab the sling up high with my left hand, throw it up and over my head while pulling my right arm out of the sling and grabbing the grip of the long gun with my right hand. This may not be the fastest method, but keeps the long gun off my other gear and from snagging anything during presentation (like my pistol or holster). I will say this, please PLEASE give this some thought BEFORE you actually need a sling for a match. I have seen all manner of crap holding slings on guns at matches, and a few dropped (unloaded, or at least chamber empty) guns because of it as well!

*My back-up AR is fitted similiarly, except I drilled and tapped the bottom of the free float handguard for the QD stud. Works fine. Bought a whole package of the little studs from Midway pretty cheap.

Edited by chevyoneton

I inherited my dad's 1952 JC Higgins Model 58322 20 GA Bolt Action. It does not have a a sling mount in the front or rear. I would like to carry this into the woods since it is still accurate but having a sling would make my life a little easier. Is there anything I can use that won't detract from the look but is still useful? I normally sling arms on the road and carry across my body from right to left when on trail so I want something that will help me get on target asap as well.

There is no perfect or really good way to sling guns for 3 gun. It should be avoided at all costs by matches IMHO.

I use a Viking tactics sling. My Benelli has the VTAC buttstock adapter out back and a Nordic QD attachment point on the barrel clamp. My Stag 3G had a QD up from one home out from the receiver in the Samson evo Handguard and it looks through the back on my ACE or PRS stocks.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

There is no perfect or really good way to sling guns for 3 gun. It should be avoided at all costs by matches IMHO.

I agree slinging a shotgun is a little impractical, but I think slinging a rifle is a great test of equipment and shooter. I wish more matches required negotiating the stage with a rifle slung.

I agree slinging a shotgun is a little impractical, but I think slinging a rifle is a great test of equipment and shooter. I wish more matches required negotiating the stage with a rifle slung.

I agree it is a test and gear and skill. But I'd rather spend my limited seconds of time at a match shooting rather than getting unslinging guns.

Right on Jesse! Staging firearms is much safer, less likely to cause unintentional muzzle infractions and eats up far less time.

In 30 years of law enforcement I never had a sling on a shotgun. Rifle yes, shotgun, never.

:cheers:

At a match such as last weekends USCA nationals I used my sling in a single point configuration mounted at the back of the reciever (similar to Magpul ASAP). This worked so well for me I'm going to play with this configuration more often. Ultimately the stage(s) may dictate the method of sling use so options are a good thing.

I prefer my Viking tactics 2 point sling. I use it with the VT buttstock adapter if I have to have one on my shotgun. Watching people with single point slings can be quite humorous, especially when they are wearing shorts and drop their rifle and try to run after that barrel is good and hot. A hot comp bouncing off the knees like a pin ball, and that fore end bouncing around and smacking them in the nads makes me wonder......why???

• 4 weeks later...