Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flexs makes the news!

Steve Anderson

Kyle got a little bit of ink in the new combat handguns (kahr mp9 on the cover) as part of the C&S gunsmith class review. "Kyle Farris, aspiring uspsa shooter..."

Pretty cool, small world and all that...

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 8:54 am on June 28, 2002)

"Kyle Farris, aspiring uspsa shooter..."

C'mon, it sounds like they're interviewing him for the high school yearbook. :) Well, I'm off to the newsstand to check out those aspirations.  hehehe....

But seriously, Congrats Kyle!  And I hope the article does justice to a really fine shooter. -sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I really have to get caught up on my magazine subscriptions! :huh:

I'm casaually flipping through Combat Hanguns September 2002 (! :o ) that was in a stack of old magazines to be thrown out and there he is...."Mr. Chain Blue Lighting, himself." B)

So now that he's made GM is he still aspiring? He's yawning in picture #2....

I think this should be followed up by a Part II where he builds a revolver! :D

Pretty cool seeing guys you know in the gun rags. I was stunned one day to look at a Walt Rauch article about the 2003 IDPA Nationals and danged if my brother-in-law isn't there in all his glory shooting a wheelgun. Marmot452 didn't even know he was famous until I called him on the phone. Pretty cool B)

I suspect it is just a matter of time before Rhino is featured.

When you call out to get info on the class, Bill will tell you that the class is like, "putting 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb. sack". He's not kidding. The class is a week long (M-F), it could easily be a two week class. The pace is well structured, but there isn't time to mess around much. The hours are long, and if the class gets behind...you will stay into the evening. It is broken up into steps/blocks...finish one thing, then move on to learning the next.

Bill knows his stuff and is a good teacher. And, he has been doing this stuff for a while. No worries there.

The class is mostly old-school...more files, not much machining. And, the parts are top-notch (Caspian, Barsto, ect.) When you are done with the class, you will have all the tools needed to build at home on your own bench and vice. Of course, all the proper tools means a chunk out of the wallet. Feel good in knowing that you bought quality.

You will learn how to hand-fit all the parts on the 1911. And, Bill covers the pros and cons of fitting them from zero tolerance...out to maximums.

If you do your part, you will come away from the class with a gun that you can win with on the weekend.

Speaking of doing your part...Bill will tell you to practice filing before you come to the class. You won't. Or, you won't practice enough (none in our class did, anyway). It will cost you time in the class. you will be filing everything by hand...PRACTICE more than you think you need to. Also, get some time in on the dremel. We did use it more than I expected (for example, we used a carbide cutter to lower the ejection port).

We had four guys in our class. One wrote up the article that kicked this therad off. It can be seen on the C&S website: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/classesart.shtml