Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade to Glock 34?

ES13Raven

Anyone that has used both extensively - do you find the 34 to be more accurate at 20+ yards?

Effectively Zero difference. At 20+ yards its trigger control and sights.

(same as other distances, right?)

Do you know where you hit at that distance?

Please define decent?

Try bench resting at 20 or 25 yards slow fire

How many alphas or 0's can you shoot out of 6 rounds.

Do the same freestyle. do it again, and again and so on for a total of 5 times.

Is there a difference?

I'll have to look at my notes but this was the first drill Ben Stoeger had us do in a recent class.

Its an eye opener.

Then he introduced a generous par time.

With My gun, My load and My sights I had to adjust my aiming a bit.

You might be the same or different but you need to find out.

Let me add some perspective.

I've been shooting Glocks in competition for 14 years. I was one of the first 8 or so guys to make USPSA Grand Master with a Glock. I've shot the IDPA classifier at the Master level (about the only time I've shoot any IDPA). I've won (probably hundreds) local matches with the Glock, in USPSA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol, etc. I've won state matches. I've finished in the top 25 a few times at the USPSA Nationals. I've been the Moderator of the Glock section here, and Administrator of this forum for over a decade. Blah, blah blah....

All that just to let you know I've been around the block with these things for a while.

If I could only have one Glock, it would be a G17. It would have good sights (Sevigny-Warren/Heinie), grip tape, and a 25 cent trigger job.

I've been shooting Glocks in competition for 14 years. I was one of the first 8 or so guys to make USPSA Grand Master with a Glock. I've shot the IDPA classifier at the Master level (about the only time I've shoot any IDPA). I've won (probably hundreds) local matches with the Glock, in USPSA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol, etc. I've won state matches. I've finished in the top 25 a few times at the USPSA Nationals. I've been the Moderator of the Glock section here, and Administrator of this forum for over a decade. Blah, blah blah....

All that just to let you know I've been around the block with these things for a while.

If I could only have one Glock, it would be a G17. It would have good sights (Sevigny-Warren/Heinie), grip tape, and a 25 cent trigger job.

Great info. Thanks :)

Try bench resting at 20 or 25 yards slow fire

How many alphas or 0's can you shoot out of 6 rounds.

Do the same freestyle. do it again, and again and so on for a total of 5 times.

Is there a difference?

I will have to try this next time I'm at the range. Thanks.

I spent this season very committed to meaningful dry fire and live fire practice. Shooting a G22 with 180's and 2.9 Clays (the "feels like cheating" load), I had a bunch of classifiers in the 85-90% range. Last weekend, after taking a few weeks off from any practice at all, I borrowed a friend's G34 just to try something different and shot over 100% on Diamond Cutter. This convinced me it's really important to have the right gun. I think the longer barrel and sight radius is an advantage.

bill o,

You had me when you said you took a few weeks off. Time and time again we see shooters post up how time off helped them out. Or, changing something (anything) helped their shooting. Brian calls that last one the "trick of the day". I think it is a product of renewed focus.

I have both. Started out with a G17 and then purchased a G34 recently. You can't go wrong either way. I'm sure it's mental (confidence thing), but I just enjoy the G34 more. I'm sure others might disagree. So I would say it's worth it. Although now I do find myself keeping the G17 stock and using the G34 as a platform to build upon...

I was in the same boat. I finally just settled on my gen 4 17 and decided to put some money into parts for it. However, one day i will own a long slide 17, that's like my dream gun.

Thats awesome! Good post :goof: Have you used the 17 exclusively most of your career or what other guns have you point a lot of time in with?

Flex, that is an impressive resume. If you sold all your glocks, and were to buy another for a game gun, which would you buy? Is the 34 worth the extra 100 bucks?

Edited by Apexer

Flex, that is an impressive resume. If you sold all your glocks, and were to buy another for a game gun, which would you buy? Is the 34 worth the extra 100 bucks?

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm headed to the gun shop in a couple of hours!

I'm at the other end of the 'Glock shooter' spectrum. I'm slow, clumbsy, a geezer with poor eye sight, and initially cleared the 50' Texas Star with my G23 in 47 seconds.....

got a G34 with a red dot, practiced a bit, and the next year did it in 7.8 seconds. Not that I'm any better over all, the G34 makes the most of what I can do with it.

And I DID sell my other Glocks to keep the G34. Although it might take all the challenge out of the course from the level of competitor you have become.

Get the 34. Keep the 17 for your night stand. Even with two Glocks you're still in for cheaper than a lot of guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Another thing in common! This is exactly what I did. I noticed an accuracy improvement with my G34, not exactly sure why though.

I prefer shooting my G34 even though for the longest time, my G17 had the same trigger work and sights.

I was just in the gun shop today fondling a G34 Gen 3 and wondering if it is worth the $684 price tag. I can get a G17 for $100 less. Have never shot a Glock before but with your endorsement of the G17 I don't know that I'll be giving the G34 another thought. Maybe if I can find one around the $625 range.

I was just in the gun shop today fondling a G34 Gen 3 and wondering if it is worth the $684 price tag. I can get a G17 for $100 less. Have never shot a Glock before but with your endorsement of the G17 I don't know that I'll be giving the G34 another thought. Maybe if I can find one around the $625 range.

Budsgunshop had them for 635 the last I looked.

Relative to the amount of money you have spent / will spend on ammo, accessories, range fees, gas, coaching, value of your time for practice, etc. -- seems like the amount you are talking about for the difference between a G17 and a G34 is insignificant, in terms of using price as the reason to pick one or the other.

My (still limited) match experience as a newer competitor with each seemed to mirror what I read - I felt more 'nimble' with my G17, while I felt more confident (and accurate) on longer range stuff, especially steel, with the G34. It may be as I get better (and miss less long range steel :-), it won't matter which I use.

Edited by trgt

I personally prefer the 34 over the 17. I find it is incredibly easy to shoot well. If I were in your position, I'd keep the 17 as a backup/ HD/CCW gun and get the 34 as your primary competition pistol. Having a spare gun when you travel to matches is never a bad idea.

If you feel like you need a G34...just buy the slide and barrel setup for a G34. Don't spend the 850 bucks to buy the same frame and a different slide. But you should just keep the 17, save the cash, and buy a load of ammo with the money you saved.