Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 5" recoil spring

jstagn

Tried replacing the std. captive recoil spring (16lb) with a 13lb.(captive) from speed shooters, slide would not go into full battery many times. Spring is SHORTER than stock but I don't know if that was the problem. Friend suggested I try a non-captive recoil rod and a progressive spring from wolf. I shoot lite loads and when the gun is a little dirty the cases stovepipe on recoil. WSF at 9mm 147gr rn with 3.7 gr works (about 885-900 fps). When I drop to 3.6 gr. is when the stovepipe comes into play. With the 13lb. spring there was in NO STOVEPIPE. Suggestions?

jstagn,

I am loading a 147gn Bayou with 3.2gn of Titegroup, and I am running the stock guide rod assembly, I have tired the Tungsten with various spring weights, finding that the tungsten with the 17# spring worked well, and the 15# worked best for that load. the issue is that the current NROI rules have the Pro Series weights listed incorrectly and with the tungsten guide rod it will be over weight.

So for now if you are shooting in USPSA, go back to stock, and heat up the load just a touch.

I have the ISMI recoil spring in my 9L and use the Carver custom non-captured guide rod. It works great. I use 115gr with 4.3 vihtavora with a 13lb spring and no issues. I shot around 6000 rounds and didnt clean it and no malfunctions. I shoot USPSA Limited.

You might need to work on a different load for that spring in your gun.

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/productCat45000.ctlg

Tried replacing the std. captive recoil spring (16lb) with a 13lb.(captive) from speed shooters, slide would not go into full battery many times. Spring is SHORTER than stock but I don't know if that was the problem. Friend suggested I try a non-captive recoil rod and a progressive spring from wolf. I shoot lite loads and when the gun is a little dirty the cases stovepipe on recoil. WSF at 9mm 147gr rn with 3.7 gr works (about 885-900 fps). When I drop to 3.6 gr. is when the stovepipe comes into play. With the 13lb. spring there was in NO STOVEPIPE. Suggestions?

Many of us have gone down the path you're on. Sure you can get ultra lite loads to work sometimes if you reduce the striker spring weight or length. Then using Fed primers, crossing your fingers, etc...

I've settled on the 15# ISMI on the factory guide rod and I just load them with enough power to safely and reliably run the gun.

Off hand I don't remember my 147gr load.

How accurate is you load at 25, 40 and 50 yards? Low power factor is cool but you have to hit the "A" zone or the 'mikes' will kill your score.

jstagn,

I am loading a 147gn Bayou with 3.2gn of Titegroup, and I am running the stock guide rod assembly, I have tired the Tungsten with various spring weights, finding that the tungsten with the 17# spring worked well, and the 15# worked best for that load. the issue is that the current NROI rules have the Pro Series weights listed incorrectly and with the tungsten guide rod it will be over weight.

So for now if you are shooting in USPSA, go back to stock, and heat up the load just a touch.

I have the SSS tungsten guide rod with 15 lb ISMI in my 9/L and it works great. You are saying it's illegal for production because it's overweight?

It is all about the weight, if the SS Guide rod does not weigh more then .56 OZ then sure thing it will work out. But that is issue here. the weight from S&W is wrong, and NROI needs to be updated by S&W, and that is currently underway ( I hope it is.. Dan, Julie???)

I am running an 11lb ISMI recoil spring on a glock 17 SS guide rod with Apex comp AEK internals and have not had any issues with not going into battery. I have run 15, 13, & 11lb springs on the same set up without issue. I am running 124gr plated at 132pf.

I am running an 11lb ISMI recoil spring on a glock 17 SS guide rod with Apex comp AEK internals and have not had any issues with not going into battery. I have run 15, 13, & 11lb springs on the same set up without issue. I am running 124gr plated at 132pf.

Yes, I've heard many Glocks run 11# recoils springs. They can and do that without any problems, not so with the M&P.

The 15 pound ISMI recoil spring works best in my 9Pro with 147g Xtreme and 3.8g WSF (~130PF). The 13lb spring worked OK when it was fresh, but quickly got too weak to keep the gun in battery. Shooting from odd angles or putting too much thumb contact on the slide would frequently keep the gun from going into battery with the 13lb spring. I've run both Apex and factory striker springs, but settled on the factory spring for reliability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

M&Ps don't like light recoil springs. The 13 pound works for some folks but the 15 works best in my guns (9 & 40)

+1

I tried a #13 spring and the gun cycled ok but the accuracy went to hell. I suspect it was because of the barrel having marginal lock up with the light spring.

Went back to the #15 and all is good. My gun seems to function best with a power factor of 132-137. I use the way it ejects the brass as a gauge.

Wolff round wire M&P springs on a Wolff guiderod. Cycles fine with the 12 lb,

but it's a little sluggish with 131 PF 147's. Runs great with the 14 lb spring.

Tried several light flat springs---iffy lockup at anything under 15 lbs.