Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Loading port work and welded lifter

hysupra

This might be a stupid question, but on polished lifters and other internal parts, how do you avoid rusting? Reason i ask is that I got my lifter welded by C-Rums, who blued it afterwards but in wear areas it rusts. So I wanted to polish it after I finish opening the loading port, but that means that all the blueing is going to come off, leaving the metal exposed. Any recommendations or experience on how to keep those nice polished parts from rusting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's weird, do you keep your guns in the garage or somewhere humid or has a lot of moisture? I used billet wheel polish I had laying around. That should seal it for a little while.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hysupra, I live in Puerto Rico, less than 2 miles from the beach, humidity is just a given. Anyway, i finally did my loading port, not to aggressive yet, but it is the first try to see if my L2 times improve.

post-43716-0-87105000-1392488354_thumb.j

post-43716-0-48371800-1392488387_thumb.j

post-43716-0-28915700-1392488405_thumb.j

Iswope the stoeger looks great. I love how the hand guards fit on them.

What process did you use?

Thanks, maybe my pictures are a little better than real life, eh? Basically I roughed it in with hand files, got a little impatient and went to the dremel to take it down more, then back to the hand files to even things out and round out the corners. Then finished up with 600 grit sand paper. Plan on finishing with a little finer sand paper and some steel wool but don't have any at home right now. Need to get off my butt and get to the hardware store.

I should have dropped the dremel, though, because I ended up with a couple of slips which put some scratches on the gun. It's not the end of the world and, hey, I'm going to be tossing this thing in buckets in a month or so, but it still annoys me that I was too impatient to make it nice.

You guys with welded lifters on the versamax. I've heard of the shot shells hanging up on the edge of the chamber. Someone said just dremel or chamfer the edges. Is this on the sharp edge of the chamber or what? Do all you guys that welded those have any problems with feeding it ejecting? They look good guys. I'm wanting to have mine done. But was curious to any feeding or ejection problems from it.

You guys with welded lifters on the versamax. I've heard of the shot shells hanging up on the edge of the chamber. Someone said just dremel or chamfer the edges. Is this on the sharp edge of the chamber or what? Do all you guys that welded those have any problems with feeding it ejecting? They look good guys. I'm wanting to have mine done. But was curious to any feeding or ejection problems from it.

The sharp edge is leading into the chamber, where the extractor rides. Remington copied Benelli really well there, the edge is sharp on both brands. I didn't have my lifter welded, I silver brazed a filler piece in, and cut a radius in the end with a 1/2" endmill, and put a small 45 degree chamfer on the corners. Thumb won't fit, and it helps guide the shell.

Are the problems from the home jobs? Or same issuses if c rums or triangle does it? I'm not a welder. I was thinking of having Jeff do it. Just want to be aware of what problems can be had and how to fix. Just chamfer slightly all sharp edges on lifter and chamber area then

• 2 weeks later...

Hysupra, I know this is related to an old post, but I have a question on your modification to the 930 handguard. What tools did you use to modify it? What did you use after getting it to the shape you wanted to make the plastic smooth and shiny? Thanks in advance.

Same thing I did with the loading port. Hand files to get the shape, followed by sandpaper. You don't need to go very fine or it will be really shiny and look funny. No problem man.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice looking....I need to take the leap and do this to my 1301!

I took a deep breath before I started. My wife asked me why I was ruining my $1100 shotgun. After showing her the finished result she said "that's pretty".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol nice job

Got yah, I really like what you did with the handguard. Hey man check this video out and fast forward to 3:15 in the video so you can see what i was talking about with the dremmel. This video was taking right after I did my 930. If you do what i did with the dremmel your port will be a smooth as glass and shiny like chrome.

So I guess the quest is, how much do you charge....hahaha

Got yah, I really like what you did with the handguard. Hey man check this video out and fast forward to 3:15 in the video so you can see what i was talking about with the dremmel. This video was taking right after I did my 930. If you do what i did with the dremmel your port will be a smooth as glass and shiny like chrome.

So I guess the quest is, how much do you charge....hahaha

LOL, man you can do this on your own just take your time and it will look great here is a vid showing how I opened up the loading port on my Stoeger M3000. It is a little long but it shows you all the important steps.... Whats up Hysupra? :)

Edited by Oskino