Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Major length (and other things)

Hatchet

Hi all,

I started shooting USPSA Production about a year ago with a Shadow. In order to mix it up a bit, I decided to shoot Limited using a Glock 35. I have only loaded 9mm and have that one dialed in perfectly(Universal Clays 3.5 gr and a 147 gr plated RN projectile). I have read dozens of threads on .40 loads and am trying to get a few things straight before I get started.

My goal is to have a consistent, safe load for Major in 180 gr.

Lyman states that the OAL of a .40 is 1.135. I read a few threads stating Glock magazines don't like them longer, while 2011 pistols can have OAL of up to 1.200. I didn't even realize that projectiles for .40 were all flat nose. What is your experience with this?

I have also read that WST can alter pressure depending on the temperature. What are some recommended slower powders that aren't as temperature dependent?

Any other suggestions on safely getting up to the 950 fps range with a 180gr with a Glock is greatly appreciated. Also, I am using the stock barrel for now and don't plan on shooting lead.

Thanks!

I run my 40's for a Glock at 1.135 because my magazines won't accept a longer length without feed problems.

While it may not be the perfect powder for 40 major I have taken to WSF,lacks the reverse sensitivity of WST.

The load I use out of a G 22 gives me 980 fps SJ 40

Edited by SJ 40

I've tried Solo 1000 (reverse temp sensitive), n320, and Titegroup, all with an Ibejiheads 180 gr coated bullet, easily made major in the factory barrel with all powders. I will use the Solo for local matches, and n320 for majors to make sure I chrono without worrying about what temperature it is.

I think most people on here will recommend any of those powders. They are more on the fast end of the burn rate chart.

I've been loading to 1.138, and only had one out of about 1500 have an issue feeding - not sure what the problem was with that one. I picked up the round, and loaded it in practice no problem.

Just got a 35 for a back up gun to my STI 40 and tried to load my 1.178 oal's . They don't fit. Will have to load another 500 jyst to fit the glock at the major I'm shooting later this month. Will most likely go with 1.135 but using WST

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I load mine to 1.155" for my G35 and 1.185" for my STI. I use Universal.

I have a lot of Universal. Are you using 180 gr and, if so, how much powder and what is your PF?

4.9 gr and 175 PF using 185 gr

Edited by Poppa Bear

I load to 1.140 here and have no trouble feeding the rounds. I do find some variation with brass of .005 or so (Win brass in particular) so you may have to watch that. My load for Xtreme would be 4.7gr of N320 but start with 4.5 and go from there as my results were from a KKM barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

I load to 1.140 here and have no trouble feeding the rounds. I do find some variation with brass of .005 or so (Win brass in particular) so you may have to watch that. My load for Xtreme would be 4.7gr of N320 but start with 4.5 and go from there as my results were from a KKM barrel.

I have been testing for about a week and loaded up to 4.8 N320 with a 180 gr Xtreme and am only getting about 880 fps out of the stock Glock barrel. What is your PF or fps using 4.7?

1.140 and Xtremes caused be a lot of trouble at GA State this year. My KKM took them just fine but my mags not so much. Ill be sticking with BBI and 1.135" from now on

I use N320

1.140 and Xtremes caused be a lot of trouble at GA State this year. My KKM took them just fine but my mags not so much. Ill be sticking with BBI and 1.135" from now on

I use N320

How much N320 and what was the PF?

Just like any other loading protocol start a little lower and work up with chrono

I've worked up to 4.8 at 1.140 and still only get 880 fps. I'll have to go to 5.0 to make major. I have compared my chrono to others and it is acurate. Seems odd.

Just like any other loading protocol start a little lower and work up with chrono

I've worked up to 4.8 at 1.140 and still only get 880 fps. I'll have to go to 5.0 to make major. I have compared my chrono to others and it is acurate. Seems odd.

Some barrels are slower than others

I use N320

Lately I prefer Bayou or BBO just like the above. With Xtreme at 4.7 I was right around 938fps. Some barrels can be slower than others and my stock barrel did not like plated bullets, lots of copper smearing. Right now I am running Bayou 180gr over 4.4gr of N320 for 945fps (I ran the same bullet at GA state but with 4.5gr and got 968fps). Those are through a KKM barrel and I load to 1.140. I have found some variation in brass OALs btw. Win brass seems to have more variation than Fed, Speer, R&P and starline.

• 2 weeks later...

Glock 24 --- so, not much different than a Glock 35. I use an OAL of 1.135 -- same OAL I use when loading 9mm in my G34. I run 4.4gr Titegroup behind a 180gr Montana Gold JHP. Chronos at 166pf. This is coming out of a KKM barrel BTW.

Glock 24 --- so, not much different than a Glock 35. I use an OAL of 1.135 -- same OAL I use when loading 9mm in my G34. I run 4.4gr Titegroup behind a 180gr Montana Gold JHP. Chronos at 166pf. This is coming out of a KKM barrel BTW.

I've not loaded jacketed yet in .40, but that seems pretty slow compared to some of my testing with Titegroup and coated Ibejiheads. I load 180gr to 1.138", and out of a factory G35 barrel, got 172 PF from 4.1gr Titegroup, and 178 PF from 4.3gr.

I didn't think the difference between jacketed and coated lead would be that much...