Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How young... Is too young?

Shrek926

If she is getting the safety side of things and can practice with you on movement with the gun, gun manipulation and reloads I say go for it. If she isn't a good mover take her to a Steel match like UncleTK said. I've started my kids (5 and 2) out with the basics. Every time I take a gun out of the safe and they are around I go through safety with them. It has to be simple especially for the little guy, but he listens. Even when I tell him to keep his finger off the trigger, which seems to be a natural reaction for kids to reach for. I can't wait to get them out shooting.

I think 8 is a great age for safe and mature kids to start shooting steel challenge style matches, where everything is done from a static position where the adult supervisor can stand close and physically control the situation if necessary. But 8 is too young for disciplines where the competitor draws the gun from a holster and moves through the stage, like USPSA or IDPA. No matter how good a kid you might have, an 8-year-old has simply not yet developed the judgment necessary for those games.

My son began shooting at a very young age, but I did not encourage him (and he did not ask) to compete in IDPA and USPSA matches until he was 11 or 12. By then he was ready.

My position on this is well staked out here on BE. Invariably, somebody will now post Youtube clips of some 5-year-old in the Philippines struggling and flinching his way horribly through an IPSC match, and point out how cute it is. Most of us will cringe.

Here's the bottom line--if you take an 8-year-old to a USPSA match, you will be making some people very uncomfortable. Some might say something to you (hopefully not to the kid), and some will not. If you keep attending and shooting with your 8-year-old, you may notice that some other people stop attending those matches--that's because they are uncomfortable with the idea of trusting a small child with that level of deadly responsibility. They also know it won't be long before they can return to the matches, because kids who are way over their head quickly become discouraged and decide to quit. Most of them never come back to it, and frankly, it's the adult who pushed them too hard, too soon, who are to blame for that.

I know this is blunt. No offense is intended toward anyone.

I agree with you Mike. Thanks for the post.

I have had to remove several children under the age of 10 from competition. They were not ready and their fathers either allowed or forced them. Had one that was actually violating several basic concepts and then told the ROs it had been approved, NOT. Allowing kids too young or immature, to shoot is, IMHO, negligence. The problem lies in that determination. Some people think their kids are the best thing since sliced bread and usually those are the problem children. As with many things "kid" related, it is usually the parents. Used to be, in shooting, that was not a big issue. But more and more, the standard of responsibility has slipped.

Heck, read some of the "rules" arguments and bickering about DQs that occurs.

• 3 months later...

If you are comfortable in her level of safety shooting a COF similar to a match COF then it should be worth allowing her to try. Maybe bring a good friend and get a second opinion before bringing her to s mstch.

really not something that can be judged by the "age" but something to be judged by maturity and the level of respect for responsibilities in my honest opinion

This X1000

Anyone who sets it at a certain age is kidding themselves. I've seen Adults in their 20's and 30's who had no business at a match becasue their safety was poor and their attitude was crap. They were asked to leave.

If the child is 5, 8 or 15 and can handle the gun safely and had the maturity go for it. Don't push them into it though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They also know it won't be long before they can return to the matches, because kids who are way over their head quickly become discouraged and decide to quit. Most of them never come back to it, and frankly, it's the adult who pushed them too hard, too soon, who are to blame for that.

Lots of parents do this across all activities. T-ball, piano lessons, swimming, whatever. I don't see the point in it, it only causes the kid to hate the activity that the parent wants them to love and causes way too much stress at an age that should be stress free. Music lessons is one thing, but you put that kind of stress on a kid that has a deadly weapon, and it wouldn't be something that I would be cool with. I'm perfectly fine with younger kids shooting in general with direct supervision but not with a parent pushing them into action sports. Personally I think they should start with stuff like trap to get used to range commands, basic safety issues, performance anxiety, etc.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

A great thread, guys.

Thanks.

I've got a "rental" 5 year old who really likes picking up brass at the range and he's thinking that the .22 sitting back at my house may have his name on it in the very near future.

AD