Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"bump" just as slide closes 2011

eric nielsen

Like the title says the new top end on my STI open gun has a noticeble "bump" in the last 1/4" of forward travel on its way to locking up. This is with no ammo, no mag, even. May have caused a few malfunctions this week that I thought were ammo issues (crimp or rough 38 Super case rims).

Thinking this might be due to a barrel link that is just a little too long? Maybe the link holes have stretched as the new parts have worn in? Looking for gunsmith opinions, thanks.

I think al503 got it. Cleaned the barrel really well and noticed wear on the bottom lug that rides the slide stop on either side of the link. Link was peened in place too well to remove/replace it before the Tues nite match so I tried my 2 spare slide stops.

The new one that has not been shot has a bigger OD and is perfectly round, it seemed to make the bumping worse, like a scraping sensation. The older spare seemed to make the problem go away at least for now. I put plenty of oil around every reciprocating part, no Slide Glide (yet) as the gun seems to object to that after dirtying up with 400-600 rounds, it shot w/zero problems at the nite match. All this makes me think I need a slightly longer link and some more new slide stops.

Edited by eric nielsen

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exact same thing happen to me recently when I put a new slide stop in my Edge. I was afraid to shoot it, and tried a different new slide stop that ended up working just fine. I measured the OD of the old to new slide stop, with the new being 0.03 of an inch wider,