3rd Kalani Laker

4th Joel Turner

5th True Pearce

6th Jerry Miculek

7th Keith Garcia

8th Travis Gibson

9th Nate Heinrichs

10th Jesse Tischauser

Cool to see some up and coming shooters in the top 10. There was real talent at this match.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 different lights for my AR, one is a tight focused beam, one more of a flood and one is adjustable. I did not get a lot of time to walk the stages shooting with the RO/media, but I could get a read on the light by watching the first shooter. On a few stages, I opted for just the laser on the rifle, especially later. There was a lot more light this year than last year that actually changed the challenge a bit.

When the breeze stops and the humidity goes up, it does get more difficult. I shot right to left and took a shuffle in the box after shooting the middle target to get away from some dust and smoke. I used my dimmest light and relied on the laser with with the upper third of the buttstock in the lower third of my shoulder to drop the rifle about 4 inches and sight over the top of the optic. Same way for the paper rifle array on stages 7 and 9, but those had movement that let you leave the smoke behind.

Wish I could blame the humidity. First stage Saturday, I was first shooter.

Looking through the optic, I could not find the targets, they just seemed to blend into the sand, and enough muzzle flash or dust.. they were ghost targets

If there's no magic light, I think just being ready to shoot laser only, would have saved me a boat load of time.. after the beep, it just wasn't part of my inept plan to start with

I thought about putting a light on the spool, of course after I shot too

Stage 8 was all laser for me. I believe it was also my only top 50 finish, so ignoring my Eotech for a stage seems to have been the ticket. By having to chose between reloading my shotgun or transferring to pistol I left even more time on the table with Stage 8. Xrail, anyone?

The Colt rifle on Stage 1 was a dream. As a lefty, most other stage guns had me wishing for my own, but that Colt. Mmmm.

I think you should get yourself a Strike Light, and then let me borrow it, for next year. :)

The local PD I work some with ditched flashbangs for Strike Lights and these things would be just the ticket for a few stages. Toss it halfway up the berm and go to work with the laser.

I used a TLR1 HP which is great because of the narrow beam. That coupled with a Green Rail Master Pro and I blasted through that stage. I finished 17, only 2 seconds from 10th. I flood light headlamp was definitely a detriment to people.

I ran it using the MVF-600c, which has a 200 lumen light. I relied only on the laser and shot R to L considering the dust/drift. I think our conditions on that stage were better than what you had to deal with, so we got lucky on that stage.

1st Daniel Horner

2nd Matt Sweeney

3rd Kalani Laker

4th Joel Turner

5th True Pearce

6th Jerry Miculek

7th Keith Garcia

8th Travis Gibson

9th Nate Heinrichs

10th Jesse Tischauser

Cool to see some up and coming shooters in the top 10. There was real talent at this match.

This was my first time at this match and I have to say it was the most EPIC match of the year. My goal was to try to get close to the top 15, but I never expected to place 9th out of so many top shooters that showed up. I had a really solid match with only a few small mistakes. The RO's were top notch and a pleasure to shoot with. Chuck you put on one hell of a match and it is now the only match I have ever shot that I can say that I WILL NOT miss this match, EVER! Thanks to everyone involved and to the sponsors that provided stage guns and product for the prize table, which also was EPIC!

• 3 months later...

I just want to say thanks again to Sig Sauer for the wonderful rifle that I won via their donation to the Crimson Trace Midnight 3-Gun Match. It just came in yesterday and it is awesome!

B9D13CE2-2027-405B-802F-0E50786EBAE7_zps

That's too bad that by the time you got to the prize table, all that was left was an IOU for something so similar to something you already have. Better luck next year.

:devil:

Speaking of which, wasn't registration already underway by this time last year? I've seen dates listed somewhere but nothing on registration yet. I need to know if an Xrail is in my future. Because, that was the only reason I could see for my comparatively dismal finish. Plus, it WAS dark out.

:ph34r:

Has the new "match management" reached out to you chuck? Just curious if they want to keep the match going under a new name if they want to pick the brain of the guy that ran the previous ones. I'm glad I got to shoot last years, and hope to be a part of the future night matches.

This match was #1 on my list, I usually only shoot a couple of major matches a year, but If I could only shoot one, this one got the vote. I was bummed to say the least, especially since its local for me.

My hope for the new match, would be divisions like other matches. I only have "Limited" gear and guns and would like to see a Limited division for the new dark hour 3gun match. Although a little practice would help my score more, I was always tempted to build new guns just for this match.

A look on the bright side though, our T-shirts just became collector grade! I will always be appreciative for Crimson Trace putting on this match though.

Out of curiosity, how limited would you like to see the Divisions. True "limited" would prevent the weapon mounted lights and lasers. Or are you just thinking Tac ops weapon rules (limited SG capacity, limited pistol etc)?

Shotgun capacity wasn't a huge issue at the last match. There was one time that having 17 rounds on tap was advantageous. Anybudy can get a 17rd tube for their gun with the new Nordic couplers and it costs under $100 for another tube and coupler. I liked not having to spend valuable seconds loading since we only had a few hours to shoot every night before we became zombies.

I hadn't considered the limiting of lights and lasers, but shotgun capacity for me was 8+1 and there were a couple of stages where I saw it made a pretty good advantage to have even just 1-3 more shots. I didn't really feel at any disadvantage running my rifle that's setup for Limited, in the dark the targets are close enough that my Eotech was just as fast, but I don't shoot big comp's either. Pistol, I normally run an STI in 40sw, but it doesn't have a light rail, so I ran my Glock 35. My strong suit is normally pistol, but my shotgun skills are just average. That was the only match I was able to shoot last year, so I only managed to place in the mid 40's. Perhaps Tac Ops rules, Im considering swapping out to a Leupold firedot 1-4 (from the prize table) and try a scope for a match or two.