Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Edge FTF

MorningSwoop

Howdy,

I'm having an occasional FTF issue where the round will get stuck going up the feed ramp, locking the slide back (slide stop isn't activating). I'm not nose diving, the round just gets caught on the ramp. I'm using tuned Brazo mags with grams guts and DP +1 SNL. Ammo is loaded to 1.200 OAL MG FMJ. The gun is a Brazo HPE with a FLGR & 12.5 ISMI spring. It happened only once or twice earlier, but more recently I've been getting 2-4 a match.

Is it an extractor issue?

Try the bullet crimp first. If you have to adjust the extractor the best way is to pull it out and flip it backwards back in the hole and bend it just slightly so the hook backs away from the breach face. It's not so easy describing this over tex.

What is the OAL of your cartridges? Too short or too long can affect the feeding as you've described.

+1

I load two different lengths: 1.130 for my Glock and 1.180 for my STI. My STI will fail to feed the shorter rounds 30% of the time.

Edited by SpankYa

I mentioned OAL in the first post, 1.200. I've noticed this occurs more often on the 2nd to last bullet.

Sorry missed that. 1.200 is a little too long for most .40 cal 2011's. Try around 1.160 to 1.180, this is the range that Brian's research found to be the best feeding. I run 1.180, 1.200 was causing the issue you describe in my edge.

From what I have seen, best length is gun dependent. I did the same test Brian did and came up with 1.195" being the best for my gun. If I remember correctly, Brian found 1.175ish to be best for his gun. I don't think there is a magic coverall length.

I'm trying 1.18 now with my blank loads, it looks to be feeding a little more reliably but you can kind of replicate it if you let your slide forward slowly. I know the slide doesn't act like that in actual action, but its the easiest way to replicate the behavior. I don't think its the extractor as the bullet isn't even that far up yet.

This is where the Lee U die will shine, seen it fix this issue several times. Can be purchased from Lee, EGW or Midway USA. Need to load ammo long. I like 1.220 using range brass my guns run.

Lee's U die will size brass a little tighter than other brands and closer to the extractor groove. Don't care for Lee's locking nuts and on my 650 had to put the locking nut on the bottom of the tool head as the threads are shorter. Press may run a little slower as the die mouth is not as open and the press needs to be in time. Lubing cases will make the process easier.

Crimp should be a few thousands under what the bullet measures in the case. The first stage sizing hold the bullet in the case. Crimp lets it feed into the chamber easier. To much crimp accuracy suffers.

Most S-I pistols don't run well with stock length ammo. It's the U die or a push through die which is another step adding time to the process.

Any feeding or extraction issues on a 1911/2011 check extractor tension first it is the heart beat of the pistol.