Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA recommendations....

SD1

For any weather I like the Redhead vests that Basspro sells. Lightweight and cheap ($30), easy to sweep out of the way.

A stiffer material is helpful, but becomes less critical by practicing a lot with the concealment garment that you have. In other words, guys with $125 stiff vests won't see a gain over shooters with $30 vests if both of them practice equally, in my opinion.

I disagree. I like a stuff sided vest as it doesn't tend to get all caught up in the draw and get sucked in around things. With that said I don't dryfire IDPA much so my draw and reloads from concealment suck.

As far as the hot weather part is concerned I never understood this question. I mean your shooting what 2-3 minutes a match...take it off in between lol

Depending on how hot it is, it makes a world of difference. Had a few matches this year, level 1 of course, where concealment was optional because of the heat.

I picked up a used 5.11 vest I found on craigslist. Was worn maybe 3 times. I like that the base feels loaded and it helps to get a clean sweep away from the gun when drawing and holstering.

Take a look at Armadillo Concealment. Purpose build for IDPA. Lot of the shooters in my area are sporting these.

Edited by v1911

I think if frugality is appropriate in any one place in the entire world of competitive shooting, it is the silly fishing vests.

Goodwill stores need love too, so my advice is to grab any old thing that swings free & feels warm/cool (i.e. buy two) off the shelfs. I'd personally go with something blues brothers for cool weather and something very similar with arms cut off for when it is hot.

I disagree. I like a stuff sided vest as it doesn't tend to get all caught up in the draw and get sucked in around things. With that said I don't dryfire IDPA much so my draw and reloads from concealment suck.

As far as the hot weather part is concerned I never understood this question. I mean your shooting what 2-3 minutes a match...take it off in between lol

Sheesh....a guy DC's some IDPA major and all the sudden becomes an authority on vests :goof:

• 3 weeks later...

I made master in IDPA shooting with one of the goofy 5.11 vests, which I actually kind of like. I like the heavier material because it's less likely to flex and get caught when you sweep it on the draw, and a lot of my friends starch the heck out of their vests before major matches to enhance that.

That being said, the armadillo vests are really nice, especially with the mesh back. There's another shop outside of Houston called competitive concealment that also makes custom vests (http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/) and the people that I know who run them really like them too. I think they're a little lighter weight than the armadillos.

I bought the 5.11 heavy black vest a long time ago when I lived in a colder place. Little warm for Florida but I only wear it when I'm actually shooting and the heavy material sweeps good. I think they make a lighter weight one now in rip stop instead of canvas. I think Woolrich also still makes a rip stop light weight version too. If I bought a new one today it would be rip stop and not black.

I made master in IDPA shooting with one of the goofy 5.11 vests, which I actually kind of like. I like the heavier material because it's less likely to flex and get caught when you sweep it on the draw, and a lot of my friends starch the heck out of their vests before major matches to enhance that.

That being said, the armadillo vests are really nice, especially with the mesh back. There's another shop outside of Houston called competitive concealment that also makes custom vests (http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/) and the people that I know who run them really like them too. I think they're a little lighter weight than the armadillos.

I could just see some dude at a local match getting all bent outta shape over the brand name. I get looks with my 'dillo vest.

I could just see some dude at a local match getting all bent outta shape over the brand name. I get looks with my 'dillo vest.

If offending people who take themselves too seriously at local matches bothered me, I'd get a lot less shooting in...

Be careful choosing your vest.. Nothing wrong asking a few shooters at the next match to try their vest on.. If you are in just for shooting a match now and then,just about anything will work. Going all out for the win every week,a good vest along with other good equipment will make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...