Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Loading port work and welded lifter

hysupra

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video on the 3000 was pretty good! I've got all the tools except the vice! Go figure.

LOL, FYI the vise iI am using is a Cheap Harbor Freight one. I think it was like 20 -30 dollars. good luck

Thanks to Oskino and others, I took the plunge and went dremeling on my perfectly fine JM930. Did not do the sides, just the front end where my thumb ends up. Also reshaped the ass end of the handguard to look and function better, if I get into deuces and quads in the future. Finally, stippled the grip- a major improvement when reloading as it feels much more secure with only one hand on the gun.IMG_20140505_094715_766.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_094745_887.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_094916_744.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_095151_724.jpg?u=9d444125 Lifter work by CRums. Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Edited by mpom

Thanks to Oskino and others, I took the plunge and went dremeling on my perfectly fine JM930. Did not do the sides, just the front end where my thumb ends up. Also reshaped the ass end of the handguard to look and function better, if I get into deuces and quads in the future. Finally, stippled the grip- a major improvement when reloading as it feels much more secure with only one hand on the gun.IMG_20140505_094715_766.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_094745_887.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_094916_744.jpg?u=9d444125IMG_20140505_095151_724.jpg?u=9d444125 Lifter work by CRums. Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Awesome man, glad you took the plunge, photos are not visible though.

I don't shoot 3 gun, but am tired of my thumb getting hung up on my 930 elevator.

I want to buy a spare elevator (if it isn't expensive) to modify. I have googled looking for elevators but can't find a supplier. Mossberg customer support didn't help.

Where can I purchase one? How much do they cost?

Thanks

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I don't shoot 3 gun, but am tired of my thumb getting hung up on my 930 elevator.

I want to buy a spare elevator (if it isn't expensive) to modify. I have googled looking for elevators but can't find a supplier. Mossberg customer support didn't help.

Thanks

You can't. I own a 930 JM Pro and have been researching for quite a while for a place to buy a spare. No such luck. Your best option is still to just send it off somewhere to get it welded.

Thanks

You can't. I own a 930 JM Pro and have been researching for quite a while for a place to buy a spare. No such luck. Your best option is still to just send it off somewhere to get it welded.

Wow! I have a mig welder and can do it if I have to ....just want a spare.

What's the deal with Mossberg parts? What if I want a bolt, stock, mag spring, etc...etc?

If you needed a small part like a pin was missing or something , Mossberg customer service will probably just mail it to you. Anything like a bolt or carrier is missing, I wouldn't be surprised if they make you mail your shotgun and charge you for putting in the replacement part.

• 2 weeks later...

http://imgur.com/qhEbyqL,amnDo7Y,ZjHOYj5#0

Hopefully the 3 photos will show up!

http://imgur.com/qhEbyqL,amnDo7Y,ZjHOYj5#0

Hopefully the 3 photos will show up!

Man I am dig'n the stippling but come on get more aggressive with your loading port overall it does look good. The only thing is that you will notice that sharp edges will bother you when loading quick. I did another 930 last night here are some pics.The last is of my Stoeger

post-51323-0-29986800-1400424881_thumb.j

post-51323-0-56704800-1400424889_thumb.j

post-51323-0-51507400-1400424898_thumb.j

post-51323-0-18779800-1400424909_thumb.j

Edited by Oskino

Holy sh**!

I am right on the edge of the mag tube, so did not go anymore forward, but it seems like you did. No fear of weakening the mag tube?

Did not work on the sides, obviously. Do you find that removing material there makes a significant difference in terms of ease of loading? Looks cool, but is the juice worth the squeeze?

Last picture is what, a Stoeger 3K?

Thanks for the encouragement.

LMAO,Def do not go anymore forward I think you pushed that to the limit.LOL And yes the last one is of my Stoeger and no I think you took more forward than I did, that last thing I want to do is have the follower pop out, but I did push it as well. :) FYI my old stomping ground use to be VA Beach. I still have a lot of family there.

Edited by Oskino

LMAO,Def do not go anymore forward I think you pushed that to the limit.LOL And yes the last one is of my Stoeger and no I think you took more forward than I did, that last thing I want to do is have the follower pop out, but I did push it as well. :) FYI my old stomping ground use to be VA Beach. I still have a lot of family there.

My family will be vacationing at Virginia Beach next week. We have been looking forward to it all year.

I took enough away from my A5 that in one spot I can just see the edge of the tube. I know others have gone past that line and since there isn't as much material there on the A5 I have to assume that contributes to having them break in half when you toss them into a dump barrel.

Funny, you guys talk about VA Beach, but we just got back from a week in the OBX!

Yeah, will leave front of loading port alone! May get the tools out again again if the factory profile of the sides gives me any grief during loading. Suspect the problem is the Indian, not the bow...

Funny, you guys talk about VA Beach, but we just got back from a week in the OBX!

Yeah, will leave front of loading port alone! May get the tools out again again if the factory profile of the sides gives me any grief during loading. Suspect the problem is the Indian, not the bow...

