Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster selection

pbosik

Hi fella's, I recently picked up a 625 and a 627, both 5" and plan on shooting both in USPSA! Assuming the 627 becomes legal in the revo division. The problem I am having is deciding on a holster. The 3 I am considering is a doh from bladetech, well 2 ,,then a ghost ultimate and last, a CR speed holster. I am hoping you guys can let me know your thoughts on the three I have narrowed it down to. Thanks in advance. Pbosik

If money is no issue, I'd go with the DAA Race Master , you can use multiple N Frame revolvers , regardless of barrel length with no issue.

I use a CR Speed in steel challenge, but I dont feel the locking mechanism is that great.

Blade techs are good, lots of guys use them, they're cheap, basic, but do no offer any sort of lock to secure the firearm.

Blade techs are good, lots of guys use them, they're cheap, basic, but do no offer any sort of lock to secure the firearm.

That's because they don't need any sort of lock to secure the firearm!

You will never find your revolver on the ground with the Blade-Tech. That is not necessarily the case with the various other "speed" holsters.

That's because they don't need any sort of lock to secure the firearm!

You will never find your revolver on the ground with the Blade-Tech. That is not necessarily the case with the various other "speed" holsters.

I've personally seen people drop their firearm to the ground with blade tech holsters. Either while running and it hopped out, or while starting in a seating postion on a stage, or in their personal chair , if it gets caught on something on your way to sit up, there is nothing to stop it from pulling out.

While these examples are rare, it's at least something to put into consideration.

I thought about the racemaster, as I already own one , so the block is all I would need. With my glock the racemaster drags bad, despite adjustments and taking off material, so I'm not willing to mess with it or another in revo division.

After using safariland I tried a locally made holster. JR holsters very well made and my sv doesn't move when holstered

It also has a nicely made lock that disengages when you draw your pistol. There is also a tensioner to tighten its hold on your pistol.

Has numerous spacers for both holster and mag pouches. You can use any mags single or double stack. Ingenious design.

Here is the lever that locks the holster. When you draw, your middle finger hits it and it disengages.

ugupemyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by Jasonub

I have both the bladetech and the double alpha racemaster. The racemaster is about 4 tenths quicker for me.

I do not own a Glock, but the double alpha draws really smooth for me. As noted before it accepts n frames of any barrel length without adjustment. I've used mine with a 617 in practice, but it was a bit loose with the smaller revolver.

The blade tech works well and I don't spend the day checking the lock on the holster. It draws a lot smoother after I lubricated it with silicone. I've used this with the 617 as well and it feels more secure for practice.

I have Blade-Tech's, have used the CR Speed and have a DAA Racer. Blade-Tech's are kept for IDPA only, for everything else I love the racer. Plus I can run my 6-1/2", my 5", and my 4" barrels in one holster with no modifications needed. I only needed it for the N-Frames so no need to by the Race Master which the biggest selling point for the higher price is the interchangable inserts. The CR Speed I was always worried about knocking the gun loose.

I've used the CR speed for several years on my 5 1/4" 627 .38 super for ICORE and steel challenge mostly. I like it. I used to use a safariland 002. Compared to that it's faster. But I've never used any other holsters. It's never broken or required re-adjustment.

I did push the gun out one time years ago when I was moving a table and my elbow got between the grip and my hip and the gun rolled outwards and out of the trigger lock. :sick: (unloaded - luckily, on concrete - unluckily, sparked when it hit - beautifully, wasn't damaged beyond a scuff or two - luckily.)

It hasn't happened since, though I am always mindful of it when re-setting stages, sitting, starts facing uprange etc. You could always just un-bag and bag up at the line as some do to avoid the risk.

I've run a CR Speed for the past year and thinks fine. It doesn't feel like a brick like the AA does though. I use a GP100 and didn't know what insert to get for it, so the adjustability of the CR Speed was what lead me that route. I've also used it several times for 2011's and I feel it holds the GP better than the 2011 as the trigger guard is bigger on the GP. Another guy shoots a GP100 at our local USPSA matches with a safariland 002 holster which I believe can double for IDPA (IDK IDPA holster rules so don't quote me on that). I used a crummy fobus for a two matches until my blue started wearing which sparked the swap. You could always shoot the 627, just count to 6 and reload or get bumped to open hah.

Edited by MorningSwoop

I saw that blade tech has a "pro series speed rig" for 80 bucks. I tried to search if anyone has any experience with the holster but couldn't find anything. I haven't seen a picture of the revolver version, but it looks like a blade tech doh with the top end cut almost to the muzzle. I think I will order one soon and let everyone know how it works out.

post-45159-0-23349000-1379692317_thumb.j

Edited by SamboSon

I saw that blade tech has a "pro series speed rig" for 80 bucks. I tried to search if anyone has any experience with the holster but couldn't find anything. I haven't seen a picture of the revolver version, but it looks like a blade tech doh with the top end cut almost to the muzzle. I think I will order one soon and let everyone know how it works out.

Looks exactly like my rig, except mine was a standard version that I cut the front part out with my Dremel.

I didn't like the floppiness of the DOH mount and was able to take the hanger part off and use the holster mounted onto the Belt Bracket and adjusted it for the forward rake angle. Really like it and except for maybe steel challenge stuff won't cost you any time.

Looks like the one Cliff has been using for years.