Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was i right in asking for the MD to adjust the steel?

Sandbagger123

had a match and the steel would not stay up. looked to be just a turn of the bolt to fix it. some wanted to do it themselves, which i have seen done before, but i insisted that the MD be called to do the adjusting.

I got the feeling from some of the other shooter they did not like this as it took a little bit to get the MD there.

I assume what i did was proper. Was it?

Calling the MD shouldn't be necessary. The ROs should be adjusting the steel as needed throughout the match. If a shooter calls for a calibration, then call the MD (or designated calibration officer).

Edited by JAFO

The closest reference i could find for that, other than calibration, was 8.7.4:

Altering stage props, targets or any other part of a COF without the approval of a Range Officer, or setting, resetting or activating moving targets on a COF identified as “Closed” or “Off Limits” will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

That implies that any RO has the ability to set or approve the setting of a target.

When it comes to actually calibrating steel poppers, that is the job of the RM (frequently the same person at a local match).

Edited by High Lord Gomer

For a local match, the guy holding the clock is the RO and should be able to do the adjustments.

But if I put the clock down to use the wrench then I'm not an ro anymore. j/k. Thought it was just silly.

Seriously, ROs are responsible for the target management and that include steel. If you wanted it calibrated following adjustment - that's an RM. call - but at most locals no one is running calibrated ammo. Don't feel bad. Tell them your leaning and now you know.

A 'Competent Individual' should adjust the steel. In a local match the ROs are generally embedded. It is PROBABLY best that the MD/RM be called. It eliminates the arguments that occur later. In a LII or LIII match the adjusted steel really MUSt be calibrated. At a local match generally the calibratin knuckle is used. Is it really 100% right? No, to be 100% in compliance we should calibrate all steel with a calibratio gun that has been chronoed that morning. let us all be honest, this just ain't a gonna happen at a Local Match. So long as the steel is set at a reasonable level and maintained throughout the match this is all we can reasonably expect.

Now, if a piece of steel or any prop or target needs to be corrected, the MD/RM needs to be notified. Oft times the persons in a squad are wonderful people, but the mechanical aspects of some targets are not their baliwick. Better to get he guy that knows than have multiple reshoots and then go get him. THe match flows better and the MD/RM isn't pissed off.

Guys, as a MD, it's at least courtesy to let the MD do it or at least know about it. Remember, you are only one squad and there may be many more following behind you. If it's a recurrent problem, then the MD will know about it in the event it's faulty and needs new hardware or welding,etc. Besides that, if it's not set right, then you start having reshoots and complaints about steel and who does that go back to?? The MD.

I'm not saying the MD is the only one that has to do it but you should have at least have told him so he can be aware of what is happening at his match.

Our local ruling is: If you have a REF you call the MD/RM to come see what happened. When this is followed there are rarely any major back-ups and the match flows. When this is not followed we have sadly had to throw out a stage as the repair was NOT done in a manner that maintained the presentation and presented a consistant shooting challenge.

One reshoot due to REF is all we allow. After that call the MD/RM. Now if there is a problem, it is not your problem, it is owned by the MD/RM. If you odn't call him, you own the problem and if the stage is tossed or your squad gets a zero on a stage becasue you all shot it wrong because you fixed the stage wrong, it is YOUR fault.

Same thing said two ways sort of.

• 3 weeks later...