Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring combo that necessitate Fed primers?

Nimitz

I know that I could put a lighter hammer spring & reduced power trigger return spring in the SP01 Shadow that is being built for me to reduce the DA pull weight some more but I'm wondering at what point would I be in the realm of only using Fed 100s?

I like the idea of reducing DA pull weight but do not want to get into where I am with my G34 that I must use Fed 100s since they are expensive and really hard to get.

The gun will come with a 13# hammer spring and trigger return spring from CZC plus the extended firing pin.

My Shadow ran Winchester and CCI primers (no light strikes) with a stock firing pin, CGW reduced power FP spring and 11.5# hammer spring. Combined with a CGW trigger return spring and CZ race hammer it had a 5.5# DA and sub 2# SA.

I think the polishing is just as important as the springs in preventing light strikes with light triggers.

My setup and results matched up with Atlas's. I've since added a CGW extended FP. As long as I pay attention to primer seating I have zero issues with the newer brass colored Tula SP's. Good thing as it looks like I'll be getting some more from a couple of friends that had no luck in their plastic, striker type guns.

ok, cool. I tried Tulas in my G34 with lightened striker & spring and extended FP and still have 7-9 light strikes out of the first box of 100 I tried ...

Your G34 is a G34, not a CZ. They are markedly different systems.

IF you feel like you want to go to the CGW 8.5lb spring you're going to NEED to run federals and the extended pin.

Anything in the 11.5 and 13lb range is going to be good to go with the harder primers but you MUST seat them extremely well.

For peace of mind, i would strongly suggest sticking with the 13 for the tula primers. I run 11.5's and have ignited EVERYTHING ive put through it minus factory tula ammo. With my own reloads using CCI primers i have had a few light strikes but i am still working through this to see if my primer seating depth was off.

I would only be using Tulas for practice ammo so some light strikes are tolerable. I use Winchester in my G34 for practice right now and get 2-3 per 500 which is fine. For match ammo the only primers that light 100% with a lightened striker are Feds. Given the cost difference for Tulas at 25,000/yr the cost savings are significant. I'll probably play around with the 11.5# spring and see if I notice a significant pull weight

Anything lighter than a 13# MS makes the hammer feel like it takes forever to fall and makes the DA pull feel really weird. I left mine just as it came from Mink (Automatic Accuracy) and I fire Tula's just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had an 11-ish lb spring with extended fp. it felt light, but i didn't shoot it any better than the 13lb spring, and I had a couple light strikes (on cci primers) out of every 100 rounds. I'm sure those were poorly seated primers, but I went back to the 13lb spring and just stopped worrying about it. It didn't appear to have any effect whatsoever on my first-shot time or accuracy.

Thx for all the inputs. As with my G34 I had to play around with spring combos to get it right so I suspect I'll be trying the lighter springs just to see. If Feds were to become mandatory with a certain spring combo that would make the decision easy as I don't want to have that req't any more ...

according to CZC their shipment of pistols arrives this week which means they should be able to clear out all their custom orders by the end of Nov ... not too much longer to wait ...

Thx for all the inputs. As with my G34 I had to play around with spring combos to get it right so I suspect I'll be trying the lighter springs just to see. If Feds were to become mandatory with a certain spring combo that would make the decision easy as I don't want to have that req't any more ...

according to CZC their shipment of pistols arrives this week which means they should be able to clear out all their custom orders by the end of Nov ... not too much longer to wait ...

I think your statement should read "according to CZC a shipment of pistols arrives this week which means they should be able to clear out some of their custom orders by the end of Nov ... not too much longer to wait for a few lucky people ..."

I understand it's a very long waiting list.