Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 FNH USA 3 GUN CHAMPIONSHIP

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02 ... Time Plus is a great way to score a match. It's not only easy & simple, but your score is your score (for better or worse) & is a true reflection of your match performance (you & your gear). I think it's the way to go.

The problem occurs when the stages are unbalanced. An example is where 7-8 stages are all in the 20-30 second range and one or two are 150-180 for the majority, usually a long range difficult rifle stage. A person that shoots LR Rifle REALLY well and smoke this one stage and still place very high having shot the balance of the stages 10-20 seconds off. In a number of cases the one stage turned the entire match. Converting stages to points eliminates this anomaly. You have to do well across the whole match to win.

Just my thoughts.

My $.02 ... Time Plus is a great way to score a match. It's not only easy & simple, but your score is your score (for better or worse) & is a true reflection of your match performance (you & your gear). I think it's the way to go.

The problem occurs when the stages are unbalanced. An example is where 7-8 stages are all in the 20-30 second range and one or two are 150-180 for the majority, usually a long range difficult rifle stage. A person that shoots LR Rifle REALLY well and smoke this one stage and still place very high having shot the balance of the stages 10-20 seconds off. In a number of cases the one stage turned the entire match. Converting stages to points eliminates this anomaly. You have to do well across the whole match to win.

Just my thoughts.

Sounds like we better work on our long range shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 For Mike's comments.

BGC

For knock down targets, I can assume they must hit the ground? I saw several people at CMMG, including myself, that shot the stage and one of the knock down plates fell, and landed on the stand and never hit the ground.

6.1.5 Knock-down/swinging/flashing targets that do not fall/react will incur time penalties as

follows:

6.1.5.1 Target did not fall/react, but target was engaged =10 second penalty (Un-hit

Target).

6.1.5.2 Target did not fall/react and target was not engaged = 15 second penalty (Target

Not Hit and Not Engaged).

Alma, I hear you. I like rules and stuff, and I have a degree in Advanced Theoretical Chemistry, which is all math. I have never understood scoring or anything related to like hit factor and all that. Maybe because I always concentrate on the basics. Get in match, get to range, look at stages, get to first stage on time, shoot as well as I can, thank RO's. I like to shoot. I think what some of these guys are trying to tell you is that Larry is a straight shooter who will not go out of his way to screw you, in fact the opposite. He will likely give you a gun to shoot if your isn't compliant and say get it fixed. He has a great record designing stages that are great shooting challenges, not just athletic contests. He also does great shotgun matches. The collective is vouching for Larry Houck and Linda Chico. Sometimes you just have to have a little faith and go.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have only met Larry in passing but he seemed nice enough and very competent. Now I just need to know if I have the charging handle installed on my non Open pistol before or after the match.

If it was still on the stand, how could it fall? It changed position.

Very true, I never thought of it like that I guess. It did technically "react" though haha.

Rule 6.1.4

Knock-down targets (e.g. Pepper Poppers and Plates) must fall to score.

Swinging / flashing targets must react in the manner prescribed in the stage briefing. An event official may call hits.

Very true, I never thought of it like that I guess. It did technically "react" though haha.

Got to knock it down, off the stand. If you are unlucky enough to hit a plate and spin it, lay it flat, or change it's position on the stand in some way, it ain't knocked down.

I edged two plates one year with my shotgun....I subsequently started using 3 1/4 dram eq. shells...

Rule 6.1.4

Swinging / flashing targets must react in the manner prescribed in the stage briefing. An event official may call hits.

It fell over, I would call it a hit.

Rule 6.1.4

Good call George.....benefit goes to the shooter in this case. Call it a freak of nature but it is a fallen target.....I don't think I need to put in the rules it has to hit the ground. However turn it sideways.....keep shooting as it did not fall, it turned.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have only met Larry in passing but he seemed nice enough and very competent. Now I just need to know if I have the charging handle installed on my non Open pistol before or after the match.

Have it installed after the match.

Thank you. Looking forward to next month with great anticipation.

I guess I should have asked previously but I will run along assuming generously sized magwells are good to go for TO unless you post otherwise.

Rule 6.1.4

Good call George.....benefit goes to the shooter in this case. Call it a freak of nature but it is a fallen target.....I don't think I need to put in the rules it has to hit the ground. However turn it sideways.....keep shooting as it did not fall, it turned.

Good to know. I saw this happen several times at CMMG. I saw it more in 1 match than I have my entire shooting career, which isn't but a couple years. The target I shot fell on the stand, I didn't notice it until they called at after I showed clear. I had to look close because the base of the target was facing me and I thought it was just the top of the stand.

Anyways, looking forward to the match. This will be my first time shooting this match and I hope it is not my last.

Rule 6.1.4

Good call George.....benefit goes to the shooter in this case. Call it a freak of nature but it is a fallen target.....I don't think I need to put in the rules it has to hit the ground. However turn it sideways.....keep shooting as it did not fall, it turned.Thanks Larry. I was going to inquire at the RO meeting.

Well at least with total time you know you are out of the running for anything if you tank a stage... It is impossible to ever come back from a bad stage with total time scoring.....

Looking forward to the match, regardless how much I detest that particular scoring system (and I REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE it).