Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Loading port work and welded lifter

hysupra

I like it and have no regrets, the edge on the trigger guard was a sharp 90 and at times was irritating me. Now everything has a nice bevel and really smooth.

I did the same to mine, I just didn't do as much or put the grove in.the middle. Might have to go back and do that too. I found, since the JM load port is short, that my shell rims were hitting the trigger guard once I started loading quads. Smoothing out the edge helped.

I think now I need to open up the front of the port a little more to really make quads easy.

Yah doing the trigger assembly def is a plus, I been trying the quads and now the hand guard gets in the way. I have not modded it at all,Nickoli have you modded your hand guard?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why yes I did, I trimmed it down so now it looks more like a M2 hand guard. Only problem I had after doing that is it did not fit flush with the receiver and actually took a chunk of my hand. So I got some JB weld and and put it on the inside of the hand guard so it would tighten up against the receiver.

Why yes I did, I trimmed it down so now it looks more like a M2 hand guard. Only problem I had after doing that is it did not fit flush with the receiver and actually took a chunk of my hand. So I got some JB weld and and put it on the inside of the hand guard so it would tighten up against the receiver.

Nickoli, could you up a photo? Curious to see wat you did. When I welded my lifter I just filled in the fork, if I do it again to a friends shotty I would try to fab a piece then weld it in. It's really not the hard if you have the right tools and are somewhat mechanically enclined. If it turns out bad you only have yourself to blame.

Ya it's a total PITA I went through 3 drill bits doing it. But it works very well and was worth it.

I think I'm going to do the trigger guard tonight for shits and giggles. It's never bothered me and I can load 8 in 3.5 secs right now. So we shall see. I'm putting an arreondo speed loader assist on soon so it's really pointless I think.

No problem man, looks good. You'll love how it feeds quads now.

Do you have a good tap set for the release? Home Depot had the right drill bit. You need a cobalt drill bit and get 3 of them. Also annealing the release first helped a lot. I did it twice actually.

Heat it with a torch (removed from receiver of course) until it is glowing a light, translucent reddish orange (cherry red is not necessary) then bury it in sand. Turn the lights off so you can see the color change through your lenses, use a light shade (like for brazing, not what you would use for arc welding). You can get away with good sunglasses if your welding goggles are too dark, as you aren't heating to welding temps. Lime can be subbed for sand, but you need to put it in a substance that will slow the rate of cooling without the risk of catching fire at 1600+ degrees. Let it cool til room temp, then do it again. That is how I soften up the body of mini-14 triggers so I can drill and tap for adjustment screws, and they are about 55RC on the surface before annealing. If you use a fine nozzle tip you can focus the heat only on the top of the button and not soften up the whole thing

Horrible pics but it should get the point across. I wasn't, and im still not happy with the fit to the receiver. Even after using JB weld to tighten it up and using my heat gun to try and form it better it still is not how i would like it to be, but it works. After thus season I hope to make this a backup gun anyways.

In the second pic, you can some what see how my port is opened up. I made more of a tear drop shape on the side of the receiver for my thumb to ride across for loading quads strong hand. That way I dont have to try and keep my thumb at more of a 90 degree angle to the receiver to get the shells past the catch, now my thumb it at about a 30-40 degree angle.

post-49048-0-48233100-1389505880_thumb.j

post-49048-0-61398400-1389505907_thumb.j

Edited by Nickoli

WTF Nickoli how can you get that any better? Looks like an m2 now.

My only concern would be messing up the rails on the inside of the forearm.

And what did you jb weld?

Edited by hysupra

I applied it to the inside on the rails. It seems to be holding up Well, i only have about 100 shells through it since getting it to fit correctly.

Rather than fill in the gap, i wanted to pull it closer to the receiver and try to blend it together as much as I could after removing part of my hand on it prior to fitting it flush.

post-49048-0-47718700-1389580443_thumb.j

Edited by Nickoli

I applied it to the inside on the rails. It seems to be holding up Well, i only have about 100 shells through it since getting it to fit correctly.

Rather than fill in the gap, i wanted to pull it closer to the receiver and try to blend it together as much as I could after removing part of my hand on it prior to fitting it flush.

Man that is thinking outside of the box, I like it and plan on doing the same. thanks for the ideas guys. Hysupra,Nickoli and Bullitt McQueen.

Hysupra, you were right what a PITA to install the TTI bolt release. Your probably not going to believe this, but no annealing and only had to use 1 drill bit and a Harbor Freight one at that 3/32. :D Here are some photos.

post-51323-0-04321900-1389924942_thumb.j

post-51323-0-36356300-1389925199_thumb.j

post-51323-0-70408800-1389925209_thumb.j

Oskino your a lucky rat bastard. lol My problem now is it sometimes it rotates under really fast reloads. Ive torqued it twice and I don't want to strip out the little threads it has. Might try a glue under it on the button itself.

JD that looks sweet. The forearm looks perfect as well.

Edited by hysupra

Ok so I was practicing loading drills last night and the bolt release rotated to the point the charging handle would hit it. So I torqued it down some more and of course it stripped a tinny bit. So I put some red locktite on the bolt and all over the checkered part of the button. Seems to be holding up great. Shot about 200 rounds today, buck, bird, and slugs and it didn't move.

Ok so I was practicing loading drills last night and the bolt release rotated to the point the charging handle would hit it. So I torqued it down some more and of course it stripped a tinny bit. So I put some red locktite on the bolt and all over the checkered part of the button. Seems to be holding up great. Shot about 200 rounds today, buck, bird, and slugs and it didn't move.

Yah man I am noticing the same thing on mine, I have not applied any loctite yet but am going to.