Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Incompatibility

EricW

Am I the only person that thinks comp'ed ARs blow chunks? I just had my rifle done - and for the life of me - I cannot see the appeal. Every goddamed time I pull the trigger, the target vanishes behind a white sheet of haze. I even specifically bought a comp with no top ports because this was a phenomenon I noticed on other people's rifles.

Not only can I not discern any improvement in sight tracking, I'm pretty certain it's worse, a LOT worse. Screw this comp stuff. I'd rather actually *see* my crosshairs bob a little on the target than see my crosshairs wildly jump across a sheet of nothingness. Somebody is going to have to show me something pretty f'ing spectacular before I'd never waste my money comping a .223 again.

I know that all the GM's used comped rifles and I'm going to be called an ignoramus for not buying into the cult of comp, but I'm gonna call "Voodoo" on this one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm, sumthin’ wrong there.

Even on loose sand and silty playa I have never seen what you describe unless I was shooting at a steep cant while prone and the sideblast was throwing up dust.

I have three different brake designs on my AR‘s and one even has top blowholes, but I never see any visual disturbance unless it’s kicking up dust that you are speaking of.

BTW, all of my AR muzzle brakes provide a quite noticeable reduction of physical sight disturbance. Hmmm.

--

Regards,

Lyc,

My deal is, that I could watch my crosshairs fine with no comp at all. All the horsesh*t salesmanship I heard is that my crosshairs would sit almost rock steady.

Geo,

No dust. All smoke/H20 vapor off the comp. NONE of which I ever saw sans break.

How many shots did you take?  Maybe it was just the oil/lube/cleaner residue that was on the gun after you cleaned it?

I don't see any of that stuff when shooting my comped AR.

2 full mags worth. I haven't cleaned my barrel for at least 700 rounds.

I've shot uncomped, A2 flash suppressor, Bennie Colley brake, JP tank brake. I love the comps. Sights still jump but the target never leaves the FOV of the scope. Never had a problem with smoke. Dust only when shooting my circumferentially ported .300 RUM without a car mat under the muzzle.

What type of ammo?

What type of ammo?

Reloads with WSR primers and H322. The exact same load I've shot a gazillion times before cloudlessly. Are you guys sure you aren't blinking? Because I swear on Chief Joseph's grave that the entire target is obscured every time I pull the trigger with this stupid comp.

Geo,

There is no doubt that there is bolt impulse, but my point is that with the comp, reticle movement is 1.5 to 2X *worse* than sans comp.

Eric

(Who is struck by the irony that he will have to buy a strap wrench to remove the glorified d**do from his rifle.)

Sounds like something is screwy to me.

Both of the rifles I have with comps are a lot easier to shoot fast compared to their bare barrels before. One is a Colt 16" HBAR with a Smith Ent. comp, and the other is a Bushmaster Superlight Carbine with a KKF A2 TakBrake.

Both of the rifles I have with comps are a lot easier to shoot fast compared to their bare barrels before. One is a Colt 16" HBAR with a Smith Ent. comp, and the other is a Bushmaster Superlight Carbine with a KKF A2 TakBrake.

I have a 20" HBar. On a 6 lb, 16" gun with a pencil thin bbl, adding a comp is probably like finding the Holy Grail.

I have never experience anything like you describe from my gun and as a side note a machinist buddy of mine is tinkering with comp design so I have also shot about 15-18 different comps this year as well.

Maybe its a tumor? :P

I was anti-comp for a while until I shot a borrowed Limited rifle with a JP Cooley comp. A little better shot-to-shot, but no white clouds. Picked up a Cooley comp from a prize table, had BrianH put it on, and no white clouds. And this is iron sights, with my focus two feet from my nose, near the muzzle.

Odd.

So I don't talk about the F2 Comp (best Limited-legal comp I've ever shot, ask me about it ;) ), I'll mention my full-blown Open AR15 with a JP "Tank Brake". Running off a bipod, I have no trouble triple tapping steel at 200 yards...and hearing the three "thwacks" after the last shot is fired. ("bang bang bang...thwack thwack thuack"). I can get four on a good day, but I suck so I can't do that on demand.

I can't play that game (which amuses me and pisses off the boring old fogey benchrest "shoot one shot and eat a sandwich, then wait for the Earth's magnetic field to line back up, make another sandwich, go into town for mustard, then shoot another shot" crowd) with a GI-flash hider gun, even with similar optics and support.

Comps are loud, just pure obnoxious on the hoof, and spray stuff 10 feet on either side of the muzzle. But they sure make hosing easy B)

AlexIcandothreeat200withaF2CompaskmeaboutitWakal

yea sounds like major problems, I've shot comped and non-comped AR's side by side and oh yea you can feel the difference.all mine and my wifes have a varity of comp's on them , ASA, CAV comp, miculak, etc; and find them all to be very effective. don't enjoy shooting an AR without them because I can watch my hits if I need to

The comp:

comp.jpg

I actually fired one of these before I bought it and it worked as advertised. It was on a 16" bbl, however. Comping a 20" heavy barrel appears to be a dubious proposition at best. The gas pressure at the muzzle of a 20" bbl is probably dramatically less than out of a 16, so I may simply need a lot more comp for it to be effective.

Hey, Alex... what's an F2 comp? :D

300#,

If you really didn't see it, here it is...

Fredcomp_1.JPG

Fredcomp_2.JPG

Fredcomp_3.JPG

Fredcomp_4.JPG

The comp works really well. I don't move. The rifle doesn't move. Great stuff, considering my rifle weighs a mere 7.5 pounds and I only weigh...well, a girl just doesn't reveal that. ;) Suffice to say, I tend to move a lot with recoil.

Liota

Eric, that is a pitiful excuse for a comp and I can understand why you are not happy. Not enough baffle surface ;)

In order of effectiveness (based on my club's testing):

JP "Tank Brake"

F2 Comp

JP "Cooley Comp"

Triangle Comp

Miculek Comp

Try something that works :)

A

Alex,

Unfortunately, it's exactly what I *thought* I wanted. I don't like long barrels on AR's, so I ignorantly thought stubby was the way to go. I'd buy your comp, but I think I'm just going to go compless because of the "white-out" issues. I wish I had a real lathe because then I'd give a plain, tungsten sleeve a go.