Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo accuracy possible causes

Nimitz

So I remeasured the slug and got .356 which seems right. I might also slug the factory barrel just to see ...

With my new crimp and no mark on the bullets I'm at .376/.377. Not sure how folks are getting .378 because when I measure after bullet seating I'm never over that ...?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my numbers looked odd after seeing your post so I rechecked everything and here's what they really are:

loaded ammo at the case mouth:

.374, .374, .374, .372, .373, .374

unloaded new bullets:

.353, .352, . 354, .354, .355

pulled bullets:

.351, .350, . 352, .352

Okay, let's recap the info you have provided.

New bullets - .352" - .355"

Pulled bullets - .350"- .352"

Slug through your barrel - .356"

Given your measurements you should be able to see why you are having accuracy issues with that barrel.

Pat

My new CZ will be delivered by the end of Nov and I'll be needing to make my annual bullet order sometime in Jan. I can custom order a bigger size 9mm from Xtreme so I'm trying to figure out if that would be a good idea and what down side, if any, would there be ...

I use Bayou Bullets in .356, but Donnie will make up to .358 at no extra charge.

Might be a good idea to make a one month order before purchasing a full years worth of bullets. Don't want to end up with thousands of bullets that aren't the optimum size for your new gun.

Agreed. Once I know my bore size is there a general rule about optimum size of bullets in relation to the bore or is it just trial and error?

Rule of thumb for lead is at least .001 over groove diameter. I usually run .357 diameter in 9mm. In my PPC revolver I use .358 bullets in a .355 Walther barrel. It is a tack driver.

Also, got to the range today with my friend to check out my new rds and it looks like I may have solved my accuracy issues. I'll try and post pics of the target tonight but at 20 yds he managed a 3" group and at 15 yds a little over 1". Not bad considering he shoots a Sig and has not shot my G34 before ...

Also, got to the range today with my friend to check out my new rds and it looks like I may have solved my accuracy issues. I'll try and post pics of the target tonight but at 20 yds he managed a 3" group and at 15 yds a little over 1". Not bad considering he shoots a Sig and has not shot my G34 before ...

Great to hear that.

I started at 1.15 since I'd been told a lot of Glocks will shoot that length.

Also, bullet profile makes a huge difference, which I learned the hard way. Shortly after starting reloading I switched to lead and didn't know that the bullets I selected required one of the shortest OALs around to work. Found out the hard way at a match where I zeroed 2 stages because my ammo wouldn't chamber ... I wasn't very bright back then. Had to go to 1.08 before they would work from 1.14 where I was at the time ...

it appears that it was just too much crimp. I backed off until there was no more mark on a bullet when I pulled one and the resulting groups reported earlier resulted. I didn't change anything else ...