Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-TREME PLATED SWC 200 GR, 45ACP

MrRickZO6

Hello Everyone!!

New to the forum and I am happy to be part of it.!!!!

I have a question

I just bought some x-treme plated swc bullets, 200 Gr, and am looking for some loading data. Can't find it anywhere and when I called extreme they told me they do not give loading info on their bullets.....so ....I am looking for a OAL and some recipes for HP-38 powder. I am looking for 900 fps

Thanks!!!!

I'm trying to load xtreme 200gr swc for my Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 and not having much luck yet. FTF issue with round catching on the barrel ramp. Trying various OAL, will try 1.20 next. Anyone else loading these for this 1911? I'm using HP38 at 5g, but that's not the issue. I can't even get the first round to rack in reliably. I also tried it with a Wilson Combat mag, a bit better but not much.

Edited by sdbreload

I'm trying to load xtreme 200gr swc for my Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 and not having much luck yet. FTF issue with round catching on the barrel ramp. Trying various OAL, will try 1.20 next. Anyone else loading these for this 1911? I'm using HP38 at 5g, but that's not the issue. I can't even get the first round to rack in reliably. I also tried it with a Wilson Combat mag, a bit better but not much.

You could try loading up dummies, no powder or primer in different lengths. This was how I found the COL to use for the xtreme flat points I load for my R1

While my 225 FP's are different from your swc's, this is how I found that anything longer than 1.20 with the xtreme FP's was a problem. When loaded longer they tended to have FTF issues, would not go completely into battery and on occasion the bullet would stick in the barrel when I went to extract the dummy round. But all the test rounds I have fired at a COL of 1.20 have functioned just fine in both the Wilson ETM mags and the Tripp mags I use.

I have found that these are very hard to get to run reliably in any of my 1911s. Wilson Combat doesn't recommend plated 200gr SWC in any of their guns. Just my experience. And I have a "lot" of them left :(

James

Thanks James. I'm afraid I may have a lot of mine left too if I can't get them to work. The R1 manual only recommends 230gr RN, but I thought I could get SWC to work too, maybe not :(.

You could try loading up dummies, no powder or primer in different lengths. This was how I found the COL to use for the xtreme flat points I load for my R1

While my 225 FP's are different from your swc's, this is how I found that anything longer than 1.20 with the xtreme FP's was a problem. When loaded longer they tended to have FTF issues, would not go completely into battery and on occasion the bullet would stick in the barrel when I went to extract the dummy round. But all the test rounds I have fired at a COL of 1.20 have functioned just fine in both the Wilson ETM mags and the Tripp mags I use.

Thanks ToneyK. I have been using dummies to test. I'm taking a break from trying to get SWC to work, but will try again. I just got some Berry's plated 230g RN and will work with those for awhile. The gun is very new, so maybe breaking it in for awhile first will help.

Edited by sdbreload

Until I run out of all my other bullets, the 200gr X-Treme SWC are going to collect dust - not worth my time and trouble.

I've also got some 200gr X-Treme Flat Points I'm trying to shoot up. They run more reliably - in some guns - with certain mags. I like them, they make nice holes. Loading to 1.20 nominal OAL.

James

Just got off their website and it says velocities up to 1500fps and You are OK using mid range jacketed loads and high range lead loads....

That would be a hell of a bang out of a 45 but they are probably referring mainly to some of the other calibers....

Do they have limits posted somewhere that are specific to our 45's?

I used their 155, 165 and 180 plated buckets with WST and it was in the range higdon gave online. I would use jacketed info, start at the bottom and work up. For length I think the last time I did SWC in my R1 I was around 1.22 but honestly forget. Their flat nose bullets ran in my Sig 229 just fine and I've thought about using those for my 1911 in USPSA.

I load X-Teme 45 acp 200g SWC with 4.8g of WST. I load the bullet so the shoulder is only about a finger nail width above the case mouth and my tapper crimp is .469. You’ll want to load some dummies to try. These shoot fine from both my 5” bears.

• 2 weeks later...

I load X-Teme 45 acp 200g SWC with 4.8g of WST. I load the bullet so the shoulder is only about a finger nail width above the case mouth and my tapper crimp is .469. You’ll want to load some dummies to try. These shoot fine from both my 5” bears.

++++++1 to what rocice said!!!!!

I have never loaded any SWC, but at a recent major match found many shooters preferred a lighter SWC to my typical 230gn RN. Now I want to try them.

Question: Will I need a different bullet seating die as I currently use the standard Dillon carbide die set in all stations. Thanks for you input.

I sold all of my SWCs because of feeding issues. Everyone kept telling me shorter, but i really needed to load longer. As for the loading advice, use 231 data for lead SWC, and then add more powder. Plated bullets run slower than lead.

I think I'm going to buy some of the 225 flat nose plated bullets next time I need bullets and check length and feeding in my 1911. I'm also curious how the holes look on paper. USPSA targets with the 230 round nose make a pretty small hole. I'm hoping the flat nose makes a little easier hole to see in a pinch. My only problems of loading SWC in my Remington R1 were my own reloading fault, not paying attention mostly and not checking them.

I think I'm going to buy some of the 225 flat nose plated bullets next time I need bullets and check length and feeding in my 1911. I'm also curious how the holes look on paper. USPSA targets with the 230 round nose make a pretty small hole. I'm hoping the flat nose makes a little easier hole to see in a pinch. My only problems of loading SWC in my Remington R1 were my own reloading fault, not paying attention mostly and not checking them.

If you are talking Xtreme 225 FP's, they feed just fine in my R1 and my Springfield Mil-Spec. But they do need to be run pretty short, the longest I have been able to set them is 1.20, due to the shape of the bullet, they have a really short taper on the tip, longer OAL and it starts to catch in the rifling of the barrel. They are also about .055 shorter than a typical RN (.585 compared to .640 for a Berry's RN) so you have to set them that much shorter OAL to get the same velocity from a recipe you may have for a given RN. An Xtreme 225 FP with an OAL of 1.185 will have virtually identical velocity to the Berry's RN's I have set to an OAL of 1.24, base of both bullets is at the same place inside the case so the space for the powder charge is identical.

At least this is what I have found over a Chronograph.....

I have never loaded any SWC, but at a recent major match found many shooters preferred a lighter SWC to my typical 230gn RN. Now I want to try them.

Question: Will I need a different bullet seating die as I currently use the standard Dillon carbide die set in all stations. Thanks for you input.

I haven't loaded SWC's but you should be able to just flip the seat tip in the Dillon die to the flat side instead of the round end....

• 1 month later...