Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Area 5 Dates

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake,

I wasn't able to attend the 2004 Area 5 match, but I do know several of the folks who made it possible.

Would you please share some constructive comments on how the the match could be improved?

Thank you,

Tom Bergman

Tom,

The 2004 Area 5 Match was a difficult situation. A lot of volunteers didn't show up as they had promised. This was due, in part to a serious case of burn-out. Sellersburg had just come off of hosting a very successful Kentucky State Sectional, and it wiped a lot of people out from what I hear. It was intended to be a warm-up for the upcoming Area 5, but they put their heart and soul into that sectional, and when it came time for Area 5, there were only a couple of diehards (three to be exact -Thank you Lee Leonard!!!) that were available to help. They did bring in a lot of top-notch staff and RO's (nationals staff people even), and that helped, as they got the stages up and running in time (many competitors didn't see the behind-the-scenes stuff), but it definitely strained some of their help. Bottom line is though, that they will have freshly charged batteries, better management, and are poised to show everybody that they have what it takes to host "the big one". Nobody is saying that Sellersburg did a bad job, merely that they are experiencing growing pains. Now that they have been through it, they know what to expect. Keep in mind that there are a lot of logistics involved in producing a match of this magnitude, and learning all the little things that go into making an Area match a success is a daunting task! This is the reason our Area Director gives the Area 5 to a club for two years, so they can build up to it, and actually have a gain in assets (props) for years to come. Put this match on your calendar, as it promises to be a great match!!! :D

Jeff

Michigan

I had a really good time at the Area 5, even aside from meeting :wub: JULIE GOLOSKI! :wub:

Being able to shoot the whole match in one block was definitely a plus. Unless there is a really, really good reason, I don't like to break for lunch. My squad just had a short wait on one stage while the ROs went for lunch, but otherwise we shot straight through.

The biggest side effect of the problems Barrettone mentioned was (I think) that some of the ROs who wanted to shoot didn't get to finish the match on the RO day, and maybe not at all. For all of the work they do, they really ought to get to shoot the whole match at the very least.

I have requested the President to approve the dates of September 23-25, 2005 at the Silver Creek Club in Sellersburg, Indiana for the Area 5 match.

Chuck Bradley and Lee Leonard will be Co-Match Directors with each having specific duties.

All the problems from this years match, which were mostly administrative, will be corrected in next years match. There is always a learning curve when a new venue is selected.

When these dates are set in stone, I will officially announce the match.

Gary Stevens

• 2 weeks later...

Hah! You'll note that I didn't "out" you as one of the slacker ROs who took a break for lunch. ;)

I really did think it was an excellent match. I would have enjoyed it even more had we not been in a freakin' outdoor steamroom all day, but you can't have everything, right?

I think all big matches should be held between 01 October and 31 March!

I have requested the President to approve the dates of September 23-25, 2005 at the Silver Creek Club in Sellersburg, Indiana for the Area 5 match.

:angry: Dang it! That is the same weekend as the IDPA National Championship in AR. Guess I won't be taking a beating in C-class from the rest of you Revo guys :lol:

:angry: Dang it! That is the same weekend as the IDPA National Championship in AR. Guess I won't be taking a beating in C-class from the rest of you Revo guys :lol:

Hey! You could do both ... shoot Area 5 on Friday, then keep driving to Arkansas and shoot the IDPA match on Sunday. Problem solved!

no you couldn't, IDPA shoots fri, sat and sunday If i recall, and i plan to win IDPA nats. reschedule the match if you expect to see a lot of us there...

Actually, you can shoot all day Thursday or you can shoot 1/2 on Friday and the other half on Saturday. If you shoot AM on Friday you start in PM on Saturday. If you shoot Friday afternoon you finish Saturday morning.

...but you're right, many in the Ohio valley region will be heading to Arkansas on Wednesday/Thursday. I'd schedule around Labor day or the weekend IMHO.