Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MagPul PMAG Question

dbletap_ed

After reading many positive reviews of PMAGS I picked up 2 to try. I have not been to the range yet but the first thing I noticed is that they will not drop out of either of my AR’s (JP and Colt) without pulling them out. Is this normal for PMAGs?

Guess I can try a little careful sanding till they drop free.

Thanks

3 seekins precision one tactical machining and one spikes lowers all drop free. I heard some lowers are tight such as some runs from cmmg. If you don't want to sand through your anodizing on the lower, you could file the mag some. It's common practice for Ak47's.

I've never had to file an AK mag to make it fit. That should speak volumes on out of spec US made receivers or out of spec single stack conversions.

As for Pmags, never had an issue with them dropping free on every lower that I own, including Colt...

Mick

3 seekins precision one tactical machining and one spikes lowers all drop free. I heard some lowers are tight such as some runs from cmmg. If you don't want to sand through your anodizing on the lower, you could file the mag some. It's common practice for Ak47's.

I have a Mak90(Chinese) and I know its not high end, but tapco mags wouldn't fit without filing. Had a CAI pap ak47 conversion that had the same problem, shave the mags a little(5minute job) and you get a nice snug fit

After reading many positive reviews of PMAGS I picked up 2 to try. I have not been to the range yet but the first thing I noticed is that they will not drop out of either of my AR’s (JP and Colt) without pulling them out. Is this normal for PMAGs?

Guess I can try a little careful sanding till they drop free.

Thanks

On the back edge should be 2 small tabs that you can sand down until the PMAG drops free.

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2

Thank you for all of the input.

I did mean that the mags would not drop out when empty. After reading the replies I just starting inserting the mags and them dropping them continually. I guess I just had to knock the new off of them as they now drop free.

Now for a new question as a result of the replies, how do I tell if they are Gen 2 or 3?

Thank you for all of the input.

I did mean that the mags would not drop out when empty. After reading the replies I just starting inserting the mags and them dropping them continually. I guess I just had to knock the new off of them as they now drop free.

Now for a new question as a result of the replies, how do I tell if they are Gen 2 or 3?

Gen 3 Pmags have the dot matrix at the bottom of the mag body (on the sides) for you to fill in for numbers initials, etc. They also have a pronounced over insertion stop on the rear spine of the mag. If you look at the bottom of the floor plate, Gen 3 mags have a small "M3" in them. The floor plates are not interchangeable between them either.

Hurley

I've never had to file an AK mag to make it fit. That should speak volumes on out of spec US made receivers or out of spec single stack conversions.

As for Pmags, never had an issue with them dropping free on every lower that I own, including Colt...

Mick

Totally different magazine locking system. (apples to oranges comparison) Also AK's doe vary a huge amount from country to country and maker to maker even gun to gun.

Totally different magazine locking system. (apples to oranges comparison) Also AK's doe vary a huge amount from country to country and maker to maker even gun to gun.

It don't matter on the locking system, if a mag doesn't lock in or don't drop free, you are going to have to modify the mag or the gun.

By the looks of it, ar15s are starting to have some variances on tolerances as well

It don't matter on the locking system, if a mag doesn't lock in or don't drop free, you are going to have to modify the mag or the gun.

By the looks of it, ar15s are starting to have some variances on tolerances as well

It does matter and not all AK mags fit all AK's perfectly. Also gen 3 pmags fit pretty much everything. Anything man made will have some differences in tolerances.