Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM-Pro Problems

Jfarewell

Alright guys I just got a 24" Mossberg JM-Pro Tactical as a dedicated 3-gun shotty. I've done about an hour of loading drills and took it out to the range today and put 25rds through it. My problem is that after just this little bit of testing my thumb feels like it's been slammed repeatedly in a car door, I flinch any time one of my daughters comes anywhere near it and I'm finding all kinds of corners in my house that I had forgotten about.

The Issue:

The elevator has a half moon cut out of the front of it (comes that way from the factory) and when go to load the shells it catches my thumb on the way out. Not only does it slow me down but it hurts like a #!*%@#$. I have looked around a bit to see if there is an aftermarket elevator available for a 930 but haven't seen any sign of one. I know there are others out there with this problem and I have a match coming up in two weeks. Does anyone either know of any after market part or other solution for this before the match?

This is what it looks like now.

post-46380-0-86791700-1378583334_thumb.j

This is a picture of one I saw that DukDuk had up here. I like this very much. =)

post-46380-0-35967200-1378583345_thumb.j

C-rums welded my lifter and all is good.

Your problem is not just a JM 930 complaint my buddies new Versa-Max eats' his thumb up too, as well as many other guns that are being loaded FAST on the clock.

If Jeff isn't doing it anymore then find a good local smith and tell him what you need done. If he can't figure it out you're talking to the wrong guy for the job.

You could just wrap some athletic tape around your thumb until you have time to send it out to get welded for now. You can still get your thumb caught but it doesn't hurt. That's what I did until I decided to weld it up myself. Really isn't that hard to do if you have a welder and some time. The only problem I had is the gas wasn't working right when welded it so I have a few bubbles where I welded it but it doesn't affect function.

I would say do it yourself if you can. If not take it apart and see if a local shop can weld it up for you and smooth it out. Find a shop with a welder, I did mine with a TIG, and ask if they can do it. Would be cheaper than having a smith do it and it would be a fast turn around.

After I weleded mind I ground it down smooth, sanded all of it and then polished the snot out of it as well.

You could just wrap some athletic tape around your thumb until you have time to send it out to get welded for now. You can still get your thumb caught but it doesn't hurt.

I think I'll just do that for this match then get it fixed up right. I may not put out my best times but it's a local match anyway and will be fun regardless. Thanks for the suggestions.