Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport vs CZ SP01 Shadow Target

anderson22

I want a tac driver. Does anyone have both or have shot both? At this time im gonna use the gun for grooming myself to become a better shooter. I dont plan on being in any competitions right away but will def b in someday. I live on a island so i dont have the chance to hold and shoot both. I really like the looks of the shadow target but with a few small add ons to the comp sport It would look just as good.

Well, I have and shoot both (the TS now since a few weeks).

First I´ve had the Shadow doing PD in IPSC with it.

I really enjoyed it and love that gun still most of all.

Then I wanted to upgrade and go for Limited Major.

Upgrade with a better gun and a bigger caliber.

So I bought me the TS in .40 S&W.

The TS is longer, what means that you have a longer sight distance (good for accurate shots).

She is heavier, so this will help to reduce the recoil, but will slow you down by movement on the other hand.

The trigger is an SA (against the SA/DA of the Shadow) and it is the best trigger I´ve shot so far.

The Shadow trigger has a muuuuuch longer way to pull and it is, even in the SA - modus, double the heavy then the TS (in DA - modus maybe four or more times as heavy).

BUT, I´m still more familiar with the Shadow, it is more handy and easier to handle somehow.

It just feels better for ME to shoot it and to move with it.

But I´m also still struggling with the .40 caliber.

With Major PF (min. 170 here in Germany, so I do about 175) there is a lot of BANG in this.

Maybe, that this just damages my judgement a little bit.

Might be that my opinion turns over after a while, I must invest some more work to get this under control.

In 9mm Luger, I´m sure, that the TS would work for me pretty good, hands down.

For longer distance shots, letting me enough time, I get better results with the TS in .40, but if I try to become faster it switches.

So the real question (in my opinion) is, what you want to do with it.

Would it be more to get a good accuracy especially above distances + 20 yds., or are you just looking for an easy to handle shooter having fun with and you go for speed?

Both are very good choices.

Edited by jayjay1

I shoot both regularly. As Jay points out they are both extremely good, but distinctly different pistols. It is really an apples to oranges comparison. Both are more than accurate enough for this game and close enough to each other not to make a difference. The real differences will be the triggers and the recoil (assuming you shoot major with the TS). The other difference is that the TS is a large frame pistol and the grip is quite a bit larger than the Shadow. Some like it, most cut the checkering off to reduce the size. Usually 9mm is cheaper to shoot although I use 160s with my Shadow so the cost difference is pretty minimal.

TS is a large frame pistol

That's not technically true. I call the TS a wide body small frame as it is designed for 9/40, but has a wider stagger for higher capacity in .40; large framed pistols are designed for 45/10/38 like the 97B, the large frame Witness and the 1911/2011 guns.

Agree to Neomet, the grip is a little wider and it is (original) to slippery for the .40, I did it was skateboard - tape.

(160´s? Dang! I only have 153´s, where did you get the 160´s??? :goof: )

Bayou Bullets. Very soft recoil. Very, very accurate, especially when used with N320.

Edited by Neomet

TS is a large frame pistol

That's not technically true. I call the TS a wide body small frame as it is designed for 9/40, but has a wider stagger for higher capacity in .40; large framed pistols are designed for 45/10/38 like the 97B, the large frame Witness and the 1911/2011 guns.

Right you are! The grip is the "large" part of the TS.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Shadow Target IDPA SSP legal? (ie machined slide for sights)

It would make it illegal as an SP 01 shadow. You would have to check with CZC if the production numbers have been met as a target model. 2000 per year, or 20,000 total production.

Is the Shadow Target IDPA SSP legal? (ie machined slide for sights)

It would make it illegal as an SP 01 shadow. You would have to check with CZC if the production numbers have been met as a target model. 2000 per year, or 20,000 total production.

There is no verification process.