Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Showing Off

rowdyb

I had been winning the overall at local IDPA Matches and for sure first Expert. I had placed top 10 at Nationals. I just won at the CA state idpa championships. My practice sessions were going great! I'd just started reloading and the first match shooting my own ammo.

Things were going great!

So there I was, minutes before the shooters meeting was to start and I saw a metal I-beam and thought to myself, "I'm gonna crank out some pull ups. Show these dudes I'm not only a better shot, but fitter than they are too."

Couple comments are made to me. So then I decide to do one finger pull ups. (i used to rock climb tons, so this seemed like no big deal. well doing it 3 years ago and doing it cold, today were two different things!!!)

On the second 1 finger pull up, a loud POP. Torn tendon on middle finger on my shooting hand. Right at the very start of a state idpa match. I immediately iced it, took nsaids but the damage was done. Beyond just the pain and limited use it totally screwed me up mentally.

A match I might have won class, I was 6th of 8. Looking at video I was tentative and my 2 no shoots for the match were decided by the grease ring.

Lesson? Do not show off before a match. As a matter of fact, don't do anything to put your training and prep in jeopardy before a match.

Right before nationals I felt I needed a break, so I went to the motocross track. As I was coming off a jump wrong and anticipating a crash I thought to myself, "uh oh, this won't be good for nationals". Dumb.

Again, do not do anything before a match to put yourself in the position to get hurt.

I'm now not able to use my right hand (my dominant hand) for shooting for a month and won't be 100% for three months.

add ego to anything and it usually ends up badly.

I learned very early that you never need to show that you are good at anything. Everyone always notices who are the best, whatever the activity is. The first match I ever won I never said a word once the results came out, didn't have to since people just can to me with the congrats

the match i hurt myself right before i shot like normal.

for local matches i'm shooting support (left) hand only. got a lefty holster and shoot the whole thing left only. gotta do that for at least a month.

yeah, if i hadn't had ego, i wouldn't have decided to do something dumb. the attitude lead to the action.

recap:

1. keep your ego in check. nothing good comes from showing off.

2. do nothing to jeopardize your physical preparations.

3. use your "sick time" well, find whatever you can to work on and do so.

Sounds like you're good to go, especially the last one ... I developed a wrist problem in Sept and 7 Oct was the last time I fired my gun ... Since I could only use my strong hand I used the last month to work on my SHO skills ... I have developed a legit .8 sec SHO draw to a 10 yd target and when I'm on I can pull a few .7s ....

Unless you're in a coma there is probably something you can be doing ...

• 2 months later...

I was doing some training a couple of years ago and we were all in line to knock out pullups. The last time I had done a pullup was my last Marine Corps PFT. People were talking about how hard they were and it was getting on my nerves. I quickly made the statement that "any man who can't do 20 pullups should be castrated in order to save this country". A few minutes later I knocked out my 12 and silently walked away.

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing some training a couple of years ago and we were all in line to knock out pullups. The last time I had done a pullup was my last Marine Corps PFT. People were talking about how hard they were and it was getting on my nerves. I quickly made the statement that "any man who can't do 20 pullups should be castrated in order to save this country". A few minutes later I knocked out my 12 and silently walked away.

I have the used to be in really good shape and sometimes for some reason think I still am problem as well. Lol

I've noticed being fit really helping me with my shooting. I had a back injury in 2007 that would cause pain with a heavy gun my hip. Now that I've started lifting weights again the pain has almost vanished. Plus, being able to run on those long field courses really helps.