Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed, from where does it come?

midvalleyshooter

Let me preface my question with some info about my perspective. I have been a shooter for a few years. i have shot some NRA action, PPC (not an LEO), IPSC, SASS and IDPA, mostly on the local club scene.

I remember in the past the common thoughts were: "Be smooth, rid yourself of wasted motion and the speed will come". Then more recently I have heard: "Just where is the speed going to come from? You have to go for break out runs at full speed, pushing your limitations to get faster".

So which is it in your mind?

1) Be smooth and let the speed come.

2) Go fast, eventually your eyes will learn to catch up.

Keith

Midvalleyshooter,

Here is the trick, as told to me by the 1st OPEN and Limited GM in Mississippi...

When you go shoot a match, shoot in controll and smoothly.

When practicing, start in control, work faster until you are out of your comfort level and obviously out of control and then go back in control but right on the edge, then back out of control (this is a long serious practice not a 50-100 round touchup) and then back in control on the edge again.

What will happen is the "edge of out of control" will be more noticeable and it will aslo get to a faster pace to where you will be gaining speed all the while the eyes are learning to run with the hands too. then you will be able to see faster and thus shoot faster.

Good luck

Hopalong

Speed comes from a lack of hesitation. ISPC speed comes from knowing which sight picture is apropriate for each shot and knowing which sight picture for each shot you take and being able to force yourself to wait for the appropriate sight picture on each shot.

If you vary the distance on your targets in practice, you will quickly learn what this means.

I kind of watered down the statement by Loves2Shoot into:

ISPC speed comes from knowing which sight picture is appropriate for each shot and being able to force yourself to wait for the appropriate sight picture on each shot.

I may write this on my arm before each match as it accurately describes what I fail to do most of the time, especially if I haven't been shooting many matches lately. I'm definitely going to print it, laminate it, and attach it to my shooting bag where it can't be missed. I thank Loves2Shoot for stating this in a way that my brain understands at a time when it's listening.

I have much better shooting skills than my mental failures let show through. I can clean a Texas star at 15 - 20 yards with hardly ever a miss, yet I can miss a freaking metric target at 5 yards without knowing I did it. I shot 6 Chickens so poorly last month that I should have been smacked :(

I'm going to pull my laminated card out before each stage and read the damn thing until I managed to burn this information into my thick head. Shooting like some kind of doofus WILL END starting with my practice session tomorrow!

Keith,

I have to agree with Loves2shoot and JFD,

You can't shoot, what you can't see...... but you must know how to get there first.

I used to think that getting faster meant getting my splits faster but I was wrong. I saw a video of myself and I saw a lot of things that I was doing wrong. I was taking forever to get from one shooting position to the next and I don't mean walking versus running. I saw myself shooting from box A and then stopping to make sure I had all my hits on the targets before I went to box B. When I finally got to box B, it took me forever to set up to take my first shot.

I also found out that the dry and live fire practice I was doing was a waste of time. I was not working on the things that I needed to work on to make me faster. I was just working on making bad habits. The person that helped me change my bad habits was a GM named Steve Anderson. We talked about what he did to make GM in one year and his dry fire routine was completely different than mine. He gave me a few pointers and he also told me about his dry fire book. Andersonshooting Once I got his book, my game improved 100%. I was "C" class in open six months ago. Now I am less than a percent away from "A" class. I also took 3rd "B" at the nationals this year.

For me, knowing how to get in and get out faster, helped me speed up and helped build my confidence, in me and my gun. Which also helped me call my shots better. Knowing what to practice will go a long way.

That was my dime,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a lesson that I hope may apply here. When learning autocross, there's a similar question "how do I drive fast". I heard people talk about focus on smoothness; I did but didn't improve my times as quickly as I wanted. Obviously, something was missing about focusing on smoothness.

By riding in a car with a champion driver while he drove at his race speed I found out what was missing; aggression. The champion driver was phemonenally aggressive. He was as aggressive as he could be at all times and he was smooth while doing it. Obviously, he had learned to balance the right amount of aggressiveness and smoothness.

Hope this helps. It seems to me that it translates fairly well to shooting in my mind; I can't say I've done it, though. I'm new to the IPSC game.

I have something that is pretty simple.....And yes thats the way I like it. Riddle me this Batman? Where your head goes your body will follow! Hence get your head both physical and mental moving, And your body and feet will catch up. Thats why cats are so quick! ;)

Ivan

:P SPEED :rolleyes: =

S-----Smooth actions, fast actions from relaxation but not from tight muscles

P----- Plan the stage better,run less and fewer positions to shoot more

E-----Executing in your training reflexes, your daily x 1000 draws, reloads.........

E-----Envoting the type of visions you need for different type of targets

D-----Decrease Dwell time, less wasting actions, always at shooting ready in or out at shooting positions

All the above you can find on Brian's book :lol:

There is no catching up by the eye.. the eye is powered by light- it is faster!! It sees everything but it focuses on what you tell it to focus on.. if you don't tell it to focus on the shooting, then it won't!!...when you develop the link between establishing the proper intention and your skills then you will shoot faster since your inner eye will direct the shooting for you..free of thoughts, free of doubt, free of hesitation..

So questions to ask yourself and you have to be brutally honest with yourself (tough love):

1. Where is my skill level at?

2. Am I practising often enough and cultivating good habits?

3. What are my intentions when I shoot?? e.g. is it to avoid shooting the no-shoot or to shoot the A!!

4. What is my mental state in terms of strength, stamina and focus?

:ph34r:

• 8 months later...

This is a great topic. I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Theres some great post and great info but I want to add the speed can also come from confidence, I think someone said no hestitation. When your confident you just do it, no thinking about it, just shoot the darn target in the A zone.

Flyin40