Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9grs of HS-6 is giving me 200PF?!

DrLove

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should seriously consider reading a loading manual and doing more research than "several people told me"...

Well, the previous owner of the gun I used and the load data on this site said 9grs :) Anyway, now I have a load if USPSA changes major to 200 :):)

if you make it till then.

HS-6 Lot 2219 I use 9.3 grains with a 124. This is a very slow lot. Probably what happened the previous owner had that lot or told you to use a 115. New lot back to old burn rate.

this is why i ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS drop my charge and chrony when i open a new jug of powder. My chrony results where crazy with lot 2219... 8.4 grains = 155 pf or something.

HOWEVER i wish hogdon would make this mistake again... call it hs6.5

I usually use 8.6 grains hs6 at 1.165 with a 124 jhp for 173-5 pf

i suggest reading this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147730&hl=+mat%20+price

Edited by Mat Price

so maybe I have a crazy lot then. So I've loaded some with 8 grains only and I'm still getting a PF of 180. This is again 124 CMJs, same OAL, with a shortie. very weird but I'm going to go down to 7.5grains.

Just like I posted before, I said you should have started around 7.5 and you would have been in a better position to work up. Let us know how it works out...

Also, why don't you go out a little further, like 1.165-1.170? Thats the most common range for that bullet with that load with that platform. It's not just for pressure, it's also for feeding reliability.

Just like I posted before, I said you should have started around 7.5 and you would have been in a better position to work up. Let us know how it works out...

Also, why don't you go out a little further, like 1.165-1.170? Thats the most common range for that bullet with that load with that platform. It's not just for pressure, it's also for feeding reliability.

so that's a good question. Somehow I"m using this EGW chamber checker and anything longer than that won't fit. I just wanted to be on the safe side. How do you guys check that for longer loads?

In the bbl. Best chamber gauge made is the one you will be firing the round in. Drop the finished round in the chamber give a light tap with your finger if the round s falls out with no resistance and is in the chamber all the way when you turn the barrel over its good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

In the bbl. Best chamber gauge made is the one you will be firing the round in. Drop the finished round in the chamber give a light tap with your finger if the round s falls out with no resistance and is in the chamber all the way when you turn the barrel over its good

so for 38S I've never needed the barrel since the EGW works fine. I hate to just check round by round in the bbl. Any other ideas?

Why would you feel more comfortable checking your rounds in a chamber gauge that in the actual chamber in which you plan to fire the rounds?

By all means if you have an OAL which feeds reliably stitch to it; I'm just curious.

No I mean it's more hectic to check round by round. I have this 50rnd thing I got from a friend, it's kind of faster...

You measure the OAL. The OAL for using STI mags in 9 Major should be 1.165. You get minor variances in OAL with different headstamp brass.

That barrel will run 1.165 with issue.

so you're saying I"m loading too short and I should go longer? did you measure round by round in the bbl when you loaded?

Edited by DrLove

I'm thinking you really need to read a reloading manual. Set your seating so that it seats the rounds at 1.165 after you Liam say 300 rounds remove your bbl and chamber check them

so the problem now Matt is that no reloading manual will tell me how "this specific" gun will function. I kind of trust the "original owner" more on this (above) :).

It's simple load the ammo as long as you can and still feed reliably. This gives you more room in the case for powder. Higher charge to make the same power factor at the same pressure is good. More gas to run the comp

DRLOVE, What I do is use my barrel when developing loads. I make sure they are not too long, drop in and out freely etc. Then start using your gauge. If a round fails the gauge then drop it in the barrel. If it goes you know that failed rounds can be used for practice since they likely will chamber OK. For awhile check all rounds that pass the gauge by dropping them in the barrel as well. What you want to ultimately prove is that anything that passes your gauge will pass the barrel test then you can quit using the barrel and just use the 50 round checker. You may have to glue some spacers under the 50 round gizmo to get it up off the table so your long 9MAJOR rounds will go all the way in without bottoming out.

This is why I just use a single round gauge. I can hold it in my hand.

Hope this made sense.

DRLOVE, What I do is use my barrel when developing loads. I make sure they are not too long, drop in and out freely etc. Then start using your gauge. If a round fails the gauge then drop it in the barrel. If it goes you know that failed rounds can be used for practice since they likely will chamber OK. For awhile check all rounds that pass the gauge by dropping them in the barrel as well. What you want to ultimately prove is that anything that passes your gauge will pass the barrel test then you can quit using the barrel and just use the 50 round checker. You may have to glue some spacers under the 50 round gizmo to get it up off the table so your long 9MAJOR rounds will go all the way in without bottoming out.

This is why I just use a single round gauge. I can hold it in my hand.

Hope this made sense.

Thanks Sarge, this is useful, I'll try it.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you tumbling loaded rounds? Are you running the chrono after a long hot match? Have you rechecked your OAL after racking them into your chamber a few times (checked for set-back)?

What on earth does tumbling the rounds have to do with anything? I think you may have some bad info.

I don't think you can get a 124 to 1650 with 9 grains out of a shorty.

I just did.

The cases were pretty full with 9grs but I did weight the bullets, 124 it is.

Anyway, I"ll reduce and chrono again. I don't think the chrono is an issue

You are lucky you did not blow yourself up.

I will go 115 at 8.5 and go from there.

I think you just might be starting to understand what everyone here has told you very nicely, but I'm not positive, so let me start from scratch.

Loading 9mm major is dangerous :surprise:

You can get hurt unless you follow the rules of loading 9mm major :ph34r:

The rules are simple :excl:

You NEVER just throw together a major load that you have heard will give you PF 170 or 175.

You start at least 0.5 grains lower than you've confirmed and test that thru a chrono, and work uP. Slowly.

And yes, you should try a little longer OAL if it fits thru your mags/chamber. 1.16 - 1.17 is a little safer,

especially if you have a full case. :cheers:

Are you tumbling loaded rounds? Are you running the chrono after a long hot match? Have you rechecked your OAL after racking them into your chamber a few times (checked for set-back)?

What on earth does tumbling the rounds have to do with anything? I think you may have some bad info.

Some believe there is evidence that excessive tumbling can pulverize powder and change it's characteristics

It's been talked about here in the past..