Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best kept secret on budget great shotgun.

gunfighteruk

Following a posting by Patrick Kelley a while back on the little used Stoeger 3000, i decided to get a budget shotgun for use at the Rockcastle 3 Gun Nation International , not wishing to pay British Airways $300 + just to fly with my old Mossberg 930 that was not in the best shape.

This was bought by a PhilG-80 at Gander mountain a week before the match for just under $500. a +5 Nordic tube was fitted & after a bit of work on the extention tube , it turned out being a very straight shooter.The gun had no issues in the match with 150+ birdshot & a good number of buck & slug rounds that the RO's shot up a staged car after the event !

Having owned an M2 in the past the feel & function was almost the same including ghost loading only the trigger was harsh but then this was a brand new gun out of the box.

This was a real eye opener & would reccomend this to any shotgunner.

Stoeger_zps554c9dc4.jpg

Factory loading port was big enough for "load two",although a bit of opening up would be good.

stunder_zps2ff716c0.jpg

Factory magtube had to be cut & smoothed out to accept Nordic-nova tube:

t2_zpsc79f4679.jpg

t3_zps36214b55.jpg

24" Stoeger 3000:

n4_zps06f90d16.jpg

Phillip did a great job fitting the nordic tube, a Match saverz & a modified ext bolt handle:

t4_zps3f6d25df.jpg

So for under $600 a kick ass shotgun with no piston to jam up !

Edited by gunfighteruk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few shooters in NZ use them, good value for money but like a lot of inertia guns you need a stout load to make them cycle reliably which of course makes them quite heavy recoil wise. I shot one with some Winchester 1oz Slugs and the recoil was borderline nasty. Having now been exposed to the low recoil levels that you get with a Versamax I would never go back to an inertia gun.

Less stuff, I know no one wants for the article where I lay it all out...

Bottom line,

Mod the loading port.

Add a tube.

Round the toe of the recoil pad.

Add sights if you wish ( I do)

Go shoot!

What about the carrier release...do I have to bend or cut or polish it? No, it is not like a benelli in that area.

If you shop a bit you could assemble this gun for about $525.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Great thread, but where are you guys buying a 24" black one from? I've spoken with Stoeger on several occasions and they keep saying the first of that configuration will hit the US around 1 Dec.

Got mine at a local Gander Mountain like the Op. Only had 26/28" on the shelf but I asked and they had several 24" in the back. It was $479.00, a little more than internet prices but after ffl and shipping it was a wash.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=618029

Edited by bowhazard

Less stuff, I know no one wants for the article where I lay it all out...

Bottom line,

Mod the loading port.

Add a tube.

Round the toe of the recoil pad.

Add sights if you wish ( I do)

Go shoot!

What about the carrier release...do I have to bend or cut or polish it? No, it is not like a benelli in that area.

If you shop a bit you could assemble this gun for about $525.

Thanks very much for this info. I dislike shotgun, but love the other two guns so much I've been trying to figure out a way to get a halfway-decent shotgun for 3gun at a minimum price.

Is that work you list so common that a wide range of smiths can do it, or is it very technical and specialized?

Edited by ummm