Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags rusting

scottlep

It's not that it is a "cheap" grade of stainless, it's that they are likely formed from 400 series stainless which contains a small amount of carbon. Clean them up and use them. If you plan to store them use a light coat of oil.

I beg to differ referring to "any stainless steel rusts"... I have a stainless propeller on my 70HP Yamaha outboard its 8 years old.. I regularly run it in SALT WATER... Gulf of Mexico... and it does not have O N E speck of rust on it anywhere... so the statement that all stainless rusts.. is INCORRECT !!!!

STI uses 410 stainless for mag tubes, which is not a very corrosion resistant metal. It is hard, responds well to heat treating and is wear resistant. It is magnetic unlike some types of stainless which is why it works on magnetic mag pouches.

Mine were fine in Southern California but rusted in a matter of hours at the Oilfield Classic in Texas. I just polish them up as a matter of maintenance now. Ive seen the new nitrided mags STI is selling, I guess they figure 410 can always be coated with something. TiN, nitride, maybe hard chrome? Not sure on that one. I'll have to look into it.

Odds are, they need to be pacified - I can try it w my rusty mags, but I haven't had an issue once I used Boeshield. Not sure if trying to passive them will help w a magnetic grade if stainless.

Edited by Aglifter

cheap stainless steel -- RUSTS ..

Any stainless can rust, lower grades are more prone to rust. Stainless is rust resistant, not proof. In higher humidity enviornments or acidic enviornments it really needs a coating to prevent rust.

Actually, the chromium that is added to steel to MAKE it stainless creates a sacrifical layer that oxidizes, instead of the steel. The nickel in stainless steel helps hold this scarificial layer of chromium in place. The AMMOUNT of chromium and nickel in stainless will determine how easily the steel rusts. The higher the percentages, the more rust resistant.

Live in the south mine rust also. After polishing wipe them down with Mink Oil. Seems to help better than anything I've tried also rub the pistols down

about once a year. By mine at Red Wing Shoes but I'm sure any brand will work. Did a lot better than car wax.

• 1 month later...

Found some on a few of mine. Funny that not all of them did though

Given your STI magazines are less than 6 months old, I would call STI - get an RMA and have them replaced.

That should not happen.

You can also get your new magazines coated by robarguns.com with NP3 or other coatings. Then they are guaranteed for life.

I just visited their facility a few weeks ago and learned about the magazine treatment in addition to the complete gun. I have one NP3 coated gun and I am having a second handgun also treated with their NP3 product.

If they are in fact made out of 410 stainless they will likely rust. 410 only has 11.5% chromium, you need to get to 15% or higher for better corrosion resistance. Passivation may indeed help and you may find someone local that can do it. It's just an acid (usually nitric) dip but make damn sure they are in fact stainless, you really won't want to see them if they are a plain carbon steel after coming out of the acid bath. Look for chemical finishing/plating shops that cater to aerospace industry. If you use plain steel wool on them you are just applying some iron on the surface which can make them rust if you don't keep them lubed with something.

I just season mine using froglube paste and wipe them clean after cooling. Works pretty good for me.