Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polish FP and FPB to improve ignition?

GunslingerDK

Im having light strikes on one of my stock 2's. Both Guns are set up the same: xtreme firing pin, xtreme hammer and a Wolff 16lbs hammer spring. One of the guns has more FTI than i like. When pressing the FP with a punch there is more resistance than with the other gun. Would it help to polish the pin? What about the FPB, is there something i can do to that to ensure more constant ignition?

I had a similar issue on a Witness P I had, so I took the stock firing pin, chucked it up in my Idaho Lathe (aka drill) and polished the crap out of it with 2000 grit paper. I then ran a ceramic stone on the flat part where the FP block rides against (2000 grit paper would work fine for this too). Then I took the "hook" down on the FP block by about .010" because I could see it was hitting slightly on the firing pin. I then took a dremel "grey wheel" to the part of the FP block that rides on the firing pin.

Now it has the deepest primer strikes of any of my guns, running a reduced power spring and the stock firing pin.

If you're going to cut coils I suggest winding the cut coils back into the spring before installing it again. The problem you run into with a cut spring is that when you dry fire on an empty chamber the pin travels forward too far and gets wedged in the breech face. If never seen EG's pin so it might be less susceptible to this than my own (trimmed large frame pin in small frame slide).

I have a lot of FP springs since they come with the Wolff recoil springs so will try and cut it to see if it helps.

Not long ago I read a thread in here where someone mentioned that the Xtreme FP does not work so well with a polished FPB, as the factory pin does. If this is true I cannot understand why it shouldn't? I can't see why an unpolished part would work better than a polished one. Can anyone confirm this?

• 1 month later...

What it is is this..the xtreme pin imho..needs to be fitted to the block. Might work as a drop in piece, might not.

A good way to test is to remove the slide and press the pin from the rear. It should move freely. If in encounters resistance you need to find out why. I have removed the block on my open gun and had done so as well with my standard/ limited gun. I have a p19L in .40 coming...base model. it happens to be a small frame .40. I have enough spare parts to smooth it out. I will be using the Henning firing pin or the Egw, factory aluminum grips and either Eric mag pads or Hennings.

Might even use Bens pads if he ever makes small frame ones

I just saw recently that Matt Hopkins was using Ben's (Shock bottle) base pads on his CZ mags. My guess is that you won't have to wait long.

The Magtech primers are significantly harder than the Federal primers. Using harder primers will require a stiffer hammer spring to set them off.

If you are going to remove the firing pin block then simply ditch the stock firing pin and go with an extended one like the Henning XL Firing Pin. Using an extended firing pin will ensure solid primer hits on most primers using pretty soft hammer springs.

GunslingerDK- Please forgive the thread hijacking:

But does anyone know how the Win. small pistol primers compare for hardness to the Magtech ones? I like that the Win. primers take up so much less space than the Federals in my small reloading space and also that they lay flat in the factory packaging (instead of being on edge) which makes getting them into the primer feeding tubes easier than the Federals. Thanks.

From my experience with the magtech, they are similar to CCI from a hardness perspective. I would also agree with the Wolff> CCI> Winchester> Federal from hardest to softest rating.

I use Winchester Small Pistol Primers exclusively right now, but have shot a bunch of CCI and about 10K of magtech.

I had similar problem with my Match. It was finally resolved by removing FB and running a Henning XL. I too was running reloads with Rem primers. This beeing said I only use mine for fun, not carry so the absense of FB doesn't concern me. But you need to consider you use when making this mod.