Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

v1911

Looking to try something a bit out of the box and hoping someone could chime in with some expertise.

So I'm looking to load a 150gr LSWC. This is probably developed for .38 super or .38 spl. but I'm looking to use it for IDPA in my 9mm. This will be shot out of a 5" ramped barrel. Hoping that the larger bullet will provide more of a softer push in recoil and leave a cleaner cut on paper.

Powders I have to experiment with:

HS-6

AA#7

Clays

Ramshot Competition

Also picked up some 135gr RN and 146gr FP sample packs from Bayou Bullets. With it headspacing on the shoulder, I'm not comfortable using 147gr FP as a starting point because of how much more bullet is below the case mouth.

147gr

post-36011-0-10114100-1380980085.jpg

150gr

post-36011-0-31490000-1380980139.jpg

I thought the 9mm headspaced on the case mouth? Mine don't have a shoulder... Maybe that's where my problems begin... (LOL!) I shoot the 147 and 135 Bayous. My tests show the 147s to "push" the softest, but I have to run the COL at 1.100 or I have battery problems. No exp with those powders, but, that bullet or the 135 gr are easy to make PF with. I shoot the same loads out of a 6", a 5", a 4" and a 3.5 in. All function100%.

Thanks Dr. Phill. Yeah, normally it would headspace on the case mouth.

My experience with LSWC has shown that I have to load shorter than with RN or FN because the shoulder on the bullet itself will engage the rifling. Resulting of course in misfeeds.

That would put more bullet below the case mouth than the 147gr and increasing pressures.

Thanks for the feedback on the feel from the 147s.

What PF are you trying for? Even at that shorter COL your pressures won't be dangerously high. Your velocity with the 147s is only around 850-875. I tend to run all my COLs @ 1.100 to 1.125 now. I have tested them out as far as 1.170 and velocities are very similar, so I stay with the heavier bullets shorter.

Good to hear.

Just got my sample packets in today. Hoping to have some loads worked up by next weekend's match.

I appreciate you guys chiming in. Not a lot of information out there for this round for use in 9mm. Rather be safe than gunless.

My tests show the 147s to "push" the softest, but I have to run the COL at 1.100 or I have battery problems.

So I loaded 2 batches of 147gr while I decide what to do with the 150s. Using Lyman's suggestion of 1.058 resulted in feed issues just as you had experienced. There was also a significant bulge caused by the bullet being seated so deeply. 3:4 wouldn't even pass the case gauge. Pulling back to 1.1 OAL still passes the plunk test and now 9:10 will also pass the case gauge.

Initially I tested the 147s at 1.05 OAL with 4.5gr - 4.7gr of HS-6. Far too snappy for IDPA. Will be going with 2.8gr of Clays at 1.1 OAL next.

Thanks for the tips guys.

You work up a load for the COL you are using. It doesn't matter what the COL is, the load work up is the same. What you DON'T want is the bullet, after seating, getting pushed deeper in the case.

Load the SWC so the bullet shoulder just touches, or almost just touches, the lede/rifling/lands. The larger diameter of the .38 SWC will often show up be producing much smaller groups, if you don't swage the bullet down while seating. Use a .38 expander die to ensure the case is expanded properly. Too many folks think that they are hitting the case web when what they are doing is insufficiently expanding the case (not talking about case mouth flare) and the bullet is being seated crooked--you'll notice a bulge on one side of the case at the base of the bullet caused by not using a large enough expander plug (or no expander plug at all).

I have also found that MY 9x19s do not like short COLs and feed best at 1.100 or longer.

Are Clays and Competition for Minor and AA7 and HS6 for Major?

For me, Clays is way too prone to pressure spikes for me to want to use in 9x19.

Solo 1000 has been a very well behaved fast powder, as has AA2.

Ive used aa7, universal, wsf, unique, bullseye with 147 and 160 gr lrn in 9mm and 38 super. its easier to get them to run and be accurate the 160's in the super.

The 160 need to run about 800 fps for power factor and so they stabize

• 3 months later...

As an update, I got to run two loads of Bayou Bullets 150gr LSWC using Clays and Ramshot Competition.

2.8gr Clays 1.116 OAL: 892fps avg. 134PF

3.4gr Competition 1.187 OAL: 890fps avg. 133PF

I couldn't distinguish the difference in recoil between these 2 powder puffs. The 1.116 OAL was definitely easy to get to pass the case gauge and plunk test.

As an update, I got to run two loads of Bayou Bullets 150gr LSWC using Clays and Ramshot Competition.

2.8gr Clays 1.116 OAL: 892fps avg. 134PF

3.4gr Competition 1.187 OAL: 890fps avg. 133PF

I couldn't distinguish the difference in recoil between these 2 powder puffs. The 1.116 OAL was definitely easy to get to pass the case gauge and plunk test.

I just got my sample packs of Bayou's in 135, 147, and 150 gr 9mm and will be doing some load development with E3 and SR7625. Interestingly I weighed a few from each batch, the 135's and 147's were pretty consistent but the 150gr SWC all came in about 147gr's. I doubt it makes a difference on the load though, just an obervation.

given 9mm should headspace on the case mouth I load my SWC (usually 120gn or 125gn) to have the shoulder of the projectile just ever so slightly above the case mouth. if you push it beyond the case mouth it's a recipe for possible problems. that way the round should still headspace properly and I've not had any feeding issues with my SP01 Shadow. though I do understand your concern using the 150gn as case volume will be reduced quite a bit. just need to try a few and see how they go.

I just got a batch of the 135 Bayou Bullets. I had been shooting 124 grain TC from Missouri but was getting a little leading in my SS minor 9mm 1911. Since I was loading the 124s out a little for reliable feeding in the 1911 I figured I might as well move up to 135 at the same length and get a little more "whomp" on steel. I have only shot a few for function but they seem to be fine for accuracy as well out of both my 1911 and XDm. I hope they also work well in my Browning HP but have not tried them yet.

I am using 125 grain truncated cone lead bullets and was having trouble chambering rounds. I bought a throating reamer and solved the problem. Round nose would chamber fine. The longer throat does not change head space but leaves clearance for the larger diameter of the bullet below the ogive.