Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR mag holders

I use the simple Blade-Tech Revolution AR mag pouch. It can be used bullets facing backwards or forwards. Try working the process in reverse to find out what works best for you. With the rifle shouldered, take the magazine out with your loading hand and lower it to your preferred mag pouch location. What feels most natural? Run with that.

I use the simple Blade-Tech Revolution AR mag pouch. It can be used bullets facing backwards or forwards. Try working the process in reverse to find out what works best for you. With the rifle shouldered, take the magazine out with your loading hand and lower it to your preferred mag pouch location. What feels most natural? Run with that.

Great advice - +1 on the blade-tech mag holder.

If the one you want to useis set up the wrong way, then it is left-hand/right-hand specific. Order the opposite side and place it where you want. (Comp-Tac pouches are, for example, like this.)

I've used the Blade-tech and the Safariland they both work either direction. I prefer bullets pointing back, try both as previously stated and see what you are more comfortable with.

Edited for Spelling...

Edited by GuildSF4

I usually run a mag big enough to finish with no reload needed. For an oh crap mag holder I liked the One my brother stole from me that was for the back horizontal bullets down. I don't think I have had a reload off the belt yet unless it was mandatory. For mandatory reloads I like bullets forward with a straight 20downloaded to 18 as it indexes like a pistol mag

Get a 40-60 round mag and a set of coupled mags and you won't have to reload off your belt. Then you can stick the bullets up, down or forward in your mag pouch.

Nice plan, but like all my other plans it goes out the window once the buzzer goes off. I will invariably drop the doubled mags with yhe mag release and either have to pick them up, or reload off my belt anyway.

I'm new to the sport and still learning.

• 2 weeks later...

If you grab AR mags like a pistol mag with the base in your palm, bullets forward.

If you grab AR mags like a tennis racket, bullets backward.

I do #1 myself but there are people a lot better than me who do #2. No one has given me a convincing answer as to why one or the other is functionally advantageous.

I usually run a mag big enough to finish with no reload needed. For an oh crap mag holder I liked the One my brother stole from me that was for the back horizontal bullets down. I don't think I have had a reload off the belt yet unless it was mandatory. For mandatory reloads I like bullets forward with a straight 20downloaded to 18 as it indexes like a pistol mag

I liked my horizontail small-of-back-pouch until I bounced the mag out twice at a major, luckily I did not need it. Now I will run both of my rifle mags vertical.