Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-TREME PLATED SWC 200 GR, 45ACP

MrRickZO6

I never got good results with plated SWCs (Rainier) at any OAL in guns specifically set up for cast H&G#68 clones.

I used up what I had in practice and as Barney Bullets.

Xtreme makes a 200 gr plated roundnose and Berry's a 185 gr hollow based roundnose that feed like hardball if you want a lighter bullet.

• 3 months later...

I load X-Teme 45 acp 200g SWC with 4.8g of WST. I load the bullet so the shoulder is only about a finger nail width above the case mouth and my tapper crimp is .469. You’ll want to load some dummies to try. These shoot fine from both my 5” bears.

++++++1 to what rocice said!!!!!

I have no problem with my Xtreme SWCs in any of my Wilson's or Baer's...it sounds like just finding the right length, I don't know what the feed ramp or chamber profile looks like on a Remington but would assume it to be fine...good luck

Both Patrick Sweeney and Bill Wilson did extensive testing with 200 gr semi wadcutters of H&G style and felt it fed as well, if not better then, 230 ball. Whether I shoot Laser Cast or plated, my guns will shoot better groups then I am capable...I found their reports to be interesting. When you actually look at the way it hits the ramp...it is just about the same as ball...fwiw

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting 200gr lead SWC from Xcalibers (http://www.x-calibers.com/index.html) for about a year and truly love them. Accuracy is better than RN and feeding is extremely reliable. I shoot a Springfield loaded lightweight.

I decided to try some plated SWC only because it makes cleaning the gun afterwards significantly easier. Failure to feed problems all day long. I've tried OAL from 1.225 to 1.250 with no luck. Maybe I'll try the 1.20 suggestion above when I get a chance, but for now, I'll relegate the plated bullets to practice. A shame really.

The lead and plated bullets are nearly identical except the plated bullets have a rounded shoulder while the lead is sharp. Maybe this contributes to sticking halfway into the chamber? My other theory is that the harder plating is less forgiving and does not flex/deform while entering the chamber? In any case, a couple extra minutes cleaning is a small price for high reliability.

The other tradeoff, as noted above, is that lead reaches major PF with a lot less powder (about 10% less) than plated. I use 5.1 grains WST at 1.250. You can drop this to 5.0 if you are feeling daring. It will make about PF = 166. Also, 4.9 gr Titegroup is a favorite load. The only problem is that seeing such a small amount of dark colored powder in the bottom of a 45 case is quite laborious.

R. Garrett

I decided to try some plated SWC only because it makes cleaning the gun afterwards significantly easier. Failure to feed problems all day long. I've tried OAL from 1.225 to 1.250 with no luck. Maybe I'll try the 1.20 suggestion above when I get a chance, but for now, I'll relegate the plated bullets to practice. A shame really.

I also tried plated SWC at several OALs with no luck and gave up.

I have found that these are very hard to get to run reliably in any of my 1911s. Wilson Combat doesn't recommend plated 200gr SWC in any of their guns. Just my experience. And I have a "lot" of them left :(

James

Want to sell them?

Jeff

Well i tried my first 45 acp hanloads today. I had 200 gr. swc from extreme used the suggested oal of 1.25 and fed fine in my range officer as well, i use titegroup exclusively and the 5.1 gr. charge is about what i want as well. Thank you tires and golf.

I have found that these are very hard to get to run reliably in any of my 1911s. Wilson Combat doesn't recommend plated 200gr SWC in any of their guns. Just my experience. And I have a "lot" of them left :(

James

THAT IS INCORRECT IMFORMATION. To the contrary I have read Bill Wilson told Patrick Sweeney he could not find a better round then the old H&G profile SWC bullets and they may actually feed better then ball. It in Volume I of the Book of the 1911 from memory. I've been shooting them through my Wilson's for years without a problem. It seems several folks in this forum, myself included have had better luck running the Xtreme 200 gr SWC longer at 1.245. Hope this helps.c

I sold all of my SWCs because of feeding issues. Everyone kept telling me shorter, but i really needed to load longer. As for the loading advice, use 231 data for lead SWC, and then add more powder. Plated bullets run slower than lead.

+1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

My extreme bullets came in 1 week from factory on left coast to northeast US.  I was planning to reload with bullet a thumb nail thickness longer than case mouth. Now, thinking I will use Baers recommendation of 1.245, which might give me the 30 thousand shoulder Trimmy mentioned. I have no 231 powder, but have Unique, Herco, AA#5, #7 and #9, HS-6, Silhouette, CFE pistol and Titegroup. Have the Speer #12 manual show Unique, AA#5, AA#7 and HS-6. I might try to load some with Unique and a batch with

HS-6.