I'm actually vacationing in the OBX the 3rd week of August , don't know if you ever have been to Pea Island but it is super chill and steps from the shore. I like your analogy, good luck with your bow. :)

• 2 months later...
Finally got around to opening the port on my JM Pro. Much thanks to many of the posts and videos I found on this board. Lifter was welded by Southern Kentucky Tactical, who did a great job.

Looks good man, keep an eye on the retaining pin the holds the bolt release. They are known to "pop out" while shooting, I have been to two matches where that pin came out and put the 930 out of commission for two dif guys.

I recently purchased a 930. Just for fun. Don't plan to compete with it.

Although I haven't injured myself, I have caught my thumb in the U-shaped part of the elevator you guys are welding. This is just casual use... not loading fast.

My question is: What is the purpose of that U-shaped part of the elevator?

Looks good man, keep an eye on the retaining pin the holds the bolt release. They are known to "pop out" while shooting, I have been to two matches where that pin came out and put the 930 out of commission for two dif guys.

Thanks for the heads up.

I actually left the release on when I did the filing job.. but I'm going to take it off tonight to inspect then clean and polish.

Although I haven't injured myself, I have caught my thumb in the U-shaped part of the elevator you guys are welding. This is just casual use... not loading fast.

from my understanding it is suppose to help guide the shell in the mag tube

Thanks for the heads up.

I actually left the release on when I did the filing job.. but I'm going to take it off tonight to inspect then clean and polish.

np, you may even want to contact mossberg and they will send you out 2 replacements at a time, so if it does happen you can get it back up and running. If I were you try to tighten up the little retaining clip to make sure it is tight.... one last thing on your trigger assembly you may want to round off the edge that feeds into the loading port..it helped me as it took away the sharp edge.

Edited by Oskino

from my understanding it is suppose to help guide the shell in the mag tube

Thanks for the heads up.

np, you may even want to contact mossberg and they will send you out 2 replacements at a time, so if it does happen you can get it back up and running. If I were you try to tighten up the little retaining clip to make sure it is tight.... one last thing on your trigger assembly you may want to round off the edge that feeds into the loading port..it helped me as it took away the sharp edge.

So, I'm glad you had me check that pin out.

When I went to slide the hitch pin off over the retaining pin, I couldn't find it or see it. There was nothing connected to the retaining pin. So I went to see if I could push the pin out and sure enough it slides right out and when I pull the carrier latch out I see the hitch pin all alone on my cleaning mat. I guess it was my lucky day. If I hadn't decided to round the edges and polish the carrier latch, I certainly would have lost the retaining pin during my next match.

The following links helped me:

Fixing A Mossberg 930 Feed-From-The-Tube Problem

Mossberg 930 Bolt Release Disassembly/Reassembly

So let me echo your warning Oskino, everyone check that pin when you get a chance.

Anyway, rest of the cleaning and assembly went well. Opened port, welded lifter.. polished all parts and cleaned the gas piston.. testing functionality tomorrow and should be good to go for my 3-gun match this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I started doing the loading port work on my 930 JM and have some questions before i finish it up. I've gun in a gradual slope on the receiver walls from the TG towards the follower, no problem there. When opening up the "mouth" of the port near the follower, i've got a nice semi-circular cut that exposed a crescent shaped piece of the follower. Then i went to adding an inner "ramp" to the cut at the mouth where the follower is exposed thinking it will help with funneling the top of the shells in. As

i was hogging out material on the inside of this area where the inside of the mag tube meets the receiver, i go thinking, is there a mechanism that keeps the follower from pushing through? Looking at the receiver material, it seems like there may or may not be a general lip cast into the aluminum receiver that basically acts as a stop for both installing the mag tube and for retaining the follower. This lip basically has an ID slightly smaller than the ID of the mag tube and the follower so they dont just pass through.

What i can't see is if this lip is 360 degrees or just a small portion on the lower half near where we remove material as it seems to be thicker there. Is it important to NOT remove all that inner material on the lower half and leave something to act as a follower stop or is there something else that prevents it from popping out? I want to make the most effective funnel shape, but I dont want to take too much off and ruin the receiver.

I wrapped up my loading port modifications on the 930. I tried to open up the mouth area as much as possible by flaring it, creating a funnel and all that. I did leave a little material in front of the follower on each side since it looks like it acts as a stop and i dont want to find out the hard way if you remove too much.

I think i could have made the short leg of the overall "V" cut a little steeper which would allow the entire thumb to get closer to the follower. Its more of a "J" rather and the curvature means you still only use the tip of the thumb to seat the shells, although you dont have to push your thumb all the way inside like it was stock. Also, with the slot on the right for the shell catch, you can't cut as deep otherwise you start getting into all that stuff inside (pin, clip, etc).

I tried contouring the handguard with a rasp but it seems there is a bit of a gap between it and that plastic part in the piston assembly. looks like you would need to fill that with epoxy or something, then you can contour it more. The sharp edge sometimes grabs my hand when loading.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